Why become a member? ×

What’s your birth year bass?

Rayman

I already have one of mine: 1983 Ibanez MC924, the serial number pinpoints it to December 1983. I was born in November (I'm turning 40 tomorrow) so it's very close! 

It's the one on the left in the pic below, I have since sold the 1981 MC924 on the right and kept my favourite: the 1983 has a thinner and narrower neck, more ergonomically sculpted body, lighter weight, and I favour the PJ pickup combo over the soapbars in the 1981. It also has more logical controls, with a pan pot instead of a 3-way switch.

MC924x2.jpg.2c9c5ad716311d0ff671d18eb5cb0dd3.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

I already have one of mine: 1983 Ibanez MC924, the serial number pinpoints it to December 1983. I was born in November (I'm turning 40 tomorrow) so it's very close! 

It's the one on the left in the pic below, I have since sold the 1981 MC924 on the right and kept my favourite: the 1983 has a thinner and narrower neck, more ergonomically sculpted body, lighter weight, and I favour the PJ pickup combo over the soapbars in the 1981. It also has more logical controls, with a pan pot instead of a 3-way switch.

MC924x2.jpg.2c9c5ad716311d0ff671d18eb5cb0dd3.jpg

Happy birthday tomorrow. Big 4 O 👀👍

• Like 2

I was born at the tail-end of 1956, on a Saturday. The factory was closed for the weekend and for the New Year holiday, so not one Fender bass manufactured in 1956 was actually made while I was alive.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

I pondered and I puzzled why all this should be, I've got a sneaking suspicion someone's putting something over on me.

So instead I went for the first bass manfactured with me actually, y'know, alive. Fender were still building basses in batches in 1957, and the first batch was in March. That's the batch that produced Bill Black's Precision.

And mine.

IMG_8308.thumb.JPG.a55daaded9ca1825c2ce74d7db547555.JPG

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Not sure...

Which interesting and decent short scale basses with good upper frets access were out in 1976?

Rickenbacker 3000 perhaps. 21 accessible frets. 

Guild Jetstar bass too maybe, 21 accessible frets as well. 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Rickenbacker 3000 perhaps. 21 accessible frets. 

Absolutely!

Forgot about that.

That's it!

Without doubt!

Absolutely perfect!

A 1976 Rickenbacker 3000 :

image.png.6f5e0cfe765b16271895bfa6f8cfd18f.png

Thank you! :i-m_so_happy:

If I had the kind of money these goes for though, which I don't, as cool as it looks and it would be to own one, I would rather buy something else.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

9 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

I made my entrance in 1952 (at Chase Farm hospital in Enfield) so a '52 Precision would do it.

But I'm with KiOgon and others and my YOB-ish bass is a Re-Issue '51 Precision.

My Brother was born there 20 years later though. 

I'm not really impressed with any Fender I've played. They seem to be similar weight to Trace Elliot cabs. 😆

Don't really see the point of spending thousands of pounds on what is essentially an antique. I'd probably be worried about it going missing all the time. 

My current bass is my Daughter's YOB, or close enough. That makes it a classic rather than a vintage or antique. 😆

• Like 1