Why become a member? ×

Rolling Stones new album!?

solo4652

In the nicest possible way I can think of I actually wish they'd just go away. Grew up with them, love everything with a passion up until about 84 and have absolutely no desire to hear them hacking thru the blues catalogue just because they can...And without Charlie, well..whats the point anyway.  

• Like 2

What does it matter? Is anyone forcing anyone to listen to any potential new Stones material? Is anyone forcing anyone to go to their concerts? No, they're not. If you're not interested stick to playing covers in the local Dog and Puke and be on your merry way. If you don't want to still be playing at 80, feel free to be filling your incontinence pants listening to what ever tickles your what not.

It's up to the Stones what they do. If there's still an audience for whatever they're up to, all the best to them. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m not that keen on what I’ve recently heard from them but will be interested to hear the difference not having Charlie makes to anything new.

From something Keef said, it’ll certainly have stuff with Charlie on it, “You’ve not heard the last of Charlie Watts,” or words to that effect. Personally, although not a massive Stones fan,  I’d love to hear what the rhythm section of Jones and Jordan might bring to the party.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

If they did an album of stripped down largely acoustic numbers like “No Expectations” or “Love In Vain” or “Country Honk” then I could see that working for them. Especially since Charlie is no longer around. 

The idea of them having yet another go at rocking out and trying to compete with their former glories though... bleah.

• Like 2

I'm not and never have been a Stones fan beyond liking a fairly limited selection of their greatest hits, but I'll admit to being a bit fascinated that so many bands and artists that could have retired to enjoy a lifestyle most people will never experience years ago instead choose to keep releasing new music and touring.

At this point it's clearly not about the money and they must know that most of their audience only really wants to hear the 'classics' live so I can only assume that they still have a need to satisfy their creative drive.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

I can’t say that anything much in the last 15 years of theirs has seemed much beyond a rehash of older work, or on the same theme. They’re just a karaoke machine, other bands fall into the same class imho, not singling them out 

they might release “new” work, but I’m not sure anyone goes to their gigs to hear it as Cato says 

Edited by Geek99

On 27/08/2023 at 22:29, greavesbass said:

In the nicest possible way I can think of I actually wish they'd just go away. Grew up with them, love everything with a passion up until about 84 and have absolutely no desire to hear them hacking thru the blues catalogue just because they can...And without Charlie, well..whats the point anyway.  

I have the same view with The Who, surely its better to leave a legacy, take the view that Led Zep did. Bill left and Charlie died, draw a line.

• Like 3

I won't bother listening or paying to see them live, but that is a choice anyone can easily make (by doing nothing!) so it doesn't bother me that they are continuing.

I assume they enjoy making music, playing live, being famous, and making money..... I wouldn't stop doing that just because some people don't want to hear my stuff.

36 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Legacy? Stop doing what you enjoy doing to protect the feelings of people who have nothing to do with you?

I agree to a point but then you end up with people like Rod Stewart, looking like your nan is on a day out from the care home having a boogie, especially if the voice they are famous for is no longer there..

But having said that, I'm sure he has enough money not to care.

So now they go out all cuddly and safe playing predictable old blues numbers so as not to offend anyone...yet Brown Sugar has become the Devils anthem and is not to played, or even uttered by anyone, but thats the Stones I love. Young, dangerous and unpredictable. All they are now is a vehicle for cynical Micks bank balance which in itself is pretty obscene seeing as they're all worth gazillions. As for Rodders...dear oh dear, bu them Im still stuck listening to the glorious Maggie Mae/Wear It Well...brilliant

• Like 1

I doubt that I will be buying it, but good on 'em...! They're musicians and if they still want to releasing new material and touring, then that's pretty inspiring actually. It's not as if they need the money - I'm sure that even Jagger isn't bothered about that at this point. 

I've just played a blues festival over the weekend and run into an old mate that I played a couple of gigs with several years go (he was playing the same venue after the band I was playing with). He was saying that he was glad to see that I was still doing the circuit, bearing in mind that I assume that he's a fair bit older than me (I'm in my early 60s). I've no intention of stopping and neither has he. He said that he will keep going until he keels over onstage and leaves his last gig feet first! No reason that the Stones shouldn't do exactly the same... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 5