Why become a member? ×

Cr#p covers by artists who should have known better

Leonard Smalls

11 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Marilyn Manson's version of Tainted Love was just an embarrassment.  I think that might have been the point that ol' Brian tipped over into being a sad, fat parody of everything he'd set out to destroy.

Marc Almond - Days of Pearly Spencer

I was talking to my dad about this on Monday, he'd been watching the Proms - Northern Soul, and said he'd not recognised any of the tracks apart from one by the Trammps. Who he thought were a one hit wonder, so I googled them and found 3 other tracks, one of them Zing Went the Strings of My Heart - which he identified as a cover of a song from the 50s.

Essentially a lot of songs from the 50s were modernised versions of 20s and 30s numbers. His dad used to point out this to him. My dad would then point out to me the 80s tracks that were covers of songs from the 50s and 60s. A tradition I continue to this day with my kids. 😆

There's a lot more songs around that are covers than anyone realises. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Marilyn Manson's version of Tainted Love was just an embarrassment.  I think that might have been the point that ol' Brian tipped over into being a sad, fat parody of everything he'd set out to destroy.

If you think that's bad you don't want to hear his version of Sweet Dreams (are made of this) 😖

17 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Metallica- whisky in the jar

Judas priest - Johnny b Goode 

Tangerine dream - House of the rising sun/ purple haze 

megadeth - anarchy in the uk

Motley crue- halter skelter

I loved Crues version of Helter Skelter, agree with the rest and re Anarchy in UK Motley Crue also did a pee-poor version 

Alexandra Burke's awful, awful version of "Hallelujah" which completely ripped the soul out of it. Simon Cowell is partly to blame for this utter travesty.

In a similar vein to William Shatner but nowhere near as entertaining, there's Telly Savalas's version of "If" where apparently loads of reverb was deemed sufficient to conceal a complete inability to sing. "Don't sing, Theo" as someone said in the spoof version of it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1