Why become a member? ×

Worst cover version (by competent musicians)

Nail Soup

Someone suggested this as the worst ever cover in one of my FB feeds... what do you nominate as the worst cover?

(Sorry if it's been done before)

I'm really thinking of ones that deliberately sound the way they do.... not ones done by people who can't play/sing.

Going Underground (The Jam) covered by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

I know it's only a 'regional accent', but I can never get used to the transatlantic pronunciations of many words. Singing 'Smoke on the Waaarder' grates on my cloth ears, despite the innovative 'laid back' treatment, which is otherwise fine enough.
S'not just this fellow, of course; how many TV series are made painful for me by so such talk as 'Oh, my guard..! It came as such a shark to my darder'. OK, it's just me; I'll shut up now. :$

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Actually, this may be better than the original 😁

His earlier covers of Little Richard songs just might be some of the worst covers ever recorded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nail Soup said:

Someone suggested this as the worst ever cover in one of my FB feeds... what do you nominate as the worst cover?

I'm really thinking of ones that deliberately sound the way they do.... not ones done by people who can't play/sing.

It's not for me to comment on whether this is the "worst ever cover", but... the bass player is staggeringly good looking, don'tcha think?🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I actually didn’t mind that, apart from the appearance of it being mimed.

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

https://youtu.be/yXlULkwhgrc

The White Stripes version of Jolene has got to be pretty close to being the worst thing I've ever heard. 

I've always liked it on Under Great White Northern Lights (live album), I'd say that version is better than the YouTube one, but it's basically the same thing.

4 hours ago, lowdown said:

OMG, it's like watching your creepy uncle singing at a wedding with the band...

Great, isn't it?

😀

I daren't post his cover of Enter Sandman ...

And don't forget there's innumerable breathy versions of classics specially made for use in perfume ads 🤮

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Can't stand The Jam nor any of Weller's other incarnations so for me this is a marked improvement 👍👍.

Got to agree with all the other noms apart from Bill Shatner's Rocket Man and Len Nimoy's I Walk The Line. That's entertainment, mr Weller 😁

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I knew it wouldn't be long before this popped up!

I'm not a fan of Disturbed, but I really don't understand the hatred for this... it's an incredible vocal performance. 

Really? Sounds like it has been saturated in effects/autotune.