Why become a member? ×

The Blockheads featuring Norman Watt-Roy

ambient

1 minute ago, mr4stringz said:

Damn it. I am Birmingham based, didn’t know about this and (whilst not a massive fan of The Blockheads) love Norman’s playing loads. Typical then that I’m on a road trip elsewhere…

We have a lot of very good bands playing. The 80s band Big Country were on last night.

IMG_7137.jpeg

• Like 1

I did my first ever gig supporting Norman Wattroy as part of Wilco Johnson’s band. 

He used all my gear and was absolutely lovely to me, a callow youth.

Watching him then plan was an education. Absolute monster player and phenomenal stage presence.

• Like 3

I saw the Blockheads many years ago with Derek the Draw singing for them, they were absolutely fantastic. I really should make the effort to see them again. Norman is an absolute legend, up there with the best.

I've seen them loads of times but find, increasingly, Derek the Draw thinks it is all about him.  He swears constantly like a 14 yr old with Tourettes.  Don't know if it was just a one-off but they were majorly off the boil, nowhere near as tight as they had been previously.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I've seen them loads of times but find, increasingly, Derek the Draw thinks it is all about him.  He swears constantly like a 14 yr old with Tourettes.  Don't know if it was just a one-off but they were majorly off the boil, nowhere near as tight as they had been previously.

Never liked Derek as the lead vocalist.

Saw Ian Drury and the BHs at Bridlington Spa Hall in 1979,I can honestly say this was the best gigg I've ever attended,and I've seen hundreds of bands.All talented musicians of a high grade,at least they were then,and so tight as a group.

Saw the Blockheads when they released the unfinished album. Phil Jupitus came on to sing the classics. It was lovely to see that he was absolutely terrified! As the evening progressed it was obvious that alcohol was helping his nerves, if not his performance!

I was reading about NWR the other day and it transpires that he played bass on a few of my favourite Clash tracks.* We live and learn :) 

As well as Jona Lewie's 'You'll Always Find Me In the Kitchen at Parties' apparently.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Last time i saw him with Wilko the sound was atrocious. Don’t think his stack was DI’d properly so got only a trebly clank my side of stage. Fingers crossed that was a one off. 

One of the other music lecturers does the sound. He really knows his stuff. The venue has a state of the art sound system.

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

I was reading about NWR the other day and it transpires that he played bass on a few of my favourite Clash tracks.* We live and learn :) 

As well as Jona Lewie's 'You'll Always Find Me In the Kitchen at Parties' apparently.......

Was him on Magnificent Seven wasn't it? My favourite Clash bassline.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Was him on Magnificent Seven wasn't it? My favourite Clash bassline.

Yep, likewise, it's on my 'wish I could play this line with the same feel as the original' playlist (as of course are Rhythm Stick and What a Waste) :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rumple said:

I've seen them loads of times and I've got tickets to see them again in London next month, Derek is dead so I wonder who does vocal duties now?

Maybe Chaz and Johnny are doing the lead vox again, which would be a good thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rumple said:

I've seen them loads of times and I've got tickets to see them again in London next month, Derek is dead so I wonder who does vocal duties now?

It's this bloke, apparently.

Mark King's brother, from the Andertons video reviews, is playing bass (at least for this gig from a month ago).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gjones said:

It's this bloke, apparently.

Mark King's brother, from the Andertons video reviews, is playing bass (at least for this gig from a month ago).

Oh dear I hope it's not that guest singer! I've seen Nathan play guitar with Level 42, he's a bloody talented guy but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Norman.

I saw the Blockheads at a Butlin's 'punk and new wave' weekender... No NWR though 😞 - I think he was playing with Wilko instead.

They had a dep bassist of course who did a great job... and during his turn to do a bit of a bass solo he walked up to the mic whilst playing and apologised for not being Norman!

On 24/04/2023 at 10:05, NickD said:

That's not going to be a problem anymore though, is it? 

On 24/04/2023 at 14:05, Rumple said:

, Derek is dead so I wonder who does vocal duties now?

I had no idea.  When did that happen?

Edit - Google - Feb last year.  

Edited by Paul S

56 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

They had a dep bassist of course who did a great job...

Ah, but did he sweat like the great Norman? I've never seen anyone soak through a suit so thoroughly and so quickly than NWR. 

57 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

No NWR though 😞 - I think he was playing with Wilko instead.

Not an issue now of course :(.

• Like 2