Why become a member? ×

Cr#p covers by artists who should have known better

Leonard Smalls

17 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

I once overhead a discussion where someone claimed that the measure of a great songwriter is whether the window cleaner, postie, builder will still be humming their tunes a couple of decades later. On that bases the luckiest pub band in the world are doing pretty well.

They're still humming the tunes because you can't get away from the bloody things :lol: said band are still wheezing out the same songs in their 80s.

Ah well, at the end of the day it's all subjective. Some people like 'em. Me, I wish they'd never picked up a mic/guitar/comb & bog paper.

• Like 1

Just now, Rich said:

They're still humming the tunes because you can't get away from the bloody things :lol: said band are still wheezing out the same songs in their 80s.

Ah well, at the end of the day it's all subjective. Some people like 'em. Me, I wish they'd never picked up a mic/guitar/comb & bog paper.

For me they wrote a bunch of truly great tunes in the 1960s and early 1970s apart from Charlie Watts (RIP) I don’t really care much about anything that they have done since. That said any pub band that could write Paint it Black, Sympathy for the Devil, Street Fighting Man, Satisfaction, Gimmie Shelter, Start me up, Wild Horses (Flying Burrito bros version is fantastic), Angie, You can’t always get what you want etc is not going to be playing in pubs for long.

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

I once overhead a discussion where someone claimed that the measure of a great songwriter is whether the window cleaner, postie, builder will still be humming their tunes a couple of decades later. On that bases the luckiest pub band in the world are doing pretty well.

I read a similar thing years ago regarding what Mutt Lange told Phil Collen (Def Leppard) about guitar solos. You should be able to sing a great guitar solo

36 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I read a similar thing years ago regarding what Mutt Lange told Phil Collen (Def Leppard) about guitar solos. You should be able to sing a great guitar solo

I saw Alain Caron in Mike Stern's quartet some years ago. Yes it's fusion, so he took a couple of solos, and one of them was so damned melodic the tune actually got stuck in my head and I found myself whistling it next day. 

2 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Recently I overheard a builder singing the chorus of Cant Get You Out of My Head, which on that basis would put the writers behind one of Kylie's biggest hits among the greats

Edited by Barking Spiders

11 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Recently I overheard a builder singing the chorus of Cant Get You Out of My Head, which on that basis would put the writers behind one of Kylie's biggest hits among the greats

And I wouldn’t dispute that. A couple of decades at the top of the charts would suggest that Kylie her band and her songwriters are doing something right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Cathy Dennis also wrote a top flight of cheeseball pop tunes with 'Toxic', 'I Kissed A Girl', 'Reach For The Stars', and 'Sweet Dreams My LA Ex'. They might not be stone cold classics, but I bet the residuals are nice.

Rob Davis was in err... Mud. In fairness he also worked on Toca's Miracle which is a bit of a banger.

Soz if it’s already come up previously…

Has anyone seen Fripp and his Mrs Toyah doing a couple of covers at recent festivals in YT? Musically (of course) they’re great, however, (and I was a fan in the 80s)…. Mrs Fripp doesn’t seem best suited to singing Led Zep or Lenny Kravitz covers…… 

On 01/09/2023 at 23:01, Barking Spiders said:

Or to be precise nuck-nuck-nuckin' on heaven's daw-aw-whoaw. A rare case of where he Dylan original is 100 x better than a specific cover. 

+ 1 for Judas Priest's risible Johnny B Goode and I'll add their execrable 'Green Manalishi'

+ 1 for Metallica's Whisky in the jar

No mention yet of Jagger and Bowie's atrocious Dancing in the Street nor of the woeful Aerosmith take on Come Together. Then again Aerosmith have been terminally shyt3 so perhaps they didn't know any better. 

The van halen version of Dancing in the street , is equally as bad . Not a lover of the song anyway .😬

2 hours ago, Rayman said:

Has anyone seen Fripp and his Mrs Toyah doing a couple of covers at recent festivals in YT? Musically (of course) they’re great, however, (and I was a fan in the 80s)…. Mrs Fripp doesn’t seem best suited to singing Led Zep or Lenny Kravitz covers…… 

I sometimes find it difficult to concentrate on the song when I watch these.  Toyah offers a couple of distractions.

5 hours ago, Rayman said:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/483087-have-you-ever-been-tempted-to-learn-a-song-just-in-case/

19 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

The van halen version of Dancing in the street , is equally as bad . Not a lover of the song anyway .😬

I tell you what, it's a great song to play when you've got a fabulous female voice in front of you and a big horn section behind you. Who cares if it's little more than a whole lot of low Fs, it's one of my favourites in our set. Real crowd-pleaser too.

For bad covers I think I ought to mention that version of Under the Bridge by All Saints (I used to wind up one of my friends who was a huge fan of RHCP by telling him they were planning to cover Never Ever....)

While I'm here though, I'd like to mention Laibach's version of War as a brilliant cover. It takes the classic anti-war anthem and imbues it with (post-)modern cynicism, all the while managing to stay an anti-war anthem.

Edited by AndyFereday
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I see Alice Cooper has released a cover of "Magic Bus". It doesn't actually sound that bad (though I'm not so sure about the drum solo at the end), but I'm just wondering why.

And don't forget, Alice Cooper's epic-sounding "Feed My Frankenstein" is actually a Zodiac Mindwarp cover.

• Like 2

Superstar by the Carpenters. A cover of Delaney and Bonnie's "Groupie (Superstar)" 

They took all the rough edges off, changed the title and the lyrics and hence the meaning of the song. Turned it into a MoR song with no message. Even Karen Carpenter's voice was not enough to save it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Superstar by the Carpenters. A cover of Delaney and Bonnie's "Groupie (Superstar)" 

They took all the rough edges off, changed the title and the lyrics and hence the meaning of the song. Turned it into a MoR song with no message. Even Karen Carpenter's voice was not enough to save it!

With respect, John, I couldn’t agree with you less. Though logic is on your side it is, for me, one of those songs that sends chills. 

Maybe if i had heard the original first I wouldn’t think that way. 

Awaiting the Poole Town choir’s version of   ‘Tubthumper’😁

1 minute ago, Mickeyboro said:

With respect, John, I couldn’t agree with you less. Though logic is on your side it is, for me, one of those songs that sends chills. 

Maybe if i had heard the original first I wouldn’t think that way. 

Awaiting the Poole Town choir’s version of   ‘Tubthumper’😁

The original was the B Side of Comin' Home, and it had so much pathos, to me, it should have been an A Side. The only upside is that it made D & B a few cents.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Donna Summer with McArthur Park. 

I know a lot of people don't like the original either but it was a masterpiece of composition and production.

I love both versions - even the full Donna Summer Suite. So OTT and camp it is glorious!

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Joan Baez's version of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

I would have supported the death penalty for that one!!

Amen to that. The version on The Last Waltz is magnificent. Love the way Levon pushes it so hard on drums without ever overcooking it.

• Like 3