Why become a member? ×

Cr#p covers by artists who should have known better

Leonard Smalls

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, not good, but at least it isn't the abomination that they made as a single, so I guess that is an improvement. Sh*t with glitter on it.

I must say the Disturbed version does polarise opinion between those of us who think it's great and the unappreciative philistines.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

I must say the Disturbed version does polarise opinion between those of us who think it's great and the unappreciative philistines.

Indeed - even Rod Stewart has his fans who think he does good songs I would imagine!

But no, it isn't even musical, it is a travesty, and I like some of there other stuff. I guess they needed the money!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tauzero said:

It's absolutely superb. I'm astonished that so many people on here have cloth ears. Maybe it's because you're all really old.

I have to clean my ears out using a cloth after hearing the Disturbed cover of SoS . Not sure how old you are but I was born in the early 70s so the same age group as these post grunge and nu metal bands. That said, the Nevermore version that was put up is equally awful. Having a hearty dislike of metal and hard rock I guess I do have an inbuilt prejudice.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any insight as to why the original S&G number doesn't convey or reflect any of the anger the lyrics contain? 

Its almost like they're completely given up and resigned to apathy, while the lyrics get more and more angry. 🙄

Is it a 60s hippy thing?

Edited by TimR

I think this one qualifies as a bad cover of what was a bloody annoying song in its original form:
Human League - Rock Me Again And Again And Again And Again And Again And Again

As for the vocals on this, if it was me I would have wanted to forget about it rather than release it:

Gary Numan - On Broadway

And any cover by Guns And Roses. I loathe them as a band anyway, but they also released a lame version of one of my favourite songs and their fans seem to think they wrote it. I'll link the original version instead:
Rocket From The Tombs - Ain't It Fun

On 02/09/2023 at 12:29, TimR said:

The Disturbed version of Sound of Silence is a better rendition of the words. They're very powerful words and the original S&G version has either been got at by the film producers or sung deliberately like that for some reason. I'm not up with 60s protest songs and that part of US history is a bit difficult to understand.

Although I think the Disturbed version is trying too hard to be different. A lot of the phrasing and some tuning has been changed in an effort to make it different. Probably didn't need to do that. 

Another one i like, like the original and this for different reasons

On 01/09/2023 at 23:01, Barking Spiders said:

Or to be precise nuck-nuck-nuckin' on heaven's daw-aw-whoaw. A rare case of where he Dylan original is 100 x better than a specific cover. 

+ 1 for Judas Priest's risible Johnny B Goode and I'll add their execrable 'Green Manalishi'

+ 1 for Metallica's Whisky in the jar

No mention yet of Jagger and Bowie's atrocious Dancing in the Street nor of the woeful Aerosmith take on Come Together. Then again Aerosmith have been terminally shyt3 so perhaps they didn't know any better. 

Green Manalishi is epic The original is dark n broody but Priests version is sensational see also Diamonds and Rust. Give you Jonny b goode

Metallica's version of Am I Evil, is a straight copy of the original, but somehow much better. 

I suspect if Diamond Head had the production equipment available to them, the Metallica version is what they would have produced. Although the drumming on the original doesn't have the hindsight of 30 years of rock*.

*even if it is Lars. 😆

Edited by TimR

8 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I have to clean my ears out using a cloth after hearing the Disturbed cover of SoS . Not sure how old you are but I was born in the early 70s so the same age group as these post grunge and nu metal bands. That said, the Nevermore version that was put up is equally awful. Having a hearty dislike of metal and hard rock I guess I do have an inbuilt prejudice.

I was born in the late 50s. I've given up trying to work out what categories music is in these days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoombung said:

Maybe the worst cover EVER

There are a few that come close but the thing with Motown is that the singers could actually sing. On the other hand Jagger and Bowie are/were a couple of hacks who struck lucky but couldn't sing for $*** but they look a right coupla smug barstewards in this vid.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, chriswareham said:

I think this one qualifies as a bad cover of what was a bloody annoying song in its original form:
Human League - Rock Me Again And Again And Again And Again And Again And Again

As for the vocals on this, if it was me I would have wanted to forget about it rather than release it:

Gary Numan - On Broadway

And any cover by Guns And Roses. I loathe them as a band anyway, but they also released a lame version of one of my favourite songs and their fans seem to think they wrote it. I'll link the original version instead:
Rocket From The Tombs - Ain't It Fun

Live and Let Die by G&R?

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

Add the abortion that was the rework of Canned Heat’s Let’s Work Together by Brian Ferry.

I actually like both of these - although they are not exactly the same song.

Wilbert Harrison wrote and sang the original in 1962 , as 'Let's stick together' (as per the Ferry version.)

He later re-recorded a version as 'Let's work together' which was subsequently covered by Canned Heat

in late 1969/1970. Despite the songs being very similar, the lyrics are quite different in places.

The Canned Heat version was one of the first singles I bought, and still sounds great. It was one of the early

songs I played along to in my bedroom, and introduced me to gritty 12 bar stuff. Bryan Ferry's take

on it also sounds good to me, especially as it features one of my favourite guitar players Chris Spedding. ☺️