Why become a member? ×

Newcastle

Bluewine

There used to be 8 guitar shops and 7 purveyors of hiking/outdoor gear when I was there in the late 90s. 

Wednesdays involved skipping morning lectures, then climbing at the sports centre in Eldon Square, then lunch in Trillians which became stay until closing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

Newcastle/North expensive... you're having a larf surely?  :)

If you want to live in certain areas around the outskirts/suburbs of Newcastle you can pay top dollar for property or head out to Darras Hall and join the millionaire football elite brigade (still several million cheaper than the South) but there are loads of nice areas with housing that is 100's of thousands cheaper than comparable homes elsewhere!  

Newcastle - 7 miles from the coast and 20 miles from areas of coastal outstanding beauty.  10 miles to 'open' countryside.  50 miles from the countries only dark skies location, Scottish borders, Cheviot hills... blah blah blah

Just don't say you're a Mackem!  ;)  

@LukeFRC visited recently and he hated it... maybe.

Newcastle is great. (though there are more than one dark skies location in the UK)

Different from Yorkshire, different from the Central belt. I'ld happily live up or around there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Piers_Williamson said:

What a great thread (other than the bit about Leeds...as a Londoner I went to college in Leeds because people were massively more friendly than London).  

In my defence, the only time I spent there was gigging, I just struggled to click with the music scene and their architectural haircuts.

I remember once, after a gig, I was wandering the streets of Leeds with a pizza when some frankly terrifying bloke came up to me and demanded some. Lord knows why but I told him to f-off. He laughed and hugged me, which was unexpected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've always loved playing Newcastle - Trillians, The Cluny, the Tyne Bar and a few others - always a great night with an audience who love their music and are looking to enjoy themselves. Also,  a good night out and the locals are almost all really friendly. However, it can take a couple of pints before you start to pick up the rhythm of how they speak so that you can understand them.  

There is a lot of local pride and they seem to think that anything from Newcastle is innately superior, even though they are still friendly to outsiders. There is also an intense rivalry with neighbouring towns that can be difficult to understand if you're not from there. On holiday once, I was talking to a guy from Middlesbrough who described Geordies as the 'Cockneys of the north', which actually makes sense if you know both London and Newcastle. 

Probably the best place to live in the north of England (arguably the whole country). @Bluewine, like someone above, I'm intrigued as to why you ask?? 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, casapete said:

Absolutely this ^^^^^

Love Newcastle and all the areas around it. We play at The City Hall every year, and it's one of my favourite venues.

For a theatre band like mine it feels like a 'proper' gig! The tech / crew guys there are fab, really friendly and with that

great Geordie humour. Also have so many memories of going to gigs there myself - Springsteen in particular in 80/81?

A few years ago I got a job to be part of a strolling jazz band in a BBC TV documentary hosted by Matt Allright. We had 

to play as Matt entered the council buildings in to award the council an 'award' for being the drinking capital of the UK (or

something like that - was a while ago!)  We all got ejected by security at the building who were really nice guys and laughed

as they did their job. Of course we ended up doing a few pubs ourselves with Matt who it turned out was in a band and a 

thoroughly decent chap - got a picture of him playing my mini-bass somewhere! Through all this, the people we encountered 

were great, very friendly and welcoming.

Great gig but the worst get-in on the planet!

• Like 1

I grew up  near Newcastle in a place called Ponteland which when I was there, was not the place it has grown to be along with Darras Hall.  I lived off a diet of watching the Toon (NUFC) and going to the Mayfair and City Hall Newcastle for gigs. Brilliant City Centre and after I moved away I got a season ticket for the football and returned every 2 weeks for much of the 90's.

I saw everyone from The Crusaders, Bowie (Ziggy Tour) and the Grateful Dead at the City Hall and loads of others at the Mayfair from Geordie to John Miles Set. Just googling who else and it appears I missed the Velvet Underground 😗!

Only picked up the Bass when after I moved away to study in Yorkshire

• Like 1