Why become a member? ×

The One You Let Go and Would Most Like Back

snorkie635

We've most likely all got a bass we sold/swapped/'lost' due to a bout of acute GAS or such madness. I'll start my confession with the fact that I once had a 40th anniversary Fender CS Precision which was a wonderful machine. Alas, it's long gone, but will never be forgotten. Why, oh why?

There are times I do such stupid things. Which bass do you regret parting company with? Photos?

CDD3DE71-F4C2-43C9-ADA8-63311C88CBF5.jpeg

• Like 1

Black 73 Rick 4001... Sold it probably 2010 ish when I wasn't using it much (was using a Headless Jack for gigs etc) , needed the dosh blah blah.. Naturally regret it but what can you do, I couldn't afford another one nowadays. 

There were likely  a couple of odd gig pics of me with it but couldn't find those to save my life.! 

I rather regret moving on the white/maple Precision in my pic. Had a good bit of genuine wear on it, some generated in my ownership. I shifted it as I’d left the band I used it in and in my mind therefore no longer had any need for it.

12 minutes ago, oldslapper said:

Many, too many.

But this always haunts me:

Classy bass, indestructible, shed load of tone on tap, best fret board I’ve played, blah blah. Sold it to buy something shiny that got moved on quicker than a Tory prime minister’s term in office. 

62A8926D-1311-417F-804F-5DF4ADF43DC2.jpeg

11 minutes ago, 12stringbassist said:

I've sold a few things, including a WAL.
I sold them because they had gone to the back of the class and I don't regret selling any of them really.

Fair comment. I too have sold three WALS and don't miss them.

10 minutes ago, tauzero said:

My first decent bass, a Hayman 40/40 that I put together myself and stupidly pxed for a Precision. And a 4-string fretless bass, a Frontier, which I've never seen another one of.

Never played a Hayman - have owned a Shergold double-neck which may have had similarities? Never even heard of a Frontier though. You never know who's reading this and if they might contact you. How good would that be? Good luck.

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Sadowsky HPJ Blue

Status Kingbass

White CS 64 Jazz

Burst Relic 56 CS P

Yamaha BB1600

Modulus Flea

erm…

Listening back to last years band stuff, my Teal SR5

basically…lots of basses

Love it. You've got it bad Andy!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

Dad3353 

I know it's not the model you are chasing, and this one is sold, BUT the guy who runs this lesser-know shop is a Hofner fanatic. Might be worth your while dropping him a note to see if he can help? Good luck.

His contact is: https://www.vintagerareandretro.co.uk/news

Many thanks for the link. Indeed, he has a lot of very interesting stock, and is right plumb in the middle of the sort of stuff that gets my attention. Amazingly, even the prices aren't daft..! I'll contact him, certainly, and see what a few midnight incantations and black goat sacrifices to the gods can do. A decade or so ago, I hosted a few French Hofner Bashes, and own several very nice specimens myself, gathered over the years, so it's nice to see the brand still around, commercially. Their current models, of guitars and basses, are worthy of interest. The model I'm hankering after was only a short run at the time, so there aren't all that many in the world, however, which makes the hunt a little more 'interesting'. Thanks again; meanwhile...

Have a great day.

Douglas

4 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Many thanks for the link. Indeed, he has a lot of very interesting stock, and is right plumb in the middle of the sort of stuff that gets my attention. Amazingly, even the prices aren't daft..! I'll contact him, certainly, and see what a few midnight incantations and black goat sacrifices to the gods can do. A decade or so ago, I hosted a few French Hofner Bashes, and own several very nice specimens myself, gathered over the years, so it's nice to see the brand still around, commercially. Their current models, of guitars and basses, are worthy of interest. The model I'm hankering after was only a short run at the time, so there aren't all that many in the world, however, which makes the hunt a little more 'interesting'. Thanks again; meanwhile...

Have a great day.

Douglas

You are more than welcome. I thought you'd like that site. Good luck with your search.

• Thanks 1