Why become a member? ×

Relating to your drummer

Mickeyboro

I've played with the same drummer since 2009. We've done some practices together just the two of us when we want to figure something out about a song that's bothering us and it's always been beneficial.

Did it work? Well, we haven't killed each other yet, so I guess it did! But in all seriousness, I would definitely say it helped foster a "rhythm section as a coherent unit" mentality. Maybe time alone did that, who knows?

Hints? Keep it light hearted, but have a purpose - like working on a song or portion thereof in particular. I'd say going into it entirely rudderless will amount to playing 2 songs then spending the rest of the time drinking tea and talking bollox.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm - this could be a tricky one, Mick.

Sounds like a great idea but some drummers don't take too kindly to other musicians suggesting ideas they might like to try, so lots of diplomatic skills required.....

Also, some drummers (and other musicians also) really haven't listened to any new music since about 1995.

I worked with a decent enough drummer a few weeks ago but I made the mistake of mentioning the Amen break - and he'd never heard of it. :sad:

Maybe you could try listening to a new song the band are thinking of trying and work on it together, rather than picking holes in material you already play ?

Edited by musicbassman

Back in the day when bands were usually a gang of mates, a drummer I played with (through several incarnations of a few bands) was exactly that, we were best mates and used to hang out, go to gigs, take funny little pills, get off with girls, eat kebabs, etc blah blah.. 

This was all, I believe, reflected in our playing as a "rhythm section" if you want to call it that. We'd just naturally play stuff, lock into grooves, jam things and develop them into song structures, whatever. 

I somehow doubt this kind of way of going exists much now, (tho I'd like to think it did) 

Anyway good plan to try a "bass and drums alone" session and hope it is productive.. 

In your case I guess I'd make a mental note in advance  of a few things or areas you think would be useful to work on.

I'd start off with just jamming with some bass line ideas and go from there... 

• Like 2

Yup. I used to do bass and drums only rehearsals in between full band rehearsals.

It was very useful. Timing / tightness improved loads. Also forced us to learn the songs without guitar and vocal cues.

I got the idea from Mr Big. Pat Torpey and Billy Sheehan used to do it a lot.

• Like 1

At my current band, the drummer, at our first rehearsal, told everyone, that he plays each song everytime a bit different (rhytmical). So i thought - dahh, i'll play what ever i like and try to fast combine it with the drummer dreams. No problemo! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apart from 'slow down' or 'speed up' unless you drum yourself (I don't) I think it can be quite difficult to explain to a drummer what you'd like them to be doing in terms that make sense to them.

Suggesting ' No it should be baddum dum tish tish dum' will only get youso far.

I've generally taken the cowards way out - let the drummer lead and worked the bassline around that.

Having said that playing with just the drummer can be a thing of joy just in itself. No distractions from other band members who have their own wishlist of what they need to work on.

I'd be very suprised is you weren't playing better together as a unit by the end of the practice 

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

I have booked a practice session with our drummer to try to develop our playing relationship. Has anyone done this, did it work and have you any hints please?

I have, it works. A three hour practice session and you'll absolutely know if your playing relationship is viable.

• Like 1

IMO the best way of improving a working relationship with the drummer is picking the right guy, then gigging.

I play with some great drummers. Guys who listen. No show-offs, just a professional attitude, a brain, a good pair of ears and a desire to make the rhythm section fizz. 

Edited by chris_b

13 hours ago, Cato said:

I've generally taken the cowards way out - let the drummer lead and worked the bassline around that.

So taking the title of this thread literally I wonder how many of us do just this?

My experience is that drummers fall into one of two stools (see what I did there) Either they lead and you can slot in behind them or they just sit in the pocket behind you.

• Like 1

I have played with the same drummer since 2017 and it`s always been very natural, I have never had to try and lock in with him, it just happens. I guess it helps that he really knows what he is doing and is very good.

But don`t tell him I said that! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my current gigging band at the audition (I really wanted the position) I set myself up so that I could see the drummers kick-drum foot, just worked it from there. I’ve never really had to work independently with him but when we’re working on new material I just do the same, really helps me.

Our band went through a couple of spells of stability with the same drummer and things definitely improved. Then we went into a similar situation to @mrtcat to the extent that I don't know to this day the names of some of the drummers I played with. They were, for the most part, competent but that doesn't make up the almost prescient musical relationship that can come from playing together for a long time.

I've never actually spent time with just the drummer developing that relationship and maybe that would be a short cut.  

The drummer in my main band basically listens to me and follows what I play. He's also up for suggestions I make to improve the groove.

Other drummers I've played with were not so open to suggestions - they're no longer with the band.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

What is that then ?.. One of them traditional sports where you have to throw hammers at a goat or something? 😁

OK....I will negotiate a date of You and him. By the way, he likes to joke a lot.

Cheers!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gjones said:

The drummer in my main band basically listens to me and follows what I play. He's also up for suggestions I make to improve the groove.

Other drummers I've played with were not so open to suggestions - they're no longer with the band.

A lot of drummers likes bassists as much as Fredie Mercury liked to sing !