Why become a member? ×

Wear the band's logo t-shirt while gigging?

SumOne

Wear the band logo t-shirt when gigging?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Wear the band logo t-shirt when gigging?

• Yes
    • No

43 minutes ago, meterman said:

But also it wouldn’t bother me if I’d gone to see a band and one of them had a T-shirt with the band’s name on it. It’s not exactly Joy Division oven gloves or Sisters Of Mercy tea towels level is it?

If any of you subscribe to Desmond Doom on YouTube (and you really should), you'll be familiar with this fantastic item of clothing: 

hqdefault.jpg.b311be4454d609d7e0c49367b702fac7.jpg

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That’s a great idea. I should get a t-shirt with the band name, date, venue and time I need to be there for each gig 😂

Google should make an interactive calendar T-Shirt that can sync with the band diary.  Only need to remember to wear it then. :D 

• Haha 1

I don't see what's uncool about it. If you're in a cheesy function band (and I'm not knocking cheesy function bands here!!) All wearing the same band t shirt is probably the way to go, nobody would think you're cool trend setters anyway. 

I don't have one, but if I did I'd wear a t shirt with my bands logo on it for gigs. We have a great logo. I am not cool anyway, not even in a so-not-cool-its-actually-cool way. I drive a Volvo estate. 

I have a mirror pickguard on my bass with the band logo on. Does this make me uncool?

DSC_8629.jpg

• Like 2

My philosophy in life is who cares, wear what you want. Your coolest reference point is always going to be someone's pet hate and vice versa. Life's too short. Every time I go onstage I always take the view that one member of the audience might think I'm the best thing in the band and someone else will think I am lucky to be there. Do you own thing. I didn't worry too much about what people thought when I was 14 and it concerns me even less at 50. I'm sure my world view is both a blessing and a curse to me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Yep, totally uncool, no respectable artist would ever do that...

image.thumb.png.40c91cbda8b346ff9cad81660315de60.png image.thumb.png.85e412971e2380b9eda8ea0b01c2255c.png image.png.315ab10ddad101d34daaf45569ed757d.png

James Hetfield got interviewed about this. The other members and some fans got at him for it but whatever shirt he wore on stage got huge sales so it served his purpose.

• Like 2

I think we need more context.

Covers band wearing same colour polo-shirts or tshirts with logo on breast? Definitely not cool. I was in a band in the early 2000s who did this. I had agreed to wear them to turn up and set up in as it identified us as 'the band', but once on stage I thought we should wear proper clothes depending on gig - I was overruled (not outvoted, you do what the band leader asks)...

Originals band with different printed t-shirts as has been shown quite a bit since far looks great. In fact I'd go as far as to say if you all have different styles of print and they're available to buy - it's a great advertising spin. Slightly cool depending on execution. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Out of interest why is it uncool, I think I would 

I suppose there is potentially something a bit conceited about it, I guess it's not too far off having a t-shirt with your name written on it. And possibly it looks a bit too much like trying.

Personally though, I own a t-shirt of the band I'm in and would wear wear it live - but I am aware that about 50% of people think that is un-cool and I'm not cool enough to ignore that!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SumOne said:

And possibly it looks a bit too much like trying.

I get the point, don't want to look like a "try hard" but I think things have moved on and now it's "cool" to be good at something/ try hard.... But only if the outcome is good. So in this case as long as the t-shirt doesn't look cr@p (again, a matter of personal taste) then I don't think it's as much of an issue as it would have been 20-25 yes ago when anyone trying or doing well was derided.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I have been in bands where we have worn our band T-shirts while setting up, but we always got changed into our stage wear before playing. 

This ^

Since @Silvia Bluejay and I have to load in and set up the PA as well as all our other kit (instruments & rig for me, video & stills cameras for her) my shirt is always wringing wet by the time I'm ready to start playing.

I don't like it, but there's not much I can do about it until I'm ready to hire a road crew, so I keep a stagewear shirt in the car until the last minute and then change into it.

That being the case, it makes perfect sense to be wearing a band t-shirt whilst loading in and wandering around carrying cables and stuff. Staff and security recognise who who are and what you're doing, occasional punters come up and ask what sort of music you play, what time does the first set start, and is that a cello?

I've worn band T-shirts with several bands. Come to that, I wore a SMIDSY T-shirt when I was on the SMIDSY Robot Wars team. I don't see an issue with someone in the band wearing the band's T-shirt, but everybody wearing the band's T-shirt may or may not work, depending on the nature of the band. So it's not so much about what's on the T-shirt as whether it's a uniform or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Come to that, I wore a SMIDSY T-shirt when I was on the SMIDSY Robot Wars team

I'm sorry but Robot Wars is not cool. Especially if you're an engineer in a team.

It's just basically advanced train spotting. 

1 hour ago, Count Bassy said:

I won't even where the T shirt of band that I am watching. Always make a point of wearing another bands T-shirt, or something totally unrelated.

You'd never gain entry to an Iron Maiden concert with an attitude like that.