Why become a member? ×

Outside of BC and any band you might be in do you ever talk about music with anyone else?

Barking Spiders

Only with one girl at work, she is a great singer though as she’s now married & got a daughter she no longer does anything music wise other than listen to Busted (and buy everything they put out). But she’s the only person I chat to who has some form of understanding.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

It just occurred to me that outside of BC and any band I might be in I very rarely have chats about music with anyone else, particularly women and never ever on any first dates I've been on. Does anyone else find the same?

LOL the last time I was single, in my mid-40s, music was my obligatory topic at dates. I don't mean I wanted my date to be an accomplished musician or able to discuss the finer points of musical composition, but music, as a player or as a listener, had to have some role in his life. No interest whatsoever in music? Next please, don't care if you look like/are worth as much as Brad Pitt.

If something is important to you, you do need a partner who can at least understand, but preferably fully share it, whatever it may be.

I'm now married to a musician and only a small number of my friends are non-musical. Even those I've known since childhood are fans of bands and sometimes go to concerts, so we talk music even if they may not share my own taste. It's rarer for me not to end up talking about music with someone than the opposite.

• Like 2

I’ve lost interest in listening to music except in the car. I have my own headspace there. I am starting to tire of the music I have there.

don’t really talk to people about music, though I will talk about instruments strangely. Partner is very musical but has no interest in playing it as she was forced to do so as a child; she understands my wish to play it, but doesn’t get the rapture that happens 

Yes with most of my mates, we are all into music, a few play in a band, one mate has his own studio, when I meet up with my best mate Cliff a lot of music stuff is chatted about including bands etc. and playing guitar and bass :D 

The wife has no interest in the music I like !! 😛 

Both of my sons are into music as well so that's cool :) 

John 😎 

Yes, very often.  I have two brothers who are big music fans, and a couple of the people I work with are too.  Every Thursday we take a group of the kids to our woodland school and each gets to play a track of their choice whilst we eat dinner.  There are only two rules - the music must be appropriate and they can only play each song once (no repeats, week to week).  There usually follows some lively discussion about each choice.

All my good friends are either musicians or people who are interested in music.

What I do find interesting is that when I meet new people and they discover that I play in bands they are nearly always surprised that my musical interests for both playing and listening are quite tightly focussed and that I don't have a blanket acceptance of all music. 

• Like 2

Most of my circle of friends are in or around the music scene/business but of those who are not, music forms a small part of the range of conversation topics and playing music an even smaller part. My non-musical friends (male and female) are interested in my gigs/rehearsal anecdotes in the same way as I'm interested in their work or holiday anecdotes - it forms part of a wider, general conversation. Generally with these friends I am not the one to start an in depth conversation about music but I'll join in if one develops.