Why become a member? ×

The One You've Never Tried, But Really Want To

snorkie635

To cheer up the last Friday in April and move into a long weekend, I was thinking about exactly which bass I would love to try. Not something I've tried before, owned before or such like. Something I might have only read about or seen on the Net. I have decided I'd love to try an Alembic Series II five stringer. What would your pick be?

27 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’ve been fortunate enough to get mostly what I like ,but I’d like to try some of the top end Fodera’s , just to see what they’re like, also a 1960 stack knob jazz 

Sounds like a fun day out. I've never tried a Fodera either.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You'd likely struggle to find anywhere with a G77 & synth unit in stock to go and "try out" tho

Probably. I used a Roland bass synth as my main gigging bass for a few years in the 80's. (Bought it from Jack Bruce as well!) Here's the proof back in the day.

IMG_0788.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

We used to ogle all that kind of kit in the Charing Cross Road music shops, and the like, back then, but never had anything like sufficient dosh unfortunately 

Luckily for me, I'd been working for a decade by then and the band was playing regularly, so I spent a lot on musical gear. I now look at Aston Martin dealerships with the 'ogle' you mention.

• Haha 1

Just now, TheGreek said:

Alembic SC 5er - and I've had the chance at a couple of Bass Bashes but never took the opportunity. Would hate to drop one and cause damage.

I follow your exact line of thought. Just read your review of the Peterson and enjoyed it. Brought back memories as I had one when they first came out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

To cheer up the last Friday in April and move into a long weekend, I was thinking about exactly which bass I would love to try. Not something I've tried before, owned before or such like. Something I might have only read about or seen on the Net. I have decided I'd love to try an Alembic Series II five stringer. What would your pick be?

The bass I dreamed about playing was also an alembic and now I consider myself extremely fortunate to own such a bass and, it surpassed everything i expected from it. I know they are not the sound that everyone likes but for me it's a dream bass fulfilled. I hope you get to try one out one day. I have to say getting your head round using low pass filters does take some getting used to. All the best.

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

The bass I dreamed about playing was also an alembic and now I consider myself extremely fortunate to own such a bass and, it surpassed everything i expected from it. I know they are not the sound that everyone likes but for me it's a dream bass fulfilled. I hope you get to try one out one day. I have to say getting your head round using low pass filters does take some getting used to. All the best.

I just spent the afternoon listening to SC - I enjoy some of the tones that he gets out of his Series I but others not so much.  I agree re: the low pass filters, they can produce some pretty mundane tones alongside the extraordinary.  I too have an SII but it's a four.  I was just thinking the other day, I'm not sure I've ever really spent much time with a Ric - I've certainly not owned one (or a Musicman).  I shall seek out a Ric this weekend - thanks for the thread - I'm inspired.

1 minute ago, three said:

I just spent the afternoon listening to SC - I enjoy some of the tones that he gets out of his Series I but others not so much.  I agree re: the low pass filters, they can produce some pretty mundane tones alongside the extraordinary.  I too have an SII but it's a four.  I was just thinking the other day, I'm not sure I've ever really spent much time with a Ric - I've certainly not owned one (or a Musicman).  I shall seek out a Ric this weekend - thanks for the thread - I'm inspired.

Yaaaaay! It's all been worth it then. Good luck in your search.

• Like 2

Really, the first time I listened to music and isolated the bass in my head, so to speak, and really digging the bass lines and understanding their importance was listening to Chris Squire. I've always wanted to play a Rickenbacker ever since but, like JJ Burnel, Squire's tone was dependent on faulty equipment so I don't suppose any Rickenbacker is going to sound like Chris Squire just like no Fender is ever going to sound like early Stranglers. Still like to try one though...

• Like 1

There's a couple actually: a headless Status S2 (5 or 6 string). I've absolutely loved the shape since I first saw them in the '80s, way before I ever took up bass (which was about 18 months ago). Just intrigued.

And this one from the classifieds right here. I can't afford it. I have no reason to believe I can play fretless bass (never tried). But ... just look at it!

image.png.55332f3b5bf23b8dc39c54b1aad49818.png
 https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/469484-marleaux-diva-6-bass-signature-redwood-burl-top/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1