Why become a member? ×

Opinions sought: Older bass player at a crossroads (and hello again!)

benthos

Hello All,

Apologies if this post is a bit long and rambling, but I'd appreciate the thoughts of you good people here at Basschat.

I'm an older (53) player who doesn't play in a band any more.  I was pretty active about 5 years ago and played in a couple of bands (nothing special, just covers bands but we had a laugh and it paid for itself.) Over the years GAS helped me acquire what now seems to be an excessive amount of gear and it's gathering dust.

A change in career and location means I'm now living in rural Scotland working unsociable hours so I don't have the time to commit to anything more than the odd jam, which happens very occasionally.

I have only recently picked up the bass again and that's confined to a bit of unstructured noodling on my Jazz, which I know I'm never parting with.

So the two questions I have are:

1 - What on earth should I do to drive a bit more structure into what I'm doing? Does anyone have experience with online courses that they can share? I know it's difficult to make a recommendation when my learning goals aren't clear, but I guess I'd like to expand my music theory (which is relatively weak) and my facility/articulation (which definately needs work!)

2 - What should I do with all this gear? I have a bass for what seems like every occasion and gear to go with it, but I'm convinced the majority of it will continue to gather dust.  I used to gig with my Jazz and a Stingray 5 but over the years acquired a Lightwave 5 fretless, a cheap 5er electro-acoustic, a Jack Casady and even an Aria upright (which I still kinda like even as furniture!)  I have a flightcased pedalboard (Radial BigShot, tc Electronic Nova Dynamics, Wounded Paw Blender, Catalinbread SFT, EHX Big Muff, EHX BassBalls, MXR Bass Octave, CEB3 Chorus, SansAmp Bass Driver) and an Aguilar/Genz Benz backline. I know, the obvious answers are "sell it!/give it to me!" 🙂 but I wondered if anyone had experience of any musical charities for kids that could benefit.

At the moment I'm thinking I'll keep the Jazz and the upright along with a practice amp and focus on the fundamentals for their own sake.

• Like 2

I think that there are many of us in similar situations - lots of gear, no band, reduced motivation.

Personally I'm keeping my gear for as long as I can afford to - my nest egg as most of my pensions are rubbish. Chances of me selling the gear at a profit is more likely than any of the pensions yielding something worth talking about.

Also I get to play instruments that I enjoy..

• Like 6

To change up my practice I bought the Janek Gwizdala books and have been working through those. It's challenging and a different approach to the run of the mill. 

Suggestion 2; sell the gear gathering dust and buy a drum kit! Nothing quite like a new challenge and it'll have the side affect of improving your bass playing. 

I have given a couple of basses to nearby music colleges - they were very appreciative. If you're in rural Scotland it may be more difficult to find colleges within reach. 

Charities that have shops also sell online. So, just because a charity shop doesn't seem to sell basses, it doesn't mean they won't take it in and send it to head office to sell online. My local charity shop has a mandolin for sale online. 

Edited by Kitsto

It all depends on what you want to do. Some days I’ll spend an hour on structured practice, other days I’ll have a glass of red wine, stick on the WAZA headphones and have a play. 

The key to achieving anything is setting some goals. Once you’ve defined those, you can work out a plan to get there!

Mine are all DB related (although that doesn’t stop me gigging regularly on electric bass!)

Send me a DM as I can send you a book or two and you can see how you get on. I’ve got a few bass ones that were going to the charity shop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kitsto said:

I have given a couple of basses to nearby music colleges - they were very appreciative. If you're in rural Scotland it may be more difficult to find colleges within reach. 

Charities that have shops also sell online. So, just because a charity shop doesn't seem to sell basses, it doesn't mean they won't take it in and send it to head office to sell online. My local charity shop has a mandolin for sale online. 

Good call re the charity shop, but for the higher end bass stuff I’m sure you would do better

selling it on here and then donating the proceeds to the charity ?

• Like 2

53 isn’t 23 but it’s also not 83. You still have plenty of years left in you to play the music you love.
Don’t write yourself off just because you are over 50. I’m 51 and play in heavy/classic rock band that’s getting very popular (locally). The singer and guitarist are 27 & 28 respectively.  
Having the best time ever! So can you. 
This not a boast post but some hope post. 
Good luck for the future! 

BE0AFC12-B9DB-477A-9DFA-515874BC9654.jpeg

• Like 4

I picked up a bass guitar for the first time ever on my 49th birthday, so I'm struggling to see your age as being somehow 'over the hill'. 😂

Now is a LOUSY time to be selling valuable kit. The market is in the toilet and will likely stay there for the whole of 2023, so don't sell nuthin' unless you're desperate.

If you're working hours that make it hard for you to join a band, why not invest some time into starting your own band, built around the hours you CAN play. You're not unique ... there will be other musos in the same position as you; hopefully one will be a drummer, and another will be a guitarist. You never know until you try.

And @Steve Browning is absolutely right. If you want to improve generally as a musician, learning to play keyboards has to be the best bet. It's also age-proof. Nobody ever pointed at a seated keyboard player and said, "Well that's not very rock'n'roll, is it?". 

• Like 1

Agree 100% with what the guys say .. I started again after many years away from playing, then voila, at age 48 I was doing lots of gigs and having a great time. 

In many ways, in today's world it seems far more common and totally accepted for bands to have older age group players...

.. when I was 19 we'd roll our eyes at bands if they looked like they were about 28, or god forbid 30s :). Luckily people don't seem to think like that any more..

I buy more pointless gear when I'm not going out to play. It's like buying it is a substitute for playing properly.

I really noticed it in lockdown. Bought no end of crap I never really used. Then after lockdown and doing 1 rehearsal with a stupidly large pedalboard I slimmed down the stuff I was taking with me again. Apparently I don't need synth pedals for big band jazz....

I'm playing every week again and really the only thing I'm buying now is strings when needed.

I'm also going to be selling off loads of stuff I don't need. A couple of basses, my wonderful BF Super Twin cab, some pedalboards, pedals etc etc. I just don't need them when I'm out playing and in the house I've got a Helix and PC plugins instead.

I've set myself a couple of rules when it comes to kit I take out with me:

- never take a board bigger than a Pedaltrain Nano Plus.

- never take 2 cabs when 1 will do

I'm hoping to free up a lot of space in the house!

As for playing more / playing with other people - If a bit of practice is needed before the confidence levels are up enough to join jam nights or look for a local band, the I'd suggest dusting off some "Top 40" tab books / websites and learning a dozen pub crowd pleasers so the OP is armed with a few tunes that are ready to go.

Join My Band and similar websites can take a lot of effort to sift through the rubbish but putting a "Bassist Available" advert up (and on here) is very likely to get you a couple of jams at least. Even if the early ones don't turn into a band or just a regular jam the OP will be back on the horse at least. Galloping can come later.

29 minutes ago, Ralf1e said:

I am 69 still play and there are others of an age that will want to jam or gig. Don't write yourself off so soon. You never know what you might do in retirement.

A lot of people I know who are recently retired / early retired are using their newfound freedom to 

launch new bands and devote more time to playing in general. The annoying thing is they usually

can afford the best gear though.....🤣

I’ve just turned 65, been pro for 30 years and do regular gigs all over the UK. Not thinking of

stopping anytime soon (mainly due to the crazy cost of living) so will keep on gigging for

as long as I’m able. Age really isn’t a barrier unless you allow it to be.

• Like 2

Where in rural Scotland are you? Some of us may know of charities or groups looking for gear. Or how about your local high school? I have gave them some unwanted gear in the past and as they have zero cash, they are usually quite happy to accept the stuff.

• Like 1