Why become a member? ×

2 or 3 finger technique (not thumb)

nilorius

Almost always two, alternating. Sometimes one in a semi 'pick' style (imagine gripping a pick between thumb and 1st finger, but without the pick. The edge of the 1st finger acts as a soft pick). The three finger gallop makes an appearance for the occasional tune ('Does Your Mother Know' at the moment) or if I'm a bit bored during a practice or rehearsal. 😃

• Like 1

I use 3, my two fingers are not really fast enough for whatever reason and they don't seem to be getting faster, so when I first got a bass when I was a kid i used 3 fingers and thats what stuck, one fingernail like a pick, one finger both sides (like geddy lee but not as good), two for medium paced stuff, 3 for everything else. In no fixed reason, just whatver my hand decides to do.

• Like 1

I assume you're talking about the plucking, rather than the fretting hand. Two should be sufficient for most things. The ring finger is the weakest and, because it shares some tendons with the second finger, does not operate entirely independently of it. It may give you "more speed" in theory, but probably not in reality. I spent some time a few years ago attempting to learn to use it and found it wasn't worth the effort. YMMV.

• Like 2

I'll use them all. I learnt classical guitar as a kid and when I moved to bass the fingering was very similar so I've never changed my approach. My index and ring finger are the same length so if I'm just using 2 fingers I tend to use 1 & 3 as I don't need to angle my hand. I'm not sure it really matters in the big picture. No one has ever commented. I do love a Billy Sheehan gallop though.

• Like 2

I have started working on incorporating proper 3 finger plucking technique into my finger play, but as it is now I exclusively use it for galloping.

Other than traditional 2 finger plucking technique, though I more so stroke the strings, in a slightly inwards slapping motion, with the outmost tip of my finger/nails, rather than really striking or plucking them, I also frequently incorporate double thumbing, classical acoustic guitar finger picking technique (again currently I only use thumb+index+middle finger, but am also currently started working on making including the ring finger feel natural), as well as flamenco guitar style index and/or middle finger flicking technique, depending.

Sometimes though I will just use 1 finger plucking technique, more akin to James Jamerson, either index or middle finger, depending.

Beside that I also sometimes utilize a pick, my preferred ones being either a Dunlop Tortex .60mm, or a Wedgie Soft 3.1mm rubber pick, depending.

Really it's a matter of what feels and sounds best depending on the musical context.

And regarding on whether using 3 fingers is faster than 2, I don't find this to be true, but it is definitely less straining to play fast using 3 fingers compared to just 2, I found though that fastest of all, at least when we are talking about single string picking, actually even faster than using a pick, is the flamenco guitar style index and/or middle finger flicking technique.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Two mostly if I'm with a band or in session, although a thumb comes in handy. If soloing extemporaneously (sorry for the gobful) I use a bendy pick. I once tried to use my pinky, kind of as a reserve, but it confused the remains of my aged brain, so I stopped and went back to watching the rain run down the window.

• Haha 1