Why become a member? ×

Never spent so long learning a 3 note song...

Dubs

I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by the Proclaimers.

Got a wedding on Thursday and they've asked us to learn this. "I'll busk it on the night", I thought... 

It's taken me over an hour to nail the note placement 😐 As far as I'm concerned, those boys can go 500 miles and multiply, and they can go 500 more. 

Honestly don't know why I've bothered - a Thursday wedding during school summer hols means a dancefloor full of kids and sober parents, we'll see...

Anyone else struggled with this one?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Your bothering because the Bass Player Code and your sense of professionalism demands that you get it right.

It's my experience that only guitarists, keyboard players and singers wing it because they can't be bothered to learn songs.

It's only verses and choruses. Three chords with extra chords chucked in at the turn around in the last verse.

I love 3 chord songs.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Dubs said:

Got a wedding on Thursday and they've asked us to learn this. "I'll busk it on the night", I thought... 

It's taken me over an hour to nail the note placement 😐 As far as I'm concerned, those boys can go 500 miles and multiply, and they can go 500 more. 

Honestly don't know why I've bothered - a Thursday wedding during school summer hols means a dancefloor full of kids and sober parents, we'll see...

Ha, same! We have a wedding on Saturday (singer's nephew, our first gig for nearly 4 years) and we've been asked to do this. It is a tricky blighter to get right🙂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

A mate of mine worked with them a couple times. Apparently they hate each other. Arrive at the venue separately, separate dressing rooms, don't speak to each other and leave separately. 

And they’re twins so either they are actually sick of each other or are so similar that they’re actually sick of themselves 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I genuinely wouldn't even try to play it as it is on the record. This is a very easy one to busk along with and change the structure and feel as you go dependent on the crowd participation. half time bits, double time bits, double choruses, etc.... crowds absolutely go nuts for it. Well maybe drunk scottish crowds :D

• Like 2

We did a  Social club in Corby recently. We (I and the singer) thought it a good idea to do this song, as it went down well a few months ago when me and the drummer played (busked it) it for a guy that kept on asking. The whole place were up and doing that funny dance they do. 

I said we should do it properly this time. Well, we never got to play it, and if we had it would have been embarrassing. The guitarists couldn't play it straight enough, and the bass player couldn't figure out where the C# F# E bit goes, so at rehearsals he would play it a few times 🤨

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

I've had loads of simple songs that turned out not so simple after all.

Anyone who is dismissive of so-called three chord songs and so-called three chord bands should try playing the songs in question and making them sound good. 

A classic example would be Status Quo and AC/DC. The songs aren't as simple as some folks presume, and making it swing like those respective bands do is another thing altogether.

• Like 5

On 22/08/2023 at 16:58, Dubs said:

What i got a lot of problems with - not quit 3 note song, but such a mess for me - The eagles - Hotel California. I could even say - Donna Lee was easier.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 22/08/2023 at 15:20, SteveXFR said:

A mate of mine worked with them a couple times. Apparently they hate each other. Arrive at the venue separately, separate dressing rooms, don't speak to each other and leave separately. 

Used to see one or other of them pretty regularly in a south Edinburgh supermarket. At least - I assumed it was one of them, could well have been both, studiously avoiding each other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nilorius said:

What i got a lot of problems with - not quit 3 note song, but such a mess for me - The eagles - Hotel California. I could even say - Donna Lee was easier.

HC's a deceptive one. It's such a looooong sequence, and if you land on a root instead of a 5th (or vice verse) it sounds so wrong.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nilorius said:

I find it gets tiring on the fretting hand as you're holding down root, 5th and octave (basically a power chord) for almost the entire song - the outro is the worst part for that.

500 miles - I hate the bloody song so it just gets root notes from me, haven't found any problem with it except for hating it. Walk like an Egyptian - I found it could catch me out now and again. None of us could whistle so I did the whistle solo on kazoo. Have I mentioned that I hate 500 miles?

• Like 2