Why become a member? ×

It's 1985...

Rich

This thread probably says a lot about the age demographic on BC......😉

Still had my first car in 1985, a 1966 Bond Equipe GT4S (cost me all of £100) which being old was positive earth electrics, so I couldn’t fit a car stereo conventionally.   Initially had a ghetto blaster on the back seat, them fitted a Blaupunkt stereo in a home made centre console (a nice bit of oak to match the wooden dash!) with the power lead going directly to the battery.    I think I only had 3 cassettes, so played to them on repeat:

- Simple Minds: New Gold Dream

- Dire Straits: Making Movies

- Best of George Benson.

Mind, in the house I probably already had around 1000 LP’s - almost all gone to car boot sales now 🙁

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was 14/15 in 1985, and I was just in the process of moving from being into pop music to being into melodic rock and NWOBHM.  Bands like Def Leppard, Saxon and Diamond head were coming onto my radar, followed shortly by the US invasion of the '80s, with Bon Jovi, Skid Row and the like.
That's pretty much been me up until about 2010 or so, when I've started to listen to some rap and dance music, but basically If musicians made it, I'm more likely to listen to it.

On 08/09/2023 at 11:54, Rich said:

...assuming you're a} alive and b} old enough, what tape are you putting in your Walkman or car stereo?

In 1985 I wasn't old enough to have a car, I was still listening to bands like Duran Duran and Ultravox that I'd been listening to throughout my early teens, but I was starting to listen to other bands like A-ha and INXS.

Another thing from back then...
My dad worked in Dunstable, just a couple of buildings away from the AGFA factory, so he could get mates rates on bulk packs of cassette tapes (remember them?)
They did a version of a C90 tape with an extra 3 minutes on each side, so overlength albums would fit onto one side, meaning you didn't have to pick your least favourite tune to lose!

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Alien said:

My dad worked in Dunstable, just a couple of buildings away from the AGFA factory, so he could get mates rates on bulk packs of cassette tapes (remember them?)
They did a version of a C90 tape with an extra 3 minutes on each side, so overlength albums would fit onto one side, meaning you didn't have to pick your least favourite tune to lose!

Blimey, yes. Remember selling a slightly longer cassette back then but couldn't remember the brand.

46 minutes ago, Alien said:

A C90 that goes up to eleven?

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Most likely either:

The Cure / Head on the Door 

JAMC / Psychocandy 

or The Pogues /  Rum, Sodomy and the Lash.

Would have been original copies. If recorded by me whatever tape I could find cheapish in a multi pack from Woolworths.

Edited by tegs07

4 hours ago, Alien said:

Don't remember the “long” C90’s, but I do remember trying the C120’s as you know you’d be sure get a full long album per side (and many of the “prog” LP’s were long......)  - unfortunately they’d regularly jam, stick, and / or uselessly fill your cassette deck with yards of unspooled tape....🙁.  I think I used to favour BASF chrome C90’s.   

A bit of nostalgia 😎

4 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Don't remember the “long” C90’s, but I do remember trying the C120’s as you know you’d be sure get a full long album per side (and many of the “prog” LP’s were long......)  - unfortunately they’d regularly jam, stick, and / or uselessly fill your cassette deck with yards of unspooled tape....🙁.  I think I used to favour BASF chrome C90’s.   

A bit of nostalgia 😎

the-cassette-tape-and-the-pencil.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

A bit of nostalgia 😎

The 120s were handy for the Radio 1 concerts that were occasionally aired.

And, yes, they were a pain for getting snagged up in the machine…

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

The 120s were handy for the Radio 1 concerts that were occasionally aired.

And, yes, they were a pain for getting snagged up in the machine…

If I’m not mistaken, I think the C120s were made from thinner tape so they could fit more on the spool, which is why they frequently got chewed up. 

• Like 1

In September 1985 I'd just switched career paths to IT, left home, was about to buy my first house. I had a new Mini Metro (yeah, I know....) which I had a better cassette player put in. I seem to remember it was chrome C90s? I seem to remember Mahler 2 was a regular then.... 

My Linn Sondek was 3 years old then (it'll be 40 soon). My main cassette deck was a Nagamichi - wish I'd kept it.

I was 11 in 1985, and I hadn't yet discovered the rock/metal that would go on to be important to me.

So I'd say something like Chris De Burgh "Spanish Train" or Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" at that stage of my life.

I was still a year away from discovering the joy of Iron Maiden, Kiss or the Scorpions...

21 hours ago, Alien said:

TDK made the SA100 tape - 50 minutes each side.

The SA was my tape of choice for sound quality (on my fairly modest, 1984 Pioneer stack system and 1985 Ingersol "Walkman.") A mate of mine warned me against using chrome tapes as they wore out the play heads (apparently.) This may, of course, be bullshine.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.df3bdd997e3ddbbec8e8b9b37af519cd.jpg

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 3

On 08/09/2023 at 20:14, Velarian said:

I remember having a couple of cool cassettes (Teac I think) which had faux aluminium spools, that looked like a reel to reel set up. 

TDK Metal tapes, supposedly the best quality of tape coating and according to the meter markings on my Aiwa cassette deck capable of taking an additional 2dB recording level before distortion. These also had a partly metal shell to give better alignment of the tape over the recording and playback heads

I used these for the stereo masters of all my home recordings.

Edited by BigRedX

Not very of the time but in 1985 I was 12 and often found myself stuck upstairs in the houses of my parents' friends and their slightly older children, who would play with stuff by The Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Damned. The parents were teachers and would be partying downstairs. 

I'm afraid my "walkman" would have been a Matsui. And my 7" Gatefold single of The Cult's "Rain" would have been blasting out of a mono dansette, but I've gone slightly off tangent there.

19 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I'm afraid my "walkman" would have been a Matsui. And my 7" Gatefold single of The Cult's "Rain" would have been blasting out of a mono dansette, but I've gone slightly off tangent there.

Ah the Matsui . I remember getting one for my 14th birthday and having to lug around a shedload of cassettes in my backpack.