Why become a member? ×

The Opposite Of GAS?

Bassman1974

It's a funny one,

As I progress through this journey of playing and learning, I realise that I simply do not need 6 bass guitars. Two instruments I thought I'd never sell, a Vintage Hofner and an AM Jazz, are potentially going up for sale as they just don't get any air time.

My question: If you previously had an extensive collection, what made you decide to whittle it down to a few less, and what instruments did you keep?

17 minutes ago, Bassman1974 said:

As I progress through this journey of playing and learning, I realise that I simply do not need 6 bass guitars. Two instruments I thought I'd never sell, a Vintage Hofner and an AM Jazz, are potentially going up for sale as they just don't get any air time.

I agree.

I don't see the point of owning gear that isn't going to be used.

IMO it's a better plan, with more satisfying results, to put all your money into 2 fantastic, rather than 6 medium priced, instruments.

• Like 1

At one point I had about 50 guitars and basses, a load of synths and other high tech sound generating devices, plus a well stocked home studio. 

The studio stuff was sold after I discovered that my engineering skills were the weak link in the recording process, and paying for studio time with a good producer/engineer generated far better results for a lot less outlay, plus what home recording/composing I need to do these days can be achieved completely on the computer.

I was then ruthless with all my other instruments, because I couldn't see the point of owning stuff I wasn't using. All the synths and samplers have been replaced with a small controller keyboard and the plug-ins that come free with Logic Pro X.

My guitar and bass count is now 9. That's two 5-string basses (main and backup) for one band, two bass VIs (main and backup) for the other band and 2 guitars for composing and recording. I have two more guitars and another bass VI that will get sold when I get around to listing them.

I’m down to 3 categories on musical instruments

My fave ever bass which I’ll never sell

The basses I need for my bands (ok prob one too many here)

An electric and an acoustic guitar

In the past I’ve had different types of bass, you know the classic three of P, J, Ray, but I just end up aiming for the same sound from them so it’s pointless imo. As such I’ve now just got Mustangs for band duties.

52 minutes ago, Bassman1974 said:

If you previously had an extensive collection, what made you decide to whittle it down to a few less, and what instruments did you keep?

Divorce 🤯 I went from 30 to just two Squiers! No regrets.

Now I am back up to a sizeable but reduced collection. The Squier stage of my life was seriously brilliant and I am not precious about kit these days. I have stuff because I can but I wouldn't be upset to reduce it again. 

I don't know about an extensive collection in comparison to some, but I reckon I had more than the average.

Moving back to playing only 5s made it relatively easy to justify selling the 4s, and then the 5s that I was less attached to started to look like clutter, and then lugging cabs that weren't Barefaced seemed pointless, and then it became a bit addictive and all the pedals and accessories that I'd never really needed to buy in the first place got moved on.

In all, I must have shifted 60 pieces of gear since the pandemic struck, including 9 or 10 basses. Whilst I still have more than I can play at once, I reinvested the cash I got back into the hobby on a smaller number of nicer bits that I use much more often; a couple of similar Ibanez SR Premiums (main and backup) for gigging with, a proper Ray 5 for my own entertainment at home, and then a couple of new good quality gigbags and proper non-DIY pedalboards with cases. A financial break-even, but a much clearer and more focussed carry-on.

I used to have a lot of instruments  - poor quality kit, unused guitars that I owned as a child, instruments that I did not play (glockenspiel, mouth organ).

Now, I have a clear pathway to instrument upgrades:

1. Buy something that I want to learn. 

2. If I stick with it, buy a better one that is more playable. 

3. Stop buying them  - I am not good enough for further upgrades. 

I do have a spare bass (3, now), so need to sell a few of them.

But right now, I have one good instrument in each category (bass, acoustic bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, electric piano)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ahpook said:

An attack of 'Sick Of Loadsa Instruments Dilemma' if I ever saw one.

SOLID - the opposite of GAS

:)

Do you go through a 'Living In Quasi-Unused-Instrument Despair' (or LIQUID) phase before you get to that state?

Must be sublime if you manage not to.

Edited by Ed_S
...to make a bad gag even worse.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

56 basses have entered the building, 48 have left.

They left because they weren't being played, less favoured ones were sold to finance new acquisitions, and the occasional fire sale when things got financially grim (like when moving house).

In the latter case, I kept the ones which weren't worth that much and sold the ones I'd get the most back from.  This unfortunately meant selling some tasty stuff I would rather have kept, but that's less important than keeping a roof over one's head.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Do you go through a 'Living In Quasi-Unused-Instrument Despair' (or LIQUID) phase before you get to that state?

Must be sublime if you manage not to.

:D

On fire today, sir. On fire.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

I have very complex feelings about owning multiple expensive instruments and amps. I battle the guilt of owning expensive things that don’t get used very often, which is why at one point my two main basses were worth a total of £350.

Also after having some pretty expensive basses over the years, when I switched to cheaper gear I felt a strange sense of liberation and relief. I don’t know if it was just because I was less worried about minor issues or damaging them, but I was always finding fault with more expensive basses.

Now I am down to a MusicMan Stingray (which was insanely cheap) which I use all the time, a 5 string Squier which I don’t really play but it was a gift, and my backup is a Harley Benton which a good friend gave me, so I probably won’t sell that either.

I also wasted a lot of money on amps over the years, EBS, MarkBass and Aguilar but now use an old Trace combo that was £120 and sounds as good if not better than those other brands.

I play a few gigs and have a solid main bass I have owned for 7 years, so I don’t really look at bass gear anymore.

• Like 1

I'm at the stage of thinking about moving some gear on but TBH I see a lot of my gear as a potential Life Insurance policy - gear I've acquired for not a lot which I hope to sell down the line for a bit more. 

I have several basses I'll be reluctant to part with - the two that @Andyjr1515 built for me, my VC and the @Jabba_the_gut mini. While I'm still playing I plan to hold onto my Yamahas too. 

I hope that once I've started to sell stuff it'll become easier. 

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

56 basses have entered the building, 48 have left.

They left because they weren't being played, less favoured ones were sold to finance new acquisitions, and the occasional fire sale when things got financially grim (like when moving house).

In the latter case, I kept the ones which weren't worth that much and sold the ones I'd get the most back from.  This unfortunately meant selling some tasty stuff I would rather have kept, but that's less important than keeping a roof over one's head.

This.

I think you’re actually me. Apart from the Scottish bit of course 

• Haha 2

The most number of basses I've had at any one time is 3. Now I've only got 2. I've only ever really owned one amp set up at a time. For 2ish months I did have a giggable combo and amp/cab in the house. I toyed with the idea of splitting my signal so one would be clean, the other effects only. I couldn't get bothered in the end and sold the combo.

I've simply not got the money or room for more than what I have right now.

4 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The most number of basses I've had at any one time is 3. Now I've only got 2. I've only ever really owned one amp set up at a time. For 2ish months I did have a giggable combo and amp/cab in the house. I toyed with the idea of splitting my signal so one would be clean, the other effects only. I couldn't get bothered in the end and sold the combo.

I've simply not got the money or room for more than what I have right now.

Space is infinite  - you can always squeeze another bass in😉😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

...unless we're talking double basses :ph34r:

Fortunately you can always squeeze another double bass in a Hilbert Hotel without evicting any children even if the hotel is full.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert's_paradox_of_the_Grand_Hotel

The solution here is to move into the Hilbert Hotel and you never have to worry about storage space again, so you can have an infinite number of basses, even double basses.  You give me problems, I give you (philosophical) solutions.

I remember doing this years ago when I was heavy into maths and I might have ingested too much of something before reading and it made perfect sense at the time. I've just looked at it again and it doesn't make quite as much sense now.

Rob

• Haha 1

At peak GAS I had 8 basses, same number of electric and acoustic guitars, 3 keyboards, a Premier drum kit, 3 djembes, 4 caixas, 2 repiniques, a dhol, a set of congas, 3 darabukas, alto sax and two banjos. I'm now left with just 3 basses, 3 electric guitars, one caixa and one djembe. A shortage of space at home plus growing kids,  a divorce and loss of house led to some serious thinking, resulting in a wholesale offloading of the rest plus loads of CDs, books, tools, clothes, DVDs and more besides. I'm now a born again minimalist and these days spend very little on things leaving a lot more to spend on doings.

• Like 1

I've recently sold about £800 worth of pedals and stuff and I'm looking at amps and pedals and absolutely nothing within budget is screaming "buy me"!

These days I almost always play one of my 2 Sandbergs so I'm not gassing for a new bass, I like my 2 amp heads a lot, and I refuse to use a pedalboard larger than a Nano+ as I don't want to carry it. I always come back to the same favourite pedals so I don't need more of them.

It might be nice if I had a tablet to put my sheet music on. That would be a lot lighter than carrying around folders!

The only other thing I look at regularly is some of the Boss Waza Air headphones. Would be a great idea for practice.