Why become a member? ×

Truly terrible covers of the good and the great

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

Very much a matter of opinion, I like Joe Cocker's version, one of the few Beatle covers I prefer to the original.

Can't stand Stevie Wonder's version of We Can Work It out, but then again I don't like most of what he's done.

Now where is that tin hat?

I like Stevie’s version more than the original. Good that we’re all different eh?

Seeing as we’re talking covers of Beatles stuff, I can’t abide Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel’s 

mauling of George’s ‘ Here comes the sun’. 

I wouldn’t go as far as terrible but I don’t particularly like Limp Bizkit’s Behind Blue Eyes. It brings nothing new and sounds a bit whiny. My problem may be with Fred Durst though rather than the actual song.

Is there a ‘covers better than the original’ sister thread?

Edited by How1

21 minutes ago, How1 said:

I wouldn’t go as far as terrible but I don’t particularly like Limp Bizkit’s Behind Blue Eyes. It brings nothing new and sounds a bit whiny. My problem may be with Fred Durst though rather than the actual song.

Is there a ‘covers better than the original’ sister thread?

That's just a list of Bob Dylan songs.

• Haha 7

Nickleback did a terrible cover of Elton John's 'Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting'.  Sucked all the life, spark and fizz out of the original with just their regulation palm-muted distorted guitar riffs and the usual hoarse throat barked out vocals.  Just noticed the video says GOOD QUALITY.  No, it isn't.  IMO etc.

42 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I think we've had a "Worst cover version ever" thread as well, can't be arsed to look for it though, I seem to remember Mr Cocker getting a mention

He gets a fair few mentions in both the Best and Worst threads. Which tends to suggest that he got it about right :lol: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rich said:

He gets a fair few mentions in both the Best and Worst threads. Which tends to suggest that he got it about right :lol: 

yep, to be a worthwhile cover it should be radically different from the original, otherwise what's the point?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Are you including the Jeff Buckley version in your assessment here? Because I'd have to strongly disagree with you if you are.

Absolutely, that one is at the top of the list. Thats worse than the one mentioned earlier, because he should have known better.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I always think it's wise to start these sort of comments with IMO, a smiley helps as well

I'm just seeing if I can get the vein in @Woodinblack's temple throbbing. And it seems a little arbitrary selecting me to patronise, as the whole of this thread has been opinions. And emojis are for losers.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Just been scrolling the DAB channels to see what's on and landed on Planet Rock while a truly awful song was on. I stayed to listen to it as it's just criminally bad. Now I'm not the world's biggest Beatles fan but one of their tunes I do really like is I Am the Walrus. However, the song I'm talking about happens to be a cover of this by something called Spooky Tooth. It has nothing in it that makes the original a classic but adds in loads of Keith Moon style drumming, overly loud sustained chords on a Hammond organ and a singist who sounds like Ozzy on an off day. Anyone else heard this and can you think of another cover that really mullers the original. 

That's one of my favourite covers ever! If my Beatles tribute band ever gets off the ground I would suggest you don't listen to us, it will sound like this 😄

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Edit: Actually no, I have wronged poor old JC.   I have a cheapo Christmas compilation CD with a cover of “Fairytale of New York” sung by Máire Brennan of Clannad (who makes a pretty decent stab of her part) and Ronan Keating (who really, really doesn’t)....🙁

My wife has this CD - it's pretty festive - but that version of Fairytale sets my teeth on edge - horribly twee.