Why become a member? ×

Anyone got good after 50?

roblpm

Im 64 and played bass since 16. Two years ago met my new woman and she plays tenor recorder. Apart from everything else it was musically a light bulb mo. 12 months later I'm playing tenor rec pretty good. Now torturing myself with cello and my bass chops have never been so good.  Having said all that hitting 50 I was all over the place, musically, personally and professionaly..Basically completely burnt out.

Edited by greavesbass
  • Like 1

On 13/05/2023 at 01:26, roblpm said:

Love to hear any stories of people getting good at an older age..

I playe trumpet to a good standard up to 20. Grade 6. Failed grade 8 due to being more interested in girls and beer. Was the worst player in a good quality Orchestra at university.

Now grade 5 bass. Mediocre. But interested in getting better. Anyone done it later in life??

I didn't start playing until 55, and from a much lower base than you musically. I've had a guitar laying around which I still can't play and had never played a whole song on anything. Within a year I was gigging and I've literally played hundreds of gigs since then with a collection of bands.

Bass makes more sense when you play with other people and for me the stimulus to keep practicing and improving. I've no idea about grades on bass but my kids both reached grade 4 on piano and my son played the Moonlight Sonata at a school concert. I'd think that grade 6 would put you way above anything I could do technically and solidly into "intermediate" in terms of skill. You don't say if you are with a band but if not it is time to get out there. You almost certainly have the technical skills and it won't take you long to be a useful band member. Whether it is the thrill of an audience dancing in time with your fingers or the fear of messing up in public there's nothing like live performance to sharpen up your playing. 

I'd be jealous of you starting up but I'm having too much fun with an unexpected late life passion :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm improving very slightly all the time. I'm certainly more technically accomplished now in my 60s then I was in my teens and 20s, and I hope I've also got more tasteful in my playing (which is probably more important) at the same time.

Musically I joined the most hardworking and most popular band I have ever been in just before I turned 50.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I'm improving very slightly all the time. I'm certainly more technically accomplished now in my 60s then I was in my teens and 20s, and I hope I've also got more tasteful in my playing (which is probably more important) at the same time.

Musically I joined the most hardworking and most popular band I have ever been in just before I turned 50.

I wish you'd joined mine. Do you play drums? Guitar? Sing? I'm happy to vacate the bass-chair and go to the bar. 😋

• Haha 1

I only turned 50 a couple of months ago but my teens was spent thinking more about how I looked rather than my playing and it is a trait I am embarrassed to say continued into my 20s. I started getting more serious in my 30s and over lockdown I actively started practicing every day - and continue to do so. I think I have a good reputation both locally now and on the circuits I play on, usually get good feedback after shows. All of this is offset by my own personal crippling self-doubt but I guess that is just typical of a lot of musicians. I definitely subscribe to the view that anyone who does something for a long time gets better at it. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I only turned 50 a couple of months ago but my teens was spent thinking more about how I looked rather than my playing and it is a trait I am embarrassed to say continued into my 20s. I started getting more serious in my 30s and over lockdown I actively started practicing every day - and continue to do so. I think I have a good reputation both locally now and on the circuits I play on, usually get good feedback after shows. All of this is offset by my own personal crippling self-doubt but I guess that is just typical of a lot of musicians. I definitely subscribe to the view that anyone who does something for a long time gets better at it. 

Wow  you certainly don't look your age @Cat Burrito  wearing well.  I had you down as late 30's low 40's at most.:tatice_03:

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started on guitar at 14 and played my first gig a couple of years later and have been playing and gigging since then. At age 42 I started bass(EB) when I was asked to sit in with a 15 piece big band and I was horrible but got better and worked with several smaller jazz groups.  In 2015 I bought a Stagg EUB and then quickly upgraded to a Yamaha SLB 200 and was playing in two bands. Then in 2018 I visited England in time to attend the Double Bass Bash at Bicester and I was totally hooked and came home and bought a "real" bass, a laminate Engelhardt and then a Czech bass and a couple of years ago got my Shen SB 100 and really started to learn about playing upright and got much better during Covid, no gigs but a lot of practice.

The latest step was to finally sign up for weekly lessons last October with a great teacher (bass soloist and symphony conductor)  and get to work learning how to use the bow and I have made amazing progress and all my playing is much better.

I'm currently in a "little big band" jazz septet, I jam with some jazz friends, I'm working with a new band (jazz, blues, soul) and next week will be in the pit band for a musical in a large theatre. A bluegrass mandolin player saw me playing last fall and today I will be rehearsing with him and we will be playing at a couple of bluegrass festivals, something different, I played at a small festival a couple of weeks ago. 

The most satisfying accomplishment is that I and several other adults have been asked to fill out the low string section of a 30 piece youth orchestra for a concert in June...after only six months with the bow! I have never worked so hard, the kids are so good I really have to get serious about the music and that pressure has really brought my playing to a new level.

I turned 77 a couple of weeks ago and although I have played for over 60years most of my real learning on bass has been in the last 5 years, it's never too late.😊

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I am now 65. 

That said, I had more "chops" in my 20's.

I also drank way too much. Which put the love (addiction) of alcohol before music for a long time.

Got sober when I was 52. Music came back.

I think I have better "ears" (not "hearing") now than my younger years.

Musicians hear me and exclaim, "You get it!"

I enjoy playing, and I have to PRACTICE to play things I "hear" in my head, and then translate to fingers and strings.

But it's freaking wonderful.

I'm trying to get "good" every day. If you love it, that's what matters.

• Like 5

Although I played in my teens/early 20s I stopped in order to spend time/money on other things.  Restarted at 44 but the period from 54 til 62 was the best and most interesting.  Still playing at 77.

• Like 5

Getting into a serious prog jazz rock band playing originals with really top notch musicians has improved my playing in the last 6 months or so.  Am undoubtedly much better than I was for most of my previous 50 years playing.   Practice with high demand and expectation helps, as does band members with patience and a willingness to explain.   Somewhat poorer memory does not!

• Like 4

Playing an any instrument improves brain function. Any doctor worth a hoot will tell you as you age, any activity that involves brain function will benefit your mental and physical health. And the brain literally "lights up" when listening or playing an instrument. Stay positive and you "get good". Pick a heavy bass and an SVT and you won't have to go to the gym either.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I begun playing the bass about 49 years ago. Made my living with it from age of 17. Today I feel I am better musician than ever. With experience I have matured, playing less but with more understanding about what really serves the music. I am accompanying, not showcasing my chops. Even my tecnique is better since I don’t panic facing difficult tasks and my experience and knowledge about practising helps Me to survive.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Johannes said:

I begun playing the bass about 49 years ago. Made my living with it from age of 17. Today I feel I am better musician than ever. With experience I have matured, playing less but with more understanding about what really serves the music. I am accompanying, not showcasing my chops. Even my tecnique is better since I don’t panic facing difficult tasks and my experience and knowledge about practising helps Me to survive.

Do you do everything naked in Finland?  Or is it just saunas and bass playing?

17 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I've been playing bass since age 13 or 14. However I didn't start gigging heavily until I was well into my 50s. Live performance has definitely  made me a better player.

Blue

Almost the exact same here. 15 / 16 when i started but never played regular gigs until i got into my 50's and now playing quite a lot between my two bands.

Dave

• Like 1