Why become a member? ×

Band's keys player "wants to play bass on a few songs...." Alarm bells?

solo4652

I too feel that the OP sets the scene but I couldn't see anything about the feelings / suggested resolution for his role in this scenario - so it is harder to give a definitive answer. If you are unhappy about it and it isn't clear what you are supposed to do while the keyboard player plays bass, it's a potential problem. If you can play something else and / or it's part led by your encouragement, then great. 

In my current duo I have actually suggested that my partner plays bass on a recording next year. We've also had one of my students get up and play bass at a gig (actively encouraged by me). No dramas. However, I did an album session for a singer songwriter recently who spent half the session saying "I play bass too". When I calmly said "what do you need me for then?" and "play on your own album", I got a look of shock and panic. I wasn't offended, I just didn't see why he kept feeling the need to say it and use me for the session.

As a multi-instrumentalist who plays with one of my oldest and best friends, it comes down to good communications and being respectful to one another. None of us here are making our millions so it has to be fun and I feel anyone in a band should be made to feel valued if they are to stay.

Best of luck in getting it resolved to a satisfactory conclusion. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Someone probably said the same thing about removing the lifeboats from the Titanic.

Why would you have needed lifeboats on a ship that wasn't going to sink? Makes perfect sense. Plus, when they made a law that all boats had to have enough lifeboats for everyone, at least 1 boat, the eastland, rolled over under the weight of the lifeboats and 800 people died.

Either way, this is playing the bass, however bad you are its unlikely anyone is going to die

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, zrbass said:

May I suggest that way too  many keys players play bass anyway. My biggest beef with them that most just play as if theyre playing solo...banging the left hand on the bas notes.....

They often think they can do everything. Piano. Organ fine and oif the song needs some brass or woodwind, OK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leschirons said:

The point is, is she good looking enough to be a bass player?

Irrespective of gender, it's a given that the bass player is, 99% of the time, the best looking in the band. If she wants to be in the club, then she needs the qualifications.

Agreed!

If she looks like Tony Levin (shaved head, big grey moustache), then she is stage-ready. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

They often think they can do everything. Piano. Organ fine and oif the song needs some brass or woodwind, OK.

A hard stare at their left hand, accompanied with the words, “I will cut it off!” normally works. ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Indeed we do, and quite often that is because we're used to having to do everything.
However, the grave mistake of meddling with bass territory is one that should occur only once - out of lack of experience or somesuch. Once pointed out, it should never happen again.

From my days in figured bass accompaniment: the harpsichord player and the bass part player would meet up a bit early, and together decide on how to solve the task ahead. I gather this isn't even needed in many bands as long as keys=/=bass.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Japhet said:

I'm going to suggest that I take over some of our singer's duties in the band, namely, turning up late, not learning songs we're meant to, not lugging any gear around and never buying a drink.

Add neglecting to tune your instrument and cranking it in a tiny venue you could take over some of the guitard's duties, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1