Why become a member? ×

The One You've Never Tried, But Really Want To

snorkie635

I would love to try an Ibanez SRF700 Portamento. I'm a fretless bassist and I think they are beautiful basses but I play unlined and sadly it has lines on the top of the neck. I would love to play one to see how I get on.

1088475108_F1(1).thumb.jpg.848e20371e24c40d491df7c34f88b523.jpg

I can't say I've always wanted to try one, but recently I have been flirting with the idea of a Dingwall Lee Sklar signature model. The thing is, I've never played a Dingwall, or indeed any fanned fret bass, so it would be a bit of a leap in the dark. 

Also, I'm very particular about string tension, and I would want strings that gave the same feel as a 40-100 set on a regular four string. So I've got a couple of potential hurdles to overcome.

• Like 1

Even though I suspect I wouldn't like it I've often fancied a go on a Rickenbacker, 4001 or 4003.
I noticed that some people in this thread mentioned that a double bass would be on their list. Do any of you own Rickenbackers and live in/near Oxfordshire? Perhaps we could come to some arrangement...

On 28/04/2023 at 19:44, three said:

I just spent the afternoon listening to SC - I enjoy some of the tones that he gets out of his Series I but others not so much.  I agree re: the low pass filters, they can produce some pretty mundane tones alongside the extraordinary.  I too have an SII but it's a four.  I was just thinking the other day, I'm not sure I've ever really spent much time with a Ric - I've certainly not owned one (or a Musicman).  I shall seek out a Ric this weekend - thanks for the thread - I'm inspired.

I Spent part of yesterday afternoom watching SC live in concert. Incredible gig.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

NS NXTa (EUB), played like a regular bass (see below).

boomerang.jpg

I'd forgotten about that Omnibass. I'd like to try that too, both five and four strings (I had a 5-string Ergo EUB which I didn't get on with and I'd like to know if I could cope with a 5-string Omnibass).

8 hours ago, knirirr said:

Even though I suspect I wouldn't like it I've often fancied a go on a Rickenbacker, 4001 or 4003.
I noticed that some people in this thread mentioned that a double bass would be on their list. Do any of you own Rickenbackers and live in/near Oxfordshire? Perhaps we could come to some arrangement...

Love to have a go on a double bass, but I don't live anywhere near Oxfordshire.

I have played American P Basses[1975/2001] in all but 7 years of the 45+ Gigging

But never one of these this new AV 54P single coil tone has really peaked my interest despite Bridge and never being a 'P with Flats Guy'

Blonde or White

• Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 15:26, tauzero said:

I'd forgotten about that Omnibass. I'd like to try that too, both five and four strings (I had a 5-string Ergo EUB which I didn't get on with and I'd like to know if I could cope with a 5-string Omnibass).

You could easily cope with an Omni Bass. I had a 5 string fretted one some time ago. I should not have sold it. Strory of my life. 

18 hours ago, molan said:

Maybe the 1-String - I actually love the idea of this 😂IMG_8927.jpeg.4c3b9ca07c01f7cb53b0e12f39821b3c.jpeg

I used to own the fretless version of that.

DSC02853.jpg

I once took it to a practice for my Dad-Rock covers band. The fact that it was fretless was more of a hindrance than the fact it only had one string.

8 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I used to own the fretless version of that.

DSC02853.jpg

I once took it to a practice for my Dad-Rock covers band. The fact that it was fretless was more of a hindrance than the fact it only had one string.

I think I'm going to go stringless. That should keep the baying hordes who follow my excellence, happy. 🥴