Why become a member? ×

Artists you can't listen to anymore.

TheGreek

As a teen and 20 something I was a sucker for music with loud distorted power chords and warp speed fretwinking. Nowadays I way, far, much prefer stuff not 'made using real instruments '. Perversely I still love guitars but hate most guitar centric music other than flamenco and country chicken pickin.

• Like 2

Most of the rock and metal I grew up listening to 30 years ago doesn’t really float my boat any more to be honest. I’d very rarely choose to listen to any of it. 

On the other hand I’ve been getting back into EDM/house/techno on my weekly motorway commute (aka a traffic jam) which I was well into back in the day.

But I’m realising that most of the new stuff I’m buying isn’t grabbing my attention either - seems I’ve already experienced the heyday of good dance music in the early/mid 1990s. Hmm. 

• Like 4

Led zeppelin , Ozzy solo stuff, metal church, 

Tbh I haven't played either of those artists stuff for many years . I did have The Dark album by metal church , and that ended up as part of a large vinyl sale last year . 
It could be easy for me to add  more to this list ( classic motorhead and the stones for example  ) , but I know that I will  get round to playing said bands at a random time and would be a tad disappointed if I sold those albums. 

I saw a few  live festival  gigs on you tube  over the last couple of years ( Bloodstock / wackem / hellfest ) and I saw this quite live, energetic French punk band . They were really good . I thought that they seem really good for a newer ban£. 
Tagada Jones have been around a lot longer than I thought . 😬 . Some bands just slip through the radar ..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

As much as I love the music he made with Pantera, Superjoint Ritual and Down, I can't listen to anything by Phil Anselmo any more.  It breaks my heart, but the White Power stain can't be rinsed out.

That's a rough one. I love Down, Nola is one of my all time favourite records but I can't enjoy listening to a white supremacist. Same goes for Michael Graves era Misfits

• Like 2

I used to love guitar solos when I was young, but now find to be too fingers-on-the-blackboard piercing and screechy.

10 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Most of the rock and metal I grew up listening to 30 years ago doesn’t really float my boat any more to be honest. I’d very rarely choose to listen to any of it. 

Me too.

• Like 1

On 22/11/2023 at 13:51, MacDaddy said:

Having never owned any music recorded by 'Rolfy boy' the thread title does not apply. 

But if you are happy to separate a person's actions from their creative output keep on listening to him.

Just to make it clear that I don't listen to Rolf. I only mentioned him because he seemed an obvious ommission from your list.

To be honest he used to be a bit of a hero of mine for appearing to be a nice unassuming person who was very talented in many fields. Not anymore though, for the obvious reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jackroadkill said:

Yeah, that's a bugger, too.

I can't believe he came out as racist and was surprised that the punk community immediately disowned him. He accused the people not going out to his gigs any more of oppressing his free speech.  He's not too bright

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lurksalot said:

Elvis Costello , he deserves this.. :whoopass:

Funnily enough, I never liked Elvis Costello back in the day, he wasn't punk enough, but we have added 'Pump it Up' to our set list and listening to some songs I haven't heard in ages, like 'Watching the detectives', I'm starting to like him.

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Funnily enough, I never liked Elvis Costello back in the day, he wasn't punk enough, but we have added 'Pump it Up' to our set list and listening to some songs I haven't heard in ages, like 'Watching the detectives', I'm starting to like him.

I like a lot if his stuff, but after a properly crap gig at the Liverpool philharmonic last year he should have given everyone their money back. 

I know if people offer a product or service and properly fluff it, the payment for it becomes moot , if a show properly fluffs it , well, we can all just suck up our £85 a head ticket price can’t we 🤬

8 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

MeatLoaf.
He sued a local tribute act in order to get a domain name from him.
The thought of listening to him now makes me itch.

Thankfully never got into him . However, he showed his true colours at knebworth  ('85 supporting purple etc) and suffered that day for his attitude 😆

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Got lucky on this one, realised I was becoming too used to listening to certain stuff so made a conscious decision to stop. My favourite artists do not feature in any of my playlists. I now get recommended lots of new and sometimes exciting music and when I hear a track I loved from my youth comes on I still love it and it hits me like a ton of bricks. 

3 hours ago, lurksalot said:

I like a lot if his stuff, but after a properly crap gig at the Liverpool philharmonic last year he should have given everyone their money back. 

I know if people offer a product or service and properly fluff it, the payment for it becomes moot , if a show properly fluffs it , well, we can all just suck up our £85 a head ticket price can’t we 🤬

Fair enough.  

At the age of about 16 I was briefly into Happy Hardcore and Hard House.....luckily it didn't take long to get more into stuff like House and Techno that I still like today. 

Still though, I'll give it it's dues - I had some excellent nights out at Happy Hardcore raves and there's something to be said for music that only appeals to 16 year old ravers. Almost punky I suppose, in an annoying cartoonish way.