Why become a member? ×

The One You Let Go and Would Most Like Back

snorkie635

Just two…

USA Fender Jazz deluxe 5er, 50th anniversary with the Suhr pickups, in crimson burst, sold it on BC to some chap from Littlehampton (I think)

Ibanez ATK 300 in surf green, absolute beast of a bass, did the Stingray thing brilliantly.

Thinking of moving my G&L Tribute jazz on, but I know that I’ll probably regret it at some point…

EDIT: managed to find some photos. The jazz isn't a photo of my actual bass, but identical to the one I had.

Jazz 5.jpg

ATK 1.jpg

Edited by Grassie
photos added
  • Thanks 1

On 17/03/2023 at 17:55, oldslapper said:

Many, too many.

But this always haunts me:

Classy bass, indestructible, shed load of tone on tap, best fret board I’ve played, blah blah. Sold it to buy something shiny that got moved on quicker than a Tory prime minister’s term in office. 

62A8926D-1311-417F-804F-5DF4ADF43DC2.jpeg

I have one of them in Honeyburst: a Blade B4. I had one in the early Noughties and then, God knows why, I sold it. The regret niggled me for months until another one popped up on evilbay. After  my '90 Fender Jazz CS '62, that Blade is the bass I've owned the longest.

image.png.133e7af60251a47e7bdd9c338dec728c.png

This one...MPC Outlaw from the late 70's...strange but really nice bass with effects modules in the back that you could swap out easily. It was always my spare bass through the 80's. I can't even remember moving it on, but I did. 

Also, my '63 Jazz (sunburst/rosewood), my '68 fretless P bass (sunburst, maple) and, on the guitar side, a really nice blond Guild G37. Back when I sold all these, they were not considered that valuable...if only I had known...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NikNik said:

Early '90s Warwick Thumb NT unlined fretless

Steinberger XL2A

Rickenbacker 4001CS

Another fine selection. Collectively, we have been, shall we say, over-eager in moving wonderful fear on. Must be a lesson in all of this?

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

Another fine selection. Collectively, we have been, shall we say, over-eager in moving wonderful fear on. Must be a lesson in all of this?

Meant to type 'gear', not fear. It's the Red Roscoe effect I gear ... ... I mean, fear!

In the same week I bought a Mike Lull MV5 Jazz with a Brazilian fretboard, and a Sadowsky RV5 Jazz.

It was like having Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes in the same team.

I told myself I didn't need both basses and I sold the Lull!! I never look back, but that was a decision I will always regret.

I made some terrible choices in the past. Swapping beautiful basses for stuff I didn't really need or even like sometimes.

Even selling some for a pittance. 

But it is a learning curve and I don't make those mistakes now.

But for some reason the one that really niggles wasn't an expensive Fender, but a budget Yamaha BB. Lovely colour, balance, weight, sound - a bass that really fitted me.

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

I made some terrible choices in the past. Swapping beautiful basses for stuff I didn't really need or even like sometimes.

Even selling some for a pittance. 

But it is a learning curve and I don't make those mistakes now.

But for some reason the one that really niggles wasn't an expensive Fender, but a budget Yamaha BB. Lovely colour, balance, weight, sound - a bass that really fitted me.

Yep, there's no logic to it at all.

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

In the same week I bought a Mike Lull MV5 Jazz with a Brazilian fretboard, and a Sadowsky RV5 Jazz.

It was like having Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes in the same team.

I told myself I didn't need both basses and I sold the Lull!! I never look back, but that was a decision I will always regret.

Ouch!

20230323_112803.thumb.jpg.de9a9737c89a94d06c89ab22893a8844.jpg

Vigier Delta Metal Fretless 

The one I should have purchased. Back in the 90s I decided to upgrade to a 'decent' bass. On the shortlist was Warick Dolphin, Wal, Sei Flamboyant custom  and the Vigier. In the end went with the Sei, got carried away by the fact it's a custom to my spec, 5 string headless etc. Turns out over the years that really I'm a 4 string fretless guy and the Vigier is the one I regret not getting. Trouble is now, Vigier only do it as bolt on (hate bolt on necks with a passion!), presumably to make it cheaper to construct. Keep looking but difficult to find the Vigier s/h as the original neck thru let alone at an affordable price.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Boodang said:

20230323_112803.thumb.jpg.de9a9737c89a94d06c89ab22893a8844.jpg

Vigier Delta Metal Fretless 

The one I should have purchased. Back in the 90s I decided to upgrade to a 'decent' bass. On the shortlist was Warick Dolphin, Wal, Sei Flamboyant custom  and the Vigier. In the end went with the Sei, got carried away by the fact it's a custom to my spec, 5 string headless etc. Turns out over the years that really I'm a 4 string fretless guy and the Vigier is the one I regret not getting. Trouble is now, Vigier only do it as bolt on (hate bolt on necks with a passion!), presumably to make it cheaper to construct. Keep looking but difficult to find the Vigier s/h as the original neck thru let alone at an affordable price.

I don't regret selling any of the great basses I've owned but, like you, I regret the one opportunity I had of acquiring the bass I'd love to have now.

In the 90s a mate pestered me endlessly to buy his mint Wal MK1 for £600.

I wasn't interested in the slightest at the time because I thought they looked crap.

I was too busy trying to look cool, wrestling along with the pig of a Rickenbacker I owned back then.

£600!! 🤦

Edited by miles'tone

17 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

I don't regret selling any of the great basses I've owned but, like you, I regret the one opportunity I had of acquiring the bass I'd love to have now.

In the 90s a mate pestered me endlessly to buy his mint Wal MK1 for £600.

I wasn't interested in the slightest at the time because I thought they looked crap.

I was too busy trying to look cool, wrestling along with the pig of a Rickenbacker I owned back then.

£600!! 🤦

The only reason I'd regret getting rid of the Wal I had, is the fact that they go for Insane money now and I'd be going Kerchinngg.. ££

I would've only paid in the early £200s for it second hand of course, it being circa 1981, I think I  swapped it for the white Rick I had around then, and was very happy to have done so as I hated the Wal

39 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

The only reason I'd regret getting rid of the Wal I had, is the fact that they go for Insane money now and I'd be going Kerchinngg.. ££

Same here.

I don't regret selling my Wal Custom Mk 3 5 string. Bought it 20 years ago for peanuts and made a killing when I sold it 10 years ago. Sadly that was a fraction of what they are going for now!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I would've only paid in the early £200s for it second hand of course, it being circa 1981, I think I  swapped it for the white Rick I had around then, and was very happy to have done so as I hated the Wal

Interesting! Why did you hate the Wal so much? (I've never actually played one)

My Rickenbacker was a pig because the neck was bowed beyond the scope of both trussrods and the action was insanely high.

Sei Flamboyant 5 string. It was a stunning instrument -- I mean, just look at it -- but I couldn't get the setup right, so in a fit of pique I sold it. What an utter knob.

Piezo bridge, Schack eq, Bart pickups (wasn't super-keen on them, but that's an easy fix), blue edge LEDs and a whole forest of stunning walnut. I should have given it to a luthier and got them to do it properly, hell I should have taken it home to Camden -- a decent setup and a set of Delanos and it would have been simply perfect. It was beautifully made, felt great to play (apart from my crap set-up job) and the sound was to die for. I often kick myself, very hard, for letting that one go. Arrrgh.

Ouch (just kicked myself again).

sei.jpg.b6d2432a4b0b40b6eb6e5438ee5a9263.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, miles'tone said:

Interesting! Why did you hate the Wal so much? (I've never actually played one)

My Rickenbacker was a pig because the neck was bowed beyond the scope of both trussrods and the action was insanely high.

The Wal I found horrible to play, for some reason the neck / fretboard etc was most uncomfortable, and it was somehow awkward or difficult to play stuff I could breeze on anything else, difficult to quantify but it was just nasty!.. bear in mind I'm one of the least fussy or moany players and will normally just crack on with it. 

It also sounded a bit ¢rap compared to other stuff I'd been using. 

This Wal was I assume the cheapest most basic one they did, it was badged Wal Pro as I recall, and was black / rosewood board, 2 pick up (passive I think.) I had it in 1981 and it didn't look to be very old at the time. 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2023 at 03:10, ern500evo said:

These two, and seeing them in the same pic makes it even worse 

I feel your pain.
In fact, for me it was two of each, so I feel your pain twice. 😁

The Bongos were Dargie Delights, one a 4-HH of gen. 1 ('06-'07) and one a 4-HS of gen. 2 ('09)
The Rays were a Neptune Blue 4-H PDN from '14 and a '95 5-H fretless.
I loved the Bongos to bits with their looks, ergonomics and 4-band EQ, but it's the Rays I miss mostly, especially the fretless one.

Other MMs I sold aren't missed - in part coz they went for getting the above ones.

Edited by BassTractor