Why become a member? ×

Tribute Bands - do you play in one? Just for fun

Mickeyboro

I used to write for Guitar and Bass magazine (no longer published) and a feature idea I never got into print was about musicians who play in tribute bands.

The kind of things I wanted to know:

Do you have to be a fan of the original artist, or maybe you become one?

How important is it to be visually/musically identical? How much latitude are you allowed?

Do you ‘get into character’ or is it just a gig?

Does it feel musically limiting, or is it fulfilling your needs? (Maybe you have a side band?)

Do you have any qualms about tributes ‘stifling original music’?

Have you ever met or been seen by a member of the ‘originals’? What did they say?

What is the overriding thing being in a tribute act has taught you?

Having done it once, would you do it again? If so, would the musical angle be very different?

After initially being snobbish I have seen some great tributes, my favourites being ELO Experience (featuring @casapete), Limehouse Lizzy and Purple Zeppelin.

Would be interested in people’s experiences…

• Like 5

I'm wide awake and bored so I'll wade in with my thoughts:

Do you have to be a fan of the original artist, or maybe you become one? - I don't think you have to be a fan, but I would say it helps. If you're a fan, you will come pre-configured with a certain amount of knowledge of the material which should make things quicker to get rolling. So, not a necessity in my experience, but it's handy.

How important is it to be visually/musically identical? How much latitude are you allowed? -  I think this very much depends on who you're tributing. If it's KISS, you're rather obliged to go 'all in', but if it's Eagles, who cares?

Do you ‘get into character’ or is it just a gig? - Again, I think it depends who you're tributing. It was difficult for me to know which 'character' I was supposed to be getting into as I was the bass player for a Bowie tribute. I had a Gail Ann Dorsey Stingray tribute hanging off me, but I'm not black or female, I don't wear skirts and she was playing a lot of material that was originally played by others.

Does it feel musically limiting, or is it fulfilling your needs? (Maybe you have a side band?) -  Personally, it never was. It was always a challenge. We had a high turnover of not difficult, but not particularly easy songs in the catalogue which had various arrangements attached to them. With my other bands, it always kept me busy.

Do you have any qualms about tributes ‘stifling original music’? - None. We played. People paid to see us.

Have you ever met or been seen by a member of the ‘originals’? What did they say? - Live, not to my knowledge. We were seen by some hardcore Bowie fans over the years and they're known for being hyper critical. They liked us.

What is the overriding thing being in a tribute act has taught you? - You can't please all of them. There's always one or two that would say 'Bowie did' this or that on the original although we tried to remain faithful to specific versions of live versions of songs. Some had been adapted by Bowie over the years. Sometimes the key was different to the original (for good reason), the version was truncated/extended or segued. There were always the stick in the muds that lived and died by everything from the Ziggy era, but that's not where we pitched ourselves. We were very much, if Bowie was still touring, this is most likely what you would have got, not what he did 50 odd years ago.

Having done it once, would you do it again? If so, would the musical angle be very different? - Done it once (Bowie), done it twice (Bon Jovi) and I'm about to do it again (Queen). Three not massively different musical angles. It has to be music I like or I wouldn't have the appeal. I honestly cannot wait to start with Queen, although finding a keys player that can also sing good backing is proving problematic.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

For a couple of years I was in an Eagles tribute band called 'The Long Road' as a result of our agent suggesting there was a market for that kind of thing.

I wasn't. Our regular band was playing a few of their songs on rotation and I could take or leave them. I found that making the effort to learn the proper arrangements made me appreciate the music and musicians more, but I never became a fan.

How important is it to be visually/musically identical? How much latitude are you allowed?

No amount of digital manipulation would have made us look like them, so we styled ourselves as an evening of 'music by the Eagles'. 😃

Given the above, I think an attempt to get into character would have been a disaster. At the time, my main bass was a Steinberg Spirit headless, which I thought wasn't in keeping with the 'spirit' (sorry) of the Eagles, so I borrowed an Epiphone EB0 and ended up using a Cort Jazz bass copy. The rest of the band continued with what they had, (which wasn't too out of place) and we didn't really try to look or act like a Southern Rock band. 

Does it feel musically limiting, or is it fulfilling your needs? (Maybe you have a side band?)

The Long Road was our side band. The regular band (The Insiderz - same line-up, different set list) continued in parallel. I personally found playing a set of Eagles songs limiting as it's not my cup of tea, and the bass lines weren't varying enough for me. I'm not the best singer, so backing vocals were a big challenge. The two bands together worked for me as each generated work for the other with re-bookings etc. 

No more than I have any covers band 'stifling' original music. We were playing agent-booked venues that wouldn't consider an original band, and no self respecting original music venue would have booked us. 😃

Have you ever met or been seen by a member of the ‘originals’? What did they say?

No. Thank goodness. I'm sure they would have been appalled and given their roots I'm sure we would have been run out of town on the end of ropes tied to horses. 🤣

1: It's a lot of work to do it properly (our singer didn't put as much effort in as was required and it didn't last long). 2: Personally, it's too restrictive as I like playing a variety of song styles in a set. 3: Whether or not I like the act being tributed, I have the utmost respect for those of do put the effort in and do it well. 4: Most of the venues we played (South Wales clubs booked by an agent) didn't really want a whole night of one band's songs and we were often asked to add a few 'extra curricula' songs in the second half. I'm not sure that at our level a full tribute act is realistic.  

Having done it once, would you do it again? If so, would the musical angle be very different?

Good question. I guess I wouldn't count it out completely but it would depend on circumstances - mainly the people in the band with me. I think my preference would be to do a genre tribute rather than a band tribute, and only with band members who i know would commit to putting the effort in. I've just been told 'The Long Road' are gathering once again with the same singer and a bunch of new musicians. I was half expecting a phone call but it doesn't appeal to me and I'd say no.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Several Genesis tribute bands from mid 90s to mid/late '00s

I was already, and it definitely helps. I wouldn't join a trib that I wasn't interested in learning the parts for, or didn't enjoy listenign to.

Not massively, unless it's a big thing of the original band. As the "Rutherford" I wasn't about to grow a foot in height, grow a beard or speak in a plummy voice.

Having said that, I know of other tribs who spent thousands of $$$ sourcing the original silk to line their Peter Gabriel's cloak for Watcher of the Skies, so there we go.

Again, no "acting" the part of Mike Rutherford for me. If anything I would maybe dress in the style which was pretty neutral stage gear.

I was in other bands (although one other band fired me for being in multiple others "we should be your only priority" so maybe good job there), but being in a Genesis trib was extremely helpful in making me a better musician, especially when you factor in the quirky arrangements, 12-string guitar, acoustic guitar, bass pedals etc

Nope, but I probably wouldn't do it again as my only gig. And I don't really go and see tribute bands any more.

Yep, Steve Hackett came to see us at least once (in fact I met him for the first time at another tribute band's show in the mid 90s). Have also met Phil Collins, but not at a gig.

There are some strange people out there, both fans and musicians. I stopped doing it mostly because "you're doing it wrong". (I wasn't)

Having done it once, would you do it again?

Probably not. I've still got the equipment but it's not seen the light of day for quite a while.

• Like 2

I have been in two tributes, an ABBA band and a Dire Straits tribute.

Not sure I'd have been described as fan, as such. Playing the songs of both gave me a greater appreciation of the craft in the songs. Dire Straits especially. Mark Knopfler is a brilliant writer.

I wasn't visually similar to either original. Luckily Rutger was always in the background!

Just a gig, in that respect.

I put in the important parts of original lines but also got to put my own identity into it. I found it very enjoyable.

I'm not sure they do. I have a mate who sings in a Who tribute and he seems to rather think he is Roger Daltrey. He is getting gigs entirely on the back of the Who and so I see no great merit in it.

Not met any of them, with an awareness I have been in a tribute band.

Nothing really. As stated, I gained a greater respect for the craft of songwriting.

I have sort of done it again. I toured with Greg Douglass (Steve Miller Band) and we played a variety of hits Greg has been involved in. Great fun and a chance to play with a fine guitar player. Similarly, Full House plays Frankie Miller's songs (blimey, what's the Miller thing). Again. hugely enjoyable.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 2

I'm currently the bassist in the UK's foremost/only Roxy Music tribute band, Roxy Magic. www.roxymagic.co.uk

Having played the songs for a few years have made me appreciate the original band even more. Growing up in the seventies, Roxy Music were everywhere, so it was hard to ignore them. I was a fan, but I never thought to join/start a tribute band until the opportunity arose. It helps if you (at the very least) like the band - I'd imagine it would be hell on earth to play in a tribute to a band you actively loathe.

As long as you don't take too many liberties and the "signature" parts of the song are kept intact, the punters don't seem to mind. However, if I hit the fuzz pedal for the intro to "Love is the Drug" it would signal the end of a long career. 

Fortunately, everyone is looking at our singer, who is practically a doppelganger of Mr Ferry. The band dress as if we're off to a wedding reception a la the current version of the real band. To be honest, we could dress like bricklayers and I don't think most of the punters would mind as long as the singer was in a nice suit. 

I'm really lucky as the musical palette of Roxy Music was so broad that it's challenging and fun to play. I get to play pop, prog, rock, disco and almost all points in between. And in terms of technique; fingerstyle, plectrum and slap.

Nope. The "real" band are playing bigger venues and earning more money than we are. 

A few members of Roxy Music have seen the band since its inception - none while I've been in the band though (make of that what you will...) Andy Mackay really liked the band and Paul Thompson was quite keen to play a gig or two with us. Bryan Ferry wished us luck in a very gracious manner, too. 

It's taught me that people love live music and are grateful that they have the opportunity to enjoy it in a moderately sized venue for a sensible price. It's also taught me that most Roxy Music fans have no idea who played bass in Roxy Music. And that suits me fine. 

In a heartbeat, yep. As long as I like the band, the songs are fun to play and my fellow musicians are generally lovely human beings, then I'm happy. 

I can heartily recommend Absolute Bowie, Teenage Werewolves (a tribute to The Cramps and bizarrely, also Bauhaus) and We Are Not Devo. A good night is guaranteed for all. 

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've played for a few tribute shows over the years, so here's my opinions....

Do you have to be a fan of the original artist, or maybe you become one?

Not really, but it helps if you at least like the music. If it's for more than a one off show, it can be difficult to do it justice if you don't like what you are playing.

I've been lucky, in that it doesn't have to be 100% perfect. I normally get a bit of leeway, as long as it is in the style of the music.

Nope. Just put on the appropriate outfit (which may or may not be supplied) and go play. It's different for the singer though, who generally does have to play a role.

Does it feel musically limiting, or is it fulfilling your needs? (Maybe you have a side band?)

I've never played in only one situation at a time, so I've always got other things on the go. I've never felt limited though.

No. They are generally totally different scenes

Yes. I've played for 3 or 4 Elvis' who have won the Graceland Ultimate Elvis contests, and a couple of tours featured Elvis backing vocalists The Sweet Inspirations. I did an ABBA show that was featured on a Channel 5 documentary about them. More recently, I'm playing with a Blondie show that regularly does gigs with Blondies drummer Clem Burke, and their original bass player Gary Valentine.

Honestly, not much from a playing standpoint.  The main thing is catering for the fans who just know the hits, and the hardcore fans who want to hear the album tracks that the original band doesn't play.

Having done it once, would you do it again? If so, would the musical angle be very different?

Yeah, I've done a lot of different tribute shows over the years, and as long as they are enjoyable and the gigs are decent, I'll do them again.

Edited by Doddy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, my two penny’s worth-

Bass in Fu Fighters,  FooVana and U.K. Chili Peppers over the years

Do you have to be a fan of the original artist, or maybe you become one? I would say 100% if you want to do it justice and enjoy yourself. Personally I wouldn’t play in any band if the music didn’t appeal.

How important is it to be visually/musically identical? How much latitude are you allowed? I used pretty much the exact same gear, including some of Nate’s actual gear including his Black Lakland Bass , Ashdown CTM and pedals. Also his signature Fender CAR P, although I had an original 69 and 72 CAR too. Looking like him was never an issue, couldn’t look less like him tbh.

Being Flea I dressed in the skeleton suit and played a Modulus, jumped about and had an excellent time. Such a blast.

Just gig, but lucky enough to play some absolute killer festivals in front of thousands of people, as close as I’ll ever get to rock stardom.

Does it feel musically limiting, or is it fulfilling your needs? (Maybe you have a side band?) Fulfilling as you can still put your own spin on things but it has to sound right, especially the Flea stuff, you just can’t wing that!

Do you have any qualms about tributes ‘stifling original music’? Nope

Have you ever met or been seen by a member of the ‘originals’? What did they say? Yeah, met Chris Shiflett and he was super cool about it. Spent about 30 mins chatting and exchanged picks with him day after Belfast gig a few years ago. Such a cool dude.

What is the overriding thing being in a tribute act has taught you? Play your heart out as the audience care that it’s right and right.

Having done it once, would you do it again? If so, would the musical angle be very different? If it fits with something I’d like to do then yeah. 

• Like 7

Cheat Trick a tribute to... Cheap Trick

image.png.d0fc9fc5fb7e1ceb0bdbe17daaa895b0.png

A fan since about '79.  Everyone in the tribute band either has as much passion for them as I do or knows most if not all of the important stuff.

Visually we dress like them (various periods to choose from) and sound as alike as limitations allow (sorry but finding a vocalist who can carry it off perfectly is near impossible).  I'm personally struggling with the whole 12 string bass thing but finding 'work around' ways to achieve the sound and look and the guitarist does own 2 or 5 neck guitars.

Character all the way.

Musically satisfying and stimulating and fulfills a need/desire I've not had from any other band in 45 years... if I could be in any band in the world during my life it would have been Cheap Trick.

No.  I can't write material as good as they did (or any other decent band) but why can't I enjoy the next best thing of playing those songs and giving fans the chance to hear the songs played live with as much passion as the original might.  I leave writing to those that can.  

No.  

Discipline to learn the songs in detail.  I've also never realised how much Tom Petersson influenced nuances of my own playing style.  Oh and playing 12 string bass for 2 hours is a massive achievement.

There's probably no other band who I admire (musically) as much as them and I think I'd get bored playing 90-120 minutes of another band's catalogue.

http://www.cheattrick.co.uk/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great thread! I‘ve generally played in blues bands , some with fussy old school types , some with more interpretation.

Years ago I was in a play about Hank Williams Sr, we wore suits and copped the feel of the material quite well. It was a nice study , the audience loved it. It was a good gig. it was just a stand up and play situation. 

• Thanks 1

Great thread, really enjoying reading this. As a left handed bassist who fancies a bit of vocals I've always wanted to do a Beatles tribute, contacted someone a year ago who was setting one up but he'd already canned the idea and moved on to Cream, which I also thought about but realised the guy was flaky and changeable at a seconds notice. 

My current band did a 2000's night a few months back and we've been booked for another. That feels a good fit for us but we have been debating how far we need to go with the theme, how we dress, how we present the songs, to make it viable as a show and get booked for other venues. It's a long debate with no conclusion!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in a Bon Jovi tribute band, Just Jovi, for around 5 years.  That sounds a long time but the last 2 years were during COVID so only really count nominally.  It morphed from a classic rock covers band where there was a feeling that we would play better gigs and generally have a better time of it as a tribute band.  Bon Jovi was picked as we did a few songs in the set and it suited the singers range.  We made the change 2016, I stepped down in 2021 after lockdowns gave me time to reflect, Warren @hiram.k.hackenbacker replaced me.

Fair to say I only knew a handful of Bon Jovi songs when we started.  Learning the basslines I grew to have enormous respect for Hugh McDonald as a bass player but, ultimately, not particularly liking the songs was the main reason I stepped down.

We decided to do the whole dressing up thing - wigs and costumes for the main players.  99/100 Bon Jovi fans most likely couldn't pick out Hugh Mc in a lineout as he always took a step back from the limelight so visually my role wasn't so important.  Physically I bear little resemblance to him but nevertheless wore similar clothes and the same shape sunglasses - that was about it.  Musically was a different matter.  I tried, best I could, to replicate the basslines note perfect.

Just a gig, although I did a lot of reading around the band and HM in particular.

At the time it was one of 3 bands and different to the others so, no, not at all limiting.  If anything it made me grow as I was playing with some of the best local musicians, making me keep at the top of my game.

Not even remotely.  Tribute bands have a very definite and distinct place in the market.  

No.

Discipline, as a player.  It has given me experience of playing larger venues and also taught me the value of tribute bands as a whole.

I'd do it again but only for music that I enjoyed myself.  That said I am knocking on a bit at 65 so opportunities and ambition may be a limiting factor!

I am currently in a 3 piece blues rock band.  In one sense it is a tribute to a genre of music but a different approach - we interpret songs rather than cover them, which is very rewarding.  It is the music that I grew up listening to, it is a part of my DNA, it feeds my soul.  I enjuoy it far more than any other band I have played in and hope it lasts until decrepitude forces me to give up. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My name is Pete, and I play bass in a tribute band - The ELO Experience.

I've been doing it for around 10 years now, with the band being formed a few years before I joined. When

the band first started I believe we were the only one on the go, now there's a few more appearing.

So, here we go!

I think it definitely helps, although in my case I wasn't a full on ELO nerd - actually prefer

Roy Wood's stuff to the later ELO albums. Have grown to like most of the ELO stuff now

though, especially the crowd pleasers.

A difficult one this - when the band first started out, the visual thing wasn't so important,

with all the effort being put into sounding authentic. However, mainly due to people coming

to our gigs it was decided to make our singer look more like Jeff Lynne. At first I went for a

bit of a 70's look with my stagewear, but this has gradually changed to more how Jeff Lynne's

band have looked recently. (If any people here know how the late great bassist Kelly Groucutt

looked in ELO then you'll understand my relief!)

We do try to sound reasonably authentic, with some changes being deemed okay to fit in with

our line up, Never had anyone call me out for anything yet, so think it's okay.

As I'm not playing anyone in particular then this isn't an issue. Never see it as 'just a gig' though,

I always approach it with a positive outlook, thinking the paying audience deserve to see a band

who look up for it.

I don't find it limiting - I'm no amazing player and some of the lines do stretch me a bit which

is probably a good thing. I still do other things outside the band - I'm in an acoustic duo which

is great fun, along with an occasional gigs in country/rock band 'The Fork Handles'. I also 

really enjoy doing occasional deps. As the tribute band gigs are mainly in theatre type

environments, these other gigs are usually in smaller venues - pubs, clubs etc, which I've

done for over 40 years now.

None. As others have mentioned, it's only a type of cover band at the end of the day. 

Hope this doesn't sound overblown, but Jeff/ELO didn't play live for years, and I like to think

we played a small part in keeping his music going with all his fans through that period.

Our singer and keyboard player were invited to Birmingham when Jeff Lynne was visiting

to immortalize his handprints on Broad Street. They got to meet him briefly, and were 

suitably blown away. (Also met Jeff's mate Jasper Carrot too!)

When ELO were rehearsing for their 'comeback' gigs we had some of the band come to see

us at Richmond Theatre. They were rehearsing nearby so thought they'd come and check us out.

Fortunately I didn't see them until after the show when they came down to talk to us. I met Lee

Pomeroy, who was absolutely fantastic. He said some nice things and even had a go on my bass!

All the band were lovely and happy to chat for ages, & we were absolutely thrilled to meet them.

Never underestimate your audience. Also always remember how much love they have for the music

you're playing and try to do it justice. We have some fans who follow us all over the place, and I

never forget their commitment and support which allows us to keep going.

This is actually the 2nd tribute band I've been involved in, the first one being a Neil Diamond show.

That got rid of some of my doubts over the whole tribute thing, so by the time I was asked to join

my current band I kind of knew what to expect. I would consider another tribute band if the 

situation ever arose, and would most enjoy something like a Stones / Motown / Springsteen type

of thing (although don't think I could do Jamerson's Motown bass lines justice TBH). However,

I'm approaching 65 and hope that I can carry on with this band until I decide to slow down a 

bit gig wise - doing gigs all over the UK does push me at times, but still absolutely loving it!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've played in two tribute bands - one tour with a Cure tribute, and for several years in a Joy Division one.

I'm a big fan of the Cure, and a bit of a Joy Division obsessive. I couldn't see myself playing in a tribute to an act I'm not pretty passionate about.

With the Joy Division tribute, we went out of our way to use the same equipment they did (including the plywood Rickenbacker copy and Yamaha BB in my case). We also dressed like them, and I would grow stubble for a few days before shows to get the authentic, scruffy Peter Hook look. The other two JD tributes that are doing the rounds don't use equipment remotely like the original band, and in one case have a completely different line up with a female keyboard player - which was more like New Order!

Beyond dressing like the original bad, no I don't. However, in the Cure tribute the singer would talk to the audience in a voice like Robert Smith's, which I found a bit cringe inducing, but not as weird as the people in one audience who would call me "Simon" when asking for particular songs.

Playing songs I love is actually quite fulfilling, bit I do also play in bands playing original music.

My experience of speaking with typical tribute act audiences is that they are big gig goers generally and see a lot of original acts as well.

The singer in the JD tribute has met Peter Hook and was actually encouraged by him to form a tribute since he looks uncannily like Ian Curtis. He has also sung for the show that plays orchestral versions of JD songs, which I think has had some participation from Peter Hook.

Other tribute acts can be just as bitchy, back stabbing b*stards as they are in the world of bands playing original music. That's why I prefer playing shows with no support, since I can avoid the egos and general nastiness of other people in other bands.

I'd still be happy playing in the JD tribute - sadly the singer moved away during the lockdown and now has a new line up. If the original line up was still going, I don't think I'd really change anything since it was a nice bunch of people and we got some very nice compliments from people, including those who had seen the real JD and had sometimes been a little sceptical about the experience before seeing us play.

• Like 1

For a couple of years I was 'Keef Rockhard' in a Rolling Stones tribute, and I currently play with Bowie tribute Rebel Heroes, originally on bass but now on second guitar. I have also depped with tributes to Dire Straits and Slade (in two different bands, in case you were wondering!)

I am a lifelong Bowie nut so it is an absolute treat to be playing his songs in front of appreciative audiences. The singer is likewise Bowie obsessed, the other band members not so much. It definitely helps to have a deeper knowledge of the material and its various live versions.

I already loved the Rolling Stones but got to know and appreciate their material a lot better from learning to play it note-for-note.

Depends on the band's USP.

Our 'Bowie' doesn't look much like the man himself, we are more about faithfully reproducing the music. We generally play the songs as per the original studio recording, or choose a great live version to replicate. Bowie has had any number of backing musicians. There are Bowie tributes that do a wig and costume change for, say,  a Ziggy-era set and an 80s set. We don't, but we do dress for the stage.

In the Stones tribute, the singer was a convincing look-alike and we all adopted stage dress, make-up and wigs to look as much like our real-life counterparts as possible.

It's not 'just a gig' to me, it's the privileged position of being paid (usually) to play your favourite music. I'm told that it's evident that I'm in my happy place when I'm playing.

As 'Keef', yes, and I spent a lot of time learning his stage moves. I sometimes used to put a Jim Beam bottle containing apple juice on top of my amp and swig from it between numbers.

Not limiting at all. I do play in a few bands but even if I didn't I wouldn't consider it limiting. Bowie's music covers a huge range of styles and can be pretty challenging.

No, tributes are a different market for a start.

Yes. Rebel Heroes played the Bowie Fan Convention in Liverpool earlier this year, and Spiders From Mars drummer Woody Woodmansey was a guest speaker. He saw our show and loved it so much that he came back stage to tell us so and spent 40 minutes chatting with us. I was beside myself with joy to meet the guy who played on four fantastic Bowie albums as well as touring with him.

Music is deep and contains incredible detail. When you start listening in depth to recorded parts, you hear much more nuance than you get from a transcription/tab book.

In a heartbeat, but it would have to be the right artist. I was once asked if I wanted to try out for the bass position in a Pink Floyd tribute. I knew some of the band members already, I had seen the band and knew they were excellent, and I like a bit of Floyd - but I don't love the band. I'm happy with Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and maybe Animals, but I can't stand most of The Wall, so that was never going to work.

• Like 1

I admire good tribute bands. The dedication and attention to detail required to play the material true to the original (musically and stylistically) is impressive. I played a large wedding once where the main band was a Beatles tribute. They had the right instruments and amps, the right clothes and sounded very close, including spot on vocal harmonies. They were great and I enjoyed their set very much. However, I couldn't play in a trib' myself. I'd get bored. I'm too much of a grasshopper. I like to flit from one artist/style to another. My failing, I guess.

• Like 1

I was a founding member of a KISS tribute with whom I spent 25 years performing across the World. I, of course, portrayed 'Gene Simmons'....

You don't HAVE to be, but you should at the very least have a high level of appreciation for either the band or musician you are portraying. There's no way on earth I'd play in an Oasis tribute for example....

This depends on the band. With KISS the visuals are EQUALLY as important as the music, but the visuals are also the hardest. I've seen some terrible KISS tributes where the Gene Simmons is only 5ft tall (even in his 7" stack heels) and the Paul Stanley is way overweight and lycra is NOT his friend.... lol! Many of them barely move onstage or think that an occasional stick out of the tongue is 'job done'.  *head shake*
With an ABBA tribute, the four upfront need to look right, but the rest of the band not so much. However, no matter what band/artist it is.... musically the attention to details needs to be there e.g. accurate parts, identical solos like the record/famous live version etc. I also think that where possible identical or very similar instruments should be used - particularly if the artist is know for it e.g. Mick Ronson - Les Paul, Clapton - Strat, Simmons- Axe, McCartney - Hofner/Ricky.

Also, I believe there to be two distinct types of 'tribute'.

1) A 'Tribute to the Music of....' - Bands/artists not known for their look/visual impact/frontman with specific image i.e. Steely Dan, Eagles, Chicago etc

2) A Tribute Band/Artist - has a strong visual as well as musical impact whether just frontman or whole band i.e. Stones, Beatles, Queen, KISS, Bowie etc

Anything else is a cover band. They may like to think they're a 'tribute', or bill themselves as one - but, to me, if they play the songs of an artist without the necessary attention to details musically and/or visually then they could just be a covers band down the pub...

In the KISS tribute my 'character' was everything. I had to learn/practice how to walk/prowl on 7" stack heels with a huge armour/studded suit on while playing bass, flicking my tongue, grinding my hips etc.... lol! Add lead singing 40% of the set on and bv'ing the rest on to that.... and then learning to breathe fire and spit blood... well, it wasn't exactly a walk in the park, especially when dodging pyro pots and flame pods onstage!

If I was a Bill Wyman, Flea, McCartney etc I would also think it essential to get into character. However, if I was in e.g. a Squeeze tribute, it wouldn't be necessary.

I wouldn't say I found it musically limiting - it was a challenge recreating the bass lines accurately while juggling the vocals and physical moves too. We also regularly changed up the set and played plenty of album cuts for fan and band enjoyment. I played/play other stuff at home for myself anyway and at various points over those 25 years I was in a couple of original bands and pub cover bands on the side. Also, there's a skill and discipline in recreating things accurately every night.....

Not at all. It's a separate scene and tbh it keep venues in business, but we always tried to have a local upcoming originals band on as support when we could in order to give something back. Where else would they get to play their original material to maybe 400+ people a night and get to promote themselves/sell a few CDs etc? Certainly not on their own shows....

We were very lucky in that our positive profile with the band and their record company gave us many amazing opportunities including:

Gene invited us to perform a private show for him and the schoolkids on his 'Gene Simmons Rock School' TV series. This was a highlight as we spent lots of time in his company, laughing, smiling and joking. I've met him a few times now and the 'real' Gene I/we know is not the controversial person he projects for the press/general public (PT Barnum was right).
We were asked to play at various KISS album and video launch events for Universal Records.

We played various Fan Conventions across Europe where we met members/former members Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley, Peter Criss, Bruce Kulick, Eric Singer, Mark St John (RIP) and their longtime Manager Bill Aucoin (RIP). We also had all bar Paul, Gene & Ace join us onstage at different events to play live with us! We only ever got positive feedback from them - although a couple of former members (with alcohol issues) were a little 'difficult' ;) lol!

Other well known bands also came to see us over the years including The Red Hot Chilli Peppers who saw us at the London Marquee club & Def Leppard who saw us at Tokyo Ariake Coliseum.

Attention to detail, personal discipline, huge respect for the creative aspect of the original act and musicians involved...and the energy needed to do it night on night for years! It's also a lot harder to do it right than people give credit for..... or than doing an originals band, where there are little or no audience expectations other than hopefully vaguely decent songs. All the 'best' tribute bands and shows pull out all the stops, wherever possible/financially realistic and this sets them apart from what are, otherwise, mainly glorified 'cover bands'. Recreation of the main things the band/artist are known for are key....!

However, having said that.... there are some particularly anal fans who will always find something to criticise. One guy said to our Paul Stanley that it was "an excellent show but you don't have quite as much chest hair as Paul Stanley"... to which our guy replied "I'm not Jewish either and I've still got my foreskin .... how accurate do you need it to be?!!" ;)

I would..... not KISS though... as a slightly overweight 50+ in lycra and make up paying tribute to a similar 70+ year old wouldn't be a great look! I'd rather be involved with a 'Tribute to the music of' show..... ideally The Doobie Brothers, Journey, ELO, Toto or something equally as musically satisfying. I'm happy for now doing my 'Classic Rock Anthems & Power Ballads Show' in theatres..... although part of me would love to do a bit of 'Rutger' in an ABBA tribute too ;)

FB_IMG_1658832827133.jpg

FB_IMG_1629904354869.jpg

Edited by cetera
Spelling/another memory/pics
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I haven't ,would say no but i'd draw the line at looks more important than sound 

i've played in pub cover bands for 20 years but would never go and see one 

We put on a good show but if i wasn't in us i wouldn't watch us 

just not my thing 

• Like 1

'ello. I'm second from right in a very silly gig indeed.

7X1EKHs.jpeg

Wasn't to start with, then listened to nothing else for six months to get into shape, then couldn't listen to them again outside of gigs for the next three years. I'm finally getting round to enjoying them casually again now.

Oh, lots and lots and lots. If you get the broad strokes right people fill in the blanks; even the hypercritical snobby fans (who are thankfully few and far between) don't notice as much as they think they do. We try to be true to the spirit if not the letter. We have an authentically upside-down left-handed bass player, and I'm a bald guy on keyboards/guitar, and that's about it. Our singer looks uncannily like Mark when she wears her glasses which is a nice co-incidence.

The really odd bit is that we have a nice little sideline in logo branded t-shirts that do quite well. I think we've built up a bit of a following now so we get a fair few people coming to see us just because they specifically like what we do, as opposed to just liking the material. DEVO aren't touring over here and  even if they were they aren't playing the early seventies vibe that we're trying to cop, so I'm happy to fill that niche. 

A bit. It'd feel a bit daft to pretend to be the exact Spuds, but we go for the attitude and vibes and people seem happy with it. We have a lot of handy folks in the band so we've gradually built our own props/costumes/instruments over the years. It's helpful that our bass player is usually allergic to anything sniffing of 'commercialism' so we have a finely tuned barometer of "that's a right womble idea" to run ideas past; if he's game for it then it's probably not too cheeseball.

We all have other projects. I wish writing with these guys was as easy as touring with them because we've made it six years or so without any major fallouts or line-up changes. They're very accommodating of me dropping the odd "sorry chaps, but I have to block two months out of the calendar for this other tour" as it's not a full-time gig for any of us.

I don't think putting a silly hat on is going to stop garage bands from playing original music. It doesn't even stop me.

DEVO shared us on their facebook page a couple of Halloweens ago and they were asked about us in a Guardian Reader's Questions feature (Jerry was very diplomatic) so they know we exist. We've spoken to their team a few times and they've politely requested we don't use certain bits of artwork which we're happy to do. My requests to be the UK franchise of the band have been politely ignored.

I try to take something away from every gig I play with, but I suppose it's been an interesting exercise into really deep-diving into one particular catalogue. I can't think of many other acts where I know 30-40 songs to gigging standard.

Oh, probably not. I like the idea of doing brief dives into a catalogue to do a one-and-done Stars In Their Eyes tribute night or something, but it's been a bit intensive learning all the music plus co-bandleading really. I auditioned on keys for a Foos tribute a couple of years back but my heart wasn't really in it even though the money would be better and the material significantly easier. I sometimes see other tributes post audition lists and then go away and learn them just as an exercise (Slade and Blink 182 recently) but I don't think I'd connect with them quite like WAND.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1