Why become a member? ×

How long is your strap?

How low do you wear your bass? I always adjust my straps (Mostly leathergraft suede comfy ones) to the longest they’ll go for the classic ‘cover your nuts’ look.

An additional benefit of this is that the bass gives you cover if your flies come undone - as happened to Pete Way here:

• Like 1

Back in the 80s, I wore my bass pretty high up because slap. That changed fairly quickly and since then I've worn my basses pretty much where they'd be if I sat down. It's the perfect height for me.

67805507_2418846028138737_2757062248877785088_n.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Rich said:

Back in the 80s, I wore my bass pretty high up because slap. That changed fairly quickly and since then I've worn my basses pretty much where they'd be if I sat down. It's the perfect height for me.

67805507_2418846028138737_2757062248877785088_n.jpg

Same.

It's what Billy Sheehan advises too, keeping the bass angles constant sitting and standing.

Although some people @BigRedX practice standing up, so have their basses lower.

I'm generally most comfy with the bridge at about conventional jeans-pocket height when the bass is slightly angled-up in playing position. I've had to shorten my straps a bit since losing some weight, as it's taking less seatbelt to achieve the same position these days.

The idea of either practicing standing up or setting the strap to maintain the position when seated makes complete sense, but I've never done it. I practice and record sitting down, but rehearse and gig standing up. Having just given the seated-height strap adjustment a quick try, I can't honestly see it ever working for me either ergonomically or aesthetically.

12 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

How low do you wear your bass? I always adjust my straps (Mostly leathergraft suede comfy ones) to the longest they’ll go for the classic ‘cover your nuts’ look.

An additional benefit of this is that the bass gives you cover if your flies come undone - as happened to Pete Way here:

This is one of my favourite Pete pics…

IMG_0428.jpeg

• Like 2

Depends on the bass to which it is fitted.

On the Gus G3s the straps are both 1290mm long from strap button centre to strap button centre.

On the Eastwood Hooky it is 1370mm

On other basses I have owned in the past the straps would again have been different lengths depending on the design of the bass, the position of the strap buttons and how I played it.

Regarding practicing sitting down or standing up, even in the days (early 80s) when I played with the bass high on my chest, I still found that I held the instrument in a different way when I was sitting or standing, and anything complicated that I learnt sitting down would require a bit of adjustment before I could play it as well standing up. Since I discovered this I have always played standing up.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

Like Franticsmurf, I have mine so that my belt buckle would be about central to the bass body (I know this because, when I was thin enough, I caused buckle rash in exactly that position…).

I have my bass the same length sitting and standing. When sitting, the bass hangs down between my legs with the neck angled quite high. I never rest my bass on my leg when playing sitting down.

At 6'4" and predominantly using Thunderbirds, I favour a Levy's extra long strap; there's certainly times where the strap has been too long and photographic evidence show me in a square-shouldered Herman Munster poise, just to raise the bass to a more comfortable playing position.

• 3 weeks later...