Why become a member? ×

To refin or not

Stub Mandrel

In the small hours the mind starts to dwell on long put off decisions.

I have a mid-70s Maya fretless that I have had since the mid 80s. It's a nice Matsumoku bass but the body is blockboard with a thick facing (not ply).

The original finish is a sunburst in thick poly sprayed to hide the timber on the forearm cutaway.

Over time including 10 or so  years in unheated storage during the 2000/2010s some big chunks of the finish have chipped off, although the damage started to accrue back in the 90s.

So... it has mojo, but not in a nice worn nitro way. I am conflicted... do I keep it as it is, or do I refin. And if so, what finish? Or is it possible to restore the burst, or just make the hard edged missing chunks look less jagged?

I have already fitted a new scratchplate to replace a broken one, and added a bridge and pup covers.

Any bright ideas. Some pics..

See chunk of poly glued back on... since fallen back off.

Maya.thumb.jpg.79fb4f7050780bfaaa7ea10f9507a17a.jpg

Back in the 80s!

1211262208_DrasticAction2.thumb.jpg.ea9ddf3e313199f8753e17a87e622be7.jpg

Back in the 2020s!

314373056_5931263343564177_7801423106156080137_n.thumb.jpg.44da64c25137a1e3bcc5b9b719d8885e.jpg

Aside from a big chunk hidden by my hand and smaller chips that are visible there are several big chunks out of the finish around the sides.

• Like 1

Nice fresh Candy Apple Red and a mint guard to go with that lovely bit of endlessly smooth maple :D

On the other hand, from the outside world's pov, there's not much wrong with the appearance as it is, especially with our eyes used to the current fashion of belting the living daylights out of brand new instruments.

• Like 2

Do you look at it and every time think - I wish this looked smarter?  if so get it refinished.  If you look at it and think about all the good times you've together and the missing bits don't even enter your head unless it is the small hours - then don't.  

FWIW I woudln't, but it isn't my bass.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I need to post some pics of the big chips...

That would help, as it looks OK to me in the ones above. Ultimately, if it bugs you, refinish it, if it doesn’t, keep adding that mojo through playing it.

If you just want to protect it from further damage e.g. damp getting into the block board and get rid of the sharp edges then drop fill the chips with clear fast setting epoxy followed by cyno which does polish up.

If otherwise leave it alone or strip it right back and start again.

If you are doing it yourself be sure to use grain filler or you will most likely get bubbles.

My bro bought one of those years ago for his studio. It was a really good bass. He loved it.

Edited by Ralf1e

There's a point at which "mojo" just looks like a damaged/neglected instrument, and one which comes sooner if the wear has been caused by someone other than yourself.

37 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I'd leave it as is - not all mojo has to look like an abused, nitro fender. Your bass has stories to tell, that are all yours! It looks great!

On the other hand the story of doing the refinishing or getting someone good to do it is just as valid.