Why become a member? ×

It’s just a lump of wood isn’t it?

Rayman

I had this conversation last night, and thought it was valid, to a point.

I was talking instrument prices with a mate, and we got to talking about whether or not one really needs to spend thousands of pounds on an instrument, when it’s perfectly possible to find a really great instrument, for a few hundred.

live…. nobody cares what you’re playing, where it was made or what it cost. At all.

It’s purely about your playing experience when it comes down to it.

After 40yrs (😞) now of playing, my favourite two basses cost a few peanuts and they’re absolutely perfect for me.

I just think  the price of EVERYTHING has gone mad, and almost none of it is worth half the ticket. 

In my opinion of course 

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 31

But there are so many more variables involved than simply "it's a piece of wood". 

Colour, form factor, electronics, brand (and that can of worms!), association (or otherwise) with noted players, even- shock horror - the actual sound. 

That's like saying "a car is just metal on four wheels" or "a house is just a load of bricks". 

44 minutes ago, Rayman said:

After 40yrs (😞) now of playing, my favourite two basses cost a few peanuts and they’re absolutely perfect for me.

And if that all works for you, perfect. But just as your particular needs for cars, housing etc might not work for anyone else, similarly their own instrument choices based on their own needs might be different to yours.

Or, to put your statement another way - just because your own basses which are perfect for you cost peanuts, that doesn't mean it'll work for anyone else. 

If that were the case, we'd all be playing Precisions.

Oh. What's that? We all are? 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Lol yep, and they are precisions, both 80s eastern knockoffs, and both better for me, than most Fenders I’ve had, and that’s many.

but I agree with you totally, it’s horses for courses, and I might have fallen at the last fence, while the vet decides wether or not to put me to sleep.

• Haha 1

My two fav basses; a Squier VM Jazz fretless which cost £200, and a custom jazz which cost considerably more.

The difference between the two... well the Squier is awesome but the custom is sublime. All the tiny niggles on the Squier, because it wasn't made specifically with me in mind, are not there on the custom. So, to go from almost perfect to perfect is a lot more money. 

Is it worth it? Well for me yes. Does the audience notice? Well, not really the right question, as playing the custom is more enjoyable and because of that I probably put in a better performance. 

But of course, if the little things I find irritating on the Squier don't bother you, then you've found your perfect bass for not a lot.

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 1

If that is the case there are several fallen trees in the local woods which I can sell for £200 for 10lb. 

Finding the lump of wood which works for each and every one of us is far more complicated and expensive. More expensive doesn't necessarily mean "better for me".

Trial and error can ruin your bank balance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rayman said:

I just think  the price of EVERYTHING has gone mad, and almost none of it is worth half the ticket. 

In my opinion of course 

Absolutely disagree to that. Just my own opinion.

@Rayman - I don't disagree with your point to a degree, but it's also similar to saying 'art is just canvas and a bit of paint'. If painted by me, then yes that's all it is! If painted by a master artist, then the value and the want to own is exponentially higher. 

I buy basses I like and enjoy owning and playing for me, not for anyone else. A Harley Benton will perform fine in most gigs and are very well made, but it's not an ACG/Conklin/Bee Bass, and never will be. A copy of a Picasso is fine, but it's not the same as owning an original.

That's kinda how I see it... but as always, horses for courses! 

• Like 2

Could I have continued to play a £250 OLP Tony Levin and had a much fun? Oh yes. 

Do I enjoy plugging the 20th Anni SR5 is and making a racket? Oh yes.

Can I afford to pay a craftsman like Alan Cringean to make me a fretless bass that is a work of art and sounds brilliant? Oh yes.

Are all three lumps of wood (bits of metal, bits of wire, bits of plastic, carbon fibre, fanatical devotion to the pope...) Oh yes.

Lucky me eh?

• Like 2

You could extend this argument to virtually anything we buy or use. For example, I'm an angler. Do I really need a Hardy fly rod when I can buy a perfectly functional rod from China for a fraction of the price that will catch me just as many fish? No, but I can afford a Hardy or two and the pleasure of ownership is worth it. I admit I'm also a bit of a tart and like the cachet of owning nice things. I can't take my money with me when I go.

• Like 2

Need/want.  Two different concepts.  I have a Harley Benton PB Shorty that cost me £65 new a couple of years ago.  It is a perfectly decent bass and would cover all my gigging requirements perfectly.  Do I need anything else?  Of course not.  Well, maybe another one as back up :)  Do I want anything else?  Of course I do!  Does it matter?  of course not! :D 

• Like 1

Def need/want as @Paul S says. I want - and have - Fender US Precisions, but my needs would easily be fulfilled by Squier Classic Vibe Precisions. 

But the “it’s just a lump of wood”, well that could be considered a bit demeaning towards those that make the instruments.

Edited by Lozz196

It's always a bonus to own nice things - bass guitars included.  Will your average punter down at The Dog & Duck notice the difference in sound between an Argos special and Fodera - probably not.  Most folk don't even notice bass players.  Just think back in the skiffle days and the old tea chest and broom handle, it worked and no-one bothered.  Should you buy an expensive bass?  If you can afford it and it brings you pleasure, why not.  Is it necessary - no, but if we only bought stuff that was necessary wouldn't life be a little dull?

• Like 6