Why become a member? ×

Truly terrible covers of the good and the great

15 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Indeed - that is what makes them awful - they try and turn it into a song version of an inspirational quote 

Absolutely. That's the worst crime of all. Subverting and changing the meaning and intention of the original to make it bland, warm and cuddly, so mum and dad will buy it. Hollywood does the same with film adaptions of books. I don't particularly object to a spot of musical butchery (to each his own, etc), but sugar coating something is beyond the pale.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I'm just seeing if I can get the vein in @Woodinblack's temple throbbing. And it seems a little arbitrary selecting me to patronise, as the whole of this thread has been opinions. And emojis are for losers.

You would be dissapointed - I am used to people having terrible taste, and I fully support your right to have it.

However, I agree with you other points, saying IMO never made sense on a forum, especially when discussing opinions on things, and smileys don't change the words! So apart from a complete lack of taste, it seems you are redeemable! 🐹

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Generally, anything that takes a song and turns it into an insipid ballad, is beyond terrible.

'Beyond Terrible'. Thank you, that's gone straight into my possible band names bank. 

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

This is not an opinion, this is a fact!

That's atrocious!

I note that there is nobody near the stage, very wise, and I suspect the photographer was behind sandbags 200m away using an ultra long lens. And earplugs.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

STILL better than sound of silence :)

Is it this cover that you find awful?

To me it's far better on all points than the crappy approximative duet (they are running after each other) original folk tune.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Is it this cover that you find awful?

Yes, unless they did another one as they thought they would take some more soul out of it? Well, I assume it is, I wouldn't subject myself to listening to it again.

31 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

To me it's far better on all points than the crappy approximative duet (they are running after each other) original folk tune.

I get that. Strangely I like disturbed (when they are singing not talking), and I am not bothered either way about S&G, but that is an abomination. Basically conatins the same sort of emotional content as the cover of hallelujah that people were posting about.

8 hours ago, Richard R said:

That's atrocious!

I note that there is nobody near the stage, very wise, and I suspect the photographer was behind sandbags 200m away using an ultra long lens. And earplugs.

I slightly revise my opinion of the band, having read the comments on YT.

They were 14 at the time, and frankly at that age just to get up and have a go takes some balls. Now I agree, it's still comically bad,  and they hadn't really learned to play, but everyone has to start somewhere. 

I wonder how many of them are still in bands? Or are captains of industry? Or members here....?

• Like 1