Why become a member? ×

Cr#p covers by artists who should have known better

Leonard Smalls

19 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve just listened to it…it’s heavy handed, a bit overproduced…

sounds like it was from a film soundtrack?

Which version? 😂

Actually the original S&G version was used on the early Dustin Hoffman film The Graduate :D

5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve just listened to it…it’s heavy handed, a bit overproduced…

sounds like it was from a film soundtrack?

To me this is one of the most astonishing statements I have ever seen in a discussion about music, that S&G's version is a bit overproduced in comparison to the Disturbed version.

Previously I would have strongly argued as to how wrong you are. However, I recently sat through a presentation at the sound production department of the uni my son is off to. The lecturer played us a track before and after his post grad students had got their hands on it. I couldn't believe that everyone else in the room preferred the new version which I hated to the same level that I hate Disturbed's SoS. 

I'm sure age has a lot to do with it, but it just goes to show that there is no right or wrong, and that it's all down to how we hear things.

10 hours ago, Graham said:

There's a number of nu-metal bands who did some awful, earnest covers

Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence

Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes

Machine Head - Message In A Bottle

Couldn't agree more though these bands wouldn't have known better as they're c@ck. Nu-metal was one of the lowest points in music along with the all those post grunge bands though these genres are interchangeable . The Disturbed cover is just too painfully earnest/earnestly painful.  Then there's that atrocious take on Smooth Criminal. 

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Couldn't agree more though these bands wouldn't have known better as they're c@ck. Nu-metal was one of the lowest points in music along with the all those post grunge bands though these genres are interchangeable . The Disturbed cover is just too painfully earnest/earnestly painful.  Then there's that atrocious take on Smooth Criminal. 

Oh, I quite like the Smooth Criminal cover, partly because it's fun and also because it is very nostalgic for me - I was exactly the right age when it came out

3 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

I couldn't believe that everyone else in the room preferred the new version

It's probably more to the fact that as musicians we are used to hearing raw music as its supposed to sound in real life. Most people are used to hearing overproduced final versions of recordings. 

It's similar effect to seeing people as they are in the street vs photos they put up on social media. 

9 hours ago, Norris said:

No, it's plain nasty. Go back and listen to the original for as many times as it takes to cure you 😉

It's absolutely superb. I'm astonished that so many people on here have cloth ears. Maybe it's because you're all really old.

• Haha 1

The Disturbed version of Sound of Silence is a better rendition of the words. They're very powerful words and the original S&G version has either been got at by the film producers or sung deliberately like that for some reason. I'm not up with 60s protest songs and that part of US history is a bit difficult to understand.

Although I think the Disturbed version is trying too hard to be different. A lot of the phrasing and some tuning has been changed in an effort to make it different. Probably didn't need to do that. 

13 hours ago, tauzero said:

That's a brilliant cover.

As recorded, it's... OK. There's this live version featuring Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge that takes it to a completely different level though, with some beautiful S&G-style harmonies. 

Check it out. 

Edited by Russ
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Urban Bassman said:

Foo Fighters cover of Baker Street is pretty awful I think.  Rod Stewart did a few dodgy covers but by far the worst was his version of Weak originally by Skunk Anansie....terrible...

Oh my giddy aunt! I had forgotten about that cover of Weak. I love me some Skunk Anansie and I’m rather partial to a bit of Rod (oo er..), but… I went and listened to it after reading your post, thinking that I hadn’t heard it. That is until the chorus came in and I realised that I had indeed heard it before. Hopefully I can forget about it again!

• Thanks 1

Just now, KingBollock said:

Oh my giddy aunt! I had forgotten about that cover of Weak. I love me some Skunk Anansie and I’m rather partial to a bit of Rod (oo er..), but… I went and listened to it after reading your post, thinking that I hadn’t heard it. That is until the chorus came in and I realised that I had indeed heard it before. Hopefully I can forget about it again!

It is a bit of a shocker!

2 hours ago, TimR said:

The Disturbed version of Sound of Silence is a better rendition of the words. They're very powerful words and the original S&G version has either been got at by the film producers or sung deliberately like that for some reason. I'm not up with 60s protest songs and that part of US history is a bit difficult to understand.

Although I think the Disturbed version is trying too hard to be different. A lot of the phrasing and some tuning has been changed in an effort to make it different. Probably didn't need to do that. 

Not so different. Nevermore went for a truly different approach. Disturbed heard it and, years later, used it as a template to make a commercially bombastic version, devoid of any subtlety or feeling, cramming faux emotion down the throat of the listener with all the grace of a wrecking ball and with none of the guile or creativity of Nevermore.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

As recorded, it's... OK. There's this live version featuring Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge that takes it to a completely different level though, with some beautiful S&G-style harmonies. 

Well, not good, but at least it isn't the abomination that they made as a single, so I guess that is an improvement. Sh*t with glitter on it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Not so different. Nevermore went for a truly different approach. Disturbed heard it and, years later, used it as a template to make a commercially bombastic version, devoid of any subtlety or feeling, cramming faux emotion down the throat of the listener with all the grace of a wrecking ball and with none of the guile or creativity of Nevermore.

That's awful. At least Disturbed appear to have read and understood what the lyrics are about. 

"Faux emotion".? That's what every actor and singer does and has done since the dawn of time. That's what they get paid for. 

• Like 1