Why become a member? ×

Just looked on the social media this morning. Daily Mail and GB News (I follow neither) both have less than positive articles about Elton and then I made the mistake of looking at the comments which nearly all related to his sexuality and political views rather than music. 

I haven't watched any of his set yet, I watched QOTSA live last night, they were extremely good. I'll watch Elton later

• Like 1

Put on Elton last expecting his vocals to be a bit ropey after seeing him singing live a while back on a TV show but he was terrific, what a showman and what an amazing set of songs, his band was fantastic and EJ was incredible on the piano, he's a bit dodgy on his pins nowadays but as long as his fingers and voice are working who cares, his band and him killed it performance wise, what a great way to spend a Sunday night !! 😎 

John :) 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, madshadows said:

Put on Elton last expecting his vocals to be a bit ropey after seeing him singing live a while back on a TV show but he was terrific, what a showman and what an amazing set of songs, his band was fantastic and EJ was incredible on the piano, he's a bit dodgy on his pins nowadays but as long as his fingers and voice are working who cares, his band and him killed it performance wise, what a great way to spend a Sunday night !! 😎 

John :) 

yes his voice sounded good but his dictation was as bad as ever, not a massive fan, so not that familiar with the words, without subtitles I wouldn't have had a clue what half of them were

11 hours ago, merello said:

Is it safe to say Stingrays win Glasto?

I was there and didn't see any. That said I missed Candi Staton and didn't get close enough to see Elton's bassist.

Usual Fenders with the odd Rickenbacker everywhere else. Rob Mullarkey was sounding great with Louis Cole on his Wilcock shorty, and Thundercat was excellent with his signature 6. Also pleased to see the Nova Twins bassist rocking a pair of old Westone Thunders!

Edited by pineweasel

40 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

It was quite emotional watching EJ with Ray, Davey and Nigel on stage. I so would have loved Dee Murray to have been there, my first bass hero. 

As stated on here already, Matt Bissonette’s playing was fabulous last night but he stays pretty faithful to Dee Murray’s lines, only reinforcing what a wonderful and talented player Dee was… 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice fat bass sound on Barrington Levys set. Playing a sire through an ampeg by the looks of it. 

Some of the subtitles were funny trying to subtitle his scatting. 

Nova twins very entertaining too. 

I also really enjoyed Fever Ray. Really theatrical bonkers presentation which gave life to the songs. Looked like an office party gone horribly wrong. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

As stated on here already, Matt Bissonette’s playing was fabulous last night but he stays pretty faithful to Dee Murray’s lines, only reinforcing what a wonderful and talented player Dee was… 

Absolutely. Lovely playing and terrific tone from Matt. 
With no need to reinvent the wheel, Dee’s melodic lines, skipping over those songs (whilst Nigel laid down that solid tub thumping) was perfect. 
😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In person, Elton's set was good, but the special guests didn't feel special. My wife and I both felt that it would have been better with no special guests than the ones he brough out. Really shitty of Dua Lipa to pull out too. He had all of the graphics done and she can't make it. Must have had a good reason, but still, can't have been a very nice feeling for Elton. 

I was pleasantly surprised by The (formerly Dixie) Chicks. My wife wanted to see them and they were really good, even had a bit of a proggy breakdown at one point. Yusuf was also great. 

Got home about 1am, showered, bed. Still knackered today, but it was worth the trduge back to the car late last night. Your feet take such a beating and my own bed is so much better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

C

12 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Nice! I had mates go see them in Margate the other day and said the same. Really want to see them in London, but hate the o2, so will see what happens.

I love the gear Homme and Van Leeuwen use, most of its pretty cool and obscure looking. Shuman's basses have all sounded great too.

Can testify to that. I was in Margate and they were genuinely having a blast and on top form.  Seen them a few times and this tour is by far their greatest energy and performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishfacefour said:

I also really enjoyed Fever Ray

One of the highlights for me too.  I find myself preferring watching bands I don't know, over the ones I do.  Obviously it's a mixed bag but this year featured some really cool stuff.

Edited by acidbass

3 hours ago, toneknob said:

Apparently (according to search results) Thundercat is somewhere in the iPlayer footage. Top prize goes to whoever can find it.

He's not listed in https://www.glastofestfeed.com/news/live-coverage/watch-glastonbury-setlist-bbc-iplayer/  so I guess they weren't filming that stage, or he didn't want to be recorded.

• Thanks 1

On 24/06/2023 at 16:12, Mudpup said:

Generation Sex. They're loads of fun. Making it up a bit as they go along, a bit out of tune and screwing it up a bit but enjoying themselves in a grumpy way. Proper punk in front of 100,000 people 🤣

Shame they didn't do Love Missile F1-11 :(

This whole festival thing has become an abomination. So we wake up this morning to images of acres and acres of filth and rubbish left behind by this new "environmentally enlightened generation, for as far as the eye can see. Its over the love in the sun thing which is where it all started is over its finished. Time to ban all festivals. If ur not disgusted by this then....well, I give up.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, greavesbass said:

This whole festival thing has become an abomination. So we wake up this morning to images of acres and acres of filth and rubbish left behind by this new "environmentally enlightened generation, for as far as the eye can see. Its over the love in the sun thing which is where it all started is over its finished. Time to ban all festivals. If ur not disgusted by this then....well, I give up.

It all gets cleared up. Every last scrap. The site team will be taking it all down for days yet. I doubt there’s enough bins to put it all in by the end of the festival.

leaving tents behind is lazy though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

This is typical of the dickheads that go to big festivals.

Contrast that with this view of the Shindig site, taken this year before the litter pickers did their work.

FB_IMG_1687781924172.thumb.jpg.1d246f76bc52b8eae636311c9a2dd98a.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

It all gets cleared up. Every last scrap. The site team will be taking it all down for days yet. I doubt there’s enough bins to put it all in by the end of the festival.

leaving tents behind is lazy though.

I would hope/assume that the tents are sold off. You could even flog them off cheaply to next year’s lot when they arrive.

20 minutes ago, Trueno said:

I would hope/assume that the tents are sold off. You could even flog them off cheaply to next year’s lot when they arrive.

Sadly not. They get sent to charity if they are packed up but the ones that are still up get sent to landfill