Why become a member? ×

Things I'd like manufacturers to do...

la bam

Some medium scale 5 string basses would be nice. Pretty thin on the ground.

D'Addario - market the 5 string medium scale set you supply to Ibanez. Well actually just the "b" string will do. The other 4 are an existing medium scale set.

Mono - make different rubber inserts for the bottom of the Bass Sleeve, and probably other gig bags, so they can be used for short/medium scale basses. The existing ones are just velcroed in so how difficult is it?

Tokai (and other Japanese brands) - please find a proper UK distributor for your high-end instruments, so we actually have a chance of being able to try them out and buy them new here.

Behringer or Joyo - make an affordable bass DI, in a metal box, without the whacking great notch (or at least with an adjustable notch depth), and with phantom power.

5 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

And please no more run of the mill bassists' Signature models just because they're in famous bands. Gene Simmons anyone? Do people really buy Signature basses just because of the bass player in a fave band?? Extraordinary. 

You say that, but hardcore KISS fans will buy almost anything branded or endorsed by the band - or at least they used to. I remember watching a TV programme years ago where Gene was marketing a KISS kasket (it is apparently still a thing). You wouldn't make that unless you think you'd be able to sell it! 

2 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

You say that, but hardcore KISS fans will buy almost anything branded or endorsed by the band - or at least they used to. I remember watching a TV programme years ago where Gene was marketing a KISS kasket (it is apparently still a thing). You wouldn't make that unless you think you'd be able to sell it! 

As well as being one of the worst bands ever, to me KISS stand for everything that's rank about crass, unfettered consumerism on this planet. Gene Simmons is a colossal t0$$3r. I can objectively see one or two merits in most bands I can't stand but not KISS.

• Like 5

On 16/11/2022 at 18:40, la bam said:

Ernie Ball - sort the stingray ray34 quality control out.

I'm not sure EBMM has much say in that respect, and unfortunately SBMM keep playing the "I see nothing wrong" game, as far as I can see: example, the black tuners that chew themselves out within a few uses "we'll send you another set". Yes, another identical set made of plasticine. 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2022 at 09:03, cetera said:

Epiphone - Put out high quality, authentic, affordable reissues of Grabber/Ripper & G3 basses, like you did with the Tbird Vintage Pro.

The main problem with Epiphone is the headstock.  I'm sure they're reasonably adept at creating fairly adept body-copies, but in the past they just knob around with the design.  Do you really want P/J pickups (again) and this munter of a headstockon the Ripper/LS9?

87134-tmp3970.jpg?auto=format&w=600&h=60

7 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

The main problem with Epiphone is the headstock.  I'm sure they're reasonably adept at creating fairly adept body-copies, but in the past they just knob around with the design.  Do you really want P/J pickups (again) and this munter of a headstockon the Ripper/LS9?

I can't see the problem, here. It looks to be a headstock alright,  with tuners. I'd want there to be one on a bass, to hold the strings and to tune it up. Unless it's a headless, of course, but how should the strings be attached, if not like this..? :/

5 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

As well as being one of the worst bands ever, to me KISS stand for everything that's rank about crass, unfettered consumerism on this planet. Gene Simmons is a colossal t0$$3r. I can objectively see one or two merits in most bands I can't stand but not KISS.

Sorry didn't meant to be argumentative, I also can't stand KISS or Gene, but I can see why Gibson made that deal. They're probably likely to sell all of those!

6 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I can't see the problem, here. It looks to be a headstock alright,  with tuners. I'd want there to be one on a bass, to hold the strings and to tune it up. Unless it's a headless, of course, but how should the strings be attached, if not like this..? :/

If you're making a true copy, the LS9 headstock of below.  It's the same as all these Epiphone Les Pauls, the headstock is wrong.  They seem to be able to do it properlyish with Flying Vs/Explorers/Thunderbirds, but can't resist putting an adapted headstock on anything 2 or 4 aside.

4D7245A1-3176-4B81-9216-05446C5F9956.jpg

17 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

What do you expect when their parent company can't even do reissues/tributes properly?

image.thumb.png.3a54c22bfe0dd6f504c4f0dab544ae17.png image.png.0cb3223a97db9cfad935ded76fd63ad9.png

Left - original 70s G-3

Right - Grabber 3 70s "Tribute"

25 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Nope. That's why I specified I wanted authentic copies/