Why become a member? ×

Does and go straight into desk? No amp or preamp?

la bam

Does anyone here gig straight into the desk with no preamp or amp? 

I know it was a slight issue in the past with levels, but newer desks now offer direct input into the desk and good levels. (Z input or something?) and in ears or just a monitor cover the need for amplification. 

Only reason I ask as I've just done some recording again after a few years of doing none and I always go - precision - scarlet - laptop (ie no colour or preamp) and I'm constantly amazed how that sound just sits straight away nicely in the mix. 

So does anyone do that live? 

• Like 1

I do that, but it’s only on small gigs with an acoustic duo. Electro acoustic ( Ibanez or Washburn)

plugs straight into a Yamaha powered mixer. Never had any problems, although in some cases I do

also DI from a Fender Rumble 100v3 when I need to hear myself more. Some rooms just require 

more monitoring than the FOH speakers provide, ( and with an acoustic it’s best not to be

too near them as feedback can be an issue).

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1

I used to do this live all the time, and decades ago, though only when playing with larger/hired PAs.  With a decent DI box, monitor mix and good engineers, I didn't encounter any problems and didn't have to lift anything more than the bass/case.  I loved the simplicity and had some of the best bass tones I've experienced.  I've sort of gone backwards and now mess about a lot with backline and preamps.

Edited by three
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, la bam said:

Only reason I ask as I've just done some recording again after a few years of doing none and I always go - precision - scarlet - laptop (ie no colour or preamp) and I'm constantly amazed how that sound just sits straight away nicely in the mix.

When recording, if you go straight into the desk and record dry with tone controls flat, effects and eq can be added later, either through the software or by reamping. If you record with some effect on or with some part of the audio spectrum cut which you later regret, there's no going back. It's somewhat different when gigging.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, tauzero said:

When recording, if you go straight into the desk and record dry with tone controls flat, effects and eq can be added later, either through the software or by reamping. If you record with some effect on or with some part of the audio spectrum cut which you later regret, there's no going back. It's somewhat different when gigging.

Yeh, but the last 3 sessions I've done we've not added anything on or altered anything and it's just fitted nice in the mix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

If I'm recording  using the Wal I use the 1/4" output to go through Helix or pedal board then into Fuscusrite interface, plus the Wal balanced XLR output to go to the interface as a clean feed. Lots of choices that way with Helix/Pedal fx I don't have as VSTs.

With the Helix you have the option to record both the effected and direct sound of whatever you put through it via the USB interface. This along with the Helix Native plug-in allows you to make changes to the sound of what you have recorded should the mix need it.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

Agreed. Unless a desk has extensive eq or you are using an active bass with plenty, it's probably best to use some form of preamp/eq. I find bass straight into the desk can be a bit vanilla otherwise. Fine for recording where you can eq the bass at mixing/mastering stage, but maybe not for live work.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Indeed... Though I'd have to search online for it. Unless it's on the USB doohickey that came with my 92nd hand) Helix. 

While the tiny USB drive that comes with the Helix should contain a version of the manual, it will be the one that was current when your Helix was originally made. There is a new revision of the manual with each firmware update, so log in to your Line6 account and download the latest one, and update the firmware while you are at it.

• Thanks 1

Plugging into a desk can be fine and dandy. However, a piezo DB pickup with no buffer, going into a line level jack socket will sound horrible. This would be MUCH less of an issue for a passive electric bass but I would not automatically expect THE TOOOOONE! An active bass would be a safer bet. 

On 08/08/2023 at 19:14, la bam said:

Welcome to the secret sauce. A P bass played with a light touch into just some raw basic electronics is the most effective bass tone on the planet. Mid loaded, tight and crisp. With rounds and specially with dead chromes, its a tone that works with just about everything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2023 at 15:54, greavesbass said:

Welcome to the secret sauce. A P bass played with a light touch into just some raw basic electronics is the most effective bass tone on the planet. Mid loaded, tight and crisp. With rounds and specially with dead chromes, its a tone that works with just about everything.

Love the bass tone on this song. The signal path? Jazz bass > REDDI > board. 

https://youtu.be/Qsms8-lwCOI 

• Like 1

By far most basses won't sound good going directly to the desk, would need some kind of cab sim, or at very least a LPF, and a lot of soundmen doesn't know how to treat bass, add to that that there might be impedance issues.

I personally use this setup:

Buffer -> Tube preamp/subtle compression -> Subtle reverb -> Preamp with amp emulation and cab sim -> Tube preamp + DI with build in HPF

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Confused 1

On 08/08/2023 at 19:14, la bam said:

....  precision - scarlet - laptop (ie no colour or preamp) and I'm constantly amazed how that sound just sits straight away nicely in the mix. 

So does anyone do that live? 

I have found the same for recording my basses.  Seems to need very little post processing in the music I am involved in.

For small space gigs I have used bass direct into A&H ZEDFX HiZ mixer input, ditto mrs 3below's telecaster or acoustic guitars.  Works well enough.  If I feel really keen we use various sansamps or the great value Joyo american sound pedal.