Why become a member? ×

Apparently…..it isn’t a job

ARGH

Ok. Just been informed that being a full time musician isn’t a real job. Along with other selected classics over the years

“Covers/functions gigs are not real gigs”

”Doing that means you have no integrity..”

”You must be dead inside to play that stuff”

”It’s easy…”

”But you play… (insert genre, add the disgust)”

add yours at leisure…

The £300+ I just chucked in my account a few hours back was not ‘REALLY earned’ 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

I'm bloody glad I'm a part timer.  Arts professionals get zip all respect.  Quite what folk think gives them the right to pass judgements like that is beyond me.

Hey, bus driver, that looks easy, I could do your "job".  🙄

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ARGH said:

Ok. Just been informed that being a full time musician isn’t a real job. Along with other selected classics over the years

”It’s easy…”

add yours at leisure…

The £300+ I just chucked in my account a few hours back was not ‘REALLY earned’ 🤣🤣

"If you can play guitar you can play bass"

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ARGH said:

”It’s easy…”

add yours at leisure…

True story: At school I told my careers advisor in front of my whole class I wanted to ve a session musician.

She replied, “That’s all well and good Daniel, but what will you do for a real job?”

In your face lady! My bass has been solely paying all of my bills for many, many years now and has been my obsession for over 35 years (as those who have seen my reviews know!)

• Like 20

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

My school career officer told me there were no careers in computers for people like me.

Which was nice

School careers officer - that looks like an easy job, doing that means you have no integrity, you must be dead inside.  I've got it - OP, they got you mixed up with a school careers officer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

My school career officer told me there were no careers in computers for people like me.

Which was nice

Barry Sheene...

"Problem with you Sheene is your head is full of Motorbikes, Mark my words...there's no financial future in Motorbikes..."

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dood said:

True story: At school I told my careers advisor in front of my whole class I wanted to ve a session musician.

She replied, “That’s all well and good Daniel, but what will you do for a real job?”

In your face lady! My bass has been solely paying all of my bills for many, many years now and has been my obsession for over 35 years (as those who have seen my reviews know!)

Do I suspect this is where piehole had its first outing?

• Haha 1

When I left school I told everyone, including the school careers officer and my parents, I didn't know what I was going to do. It was the easiest way to deflect the stupid comments about real jobs etc.

I knew exactly what I was going to do. Two weeks later I had joined a pro band and was recording my first album. For the last 30 years I've been playing with professional musicians most of whom have made 40 year careers in music.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Dood said:

18 minutes ago, chris_b said:

When I left school I told everyone, including the school careers officer and my parents, I didn't know what I was going to do. It was the easiest way to deflect the stupid comments about real jobs etc.

I knew exactly what I was going to do. Two weeks later I had joined a pro band and was recording my first album. For the last 30 years I've been playing with professional musicians most of whom have made 40 year careers in music.

You guys are living the dream, kudos.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ezbass said:

You guys are living the dream, kudos.

Sadly, my "dream" only lasted 6 years. It was an unequal struggle and I ran out of money, prospects, contacts and determination so completely that I took up a job in IT!!

Most of the guys I play with have married, bought houses and raised kids on musicians pay. I envy them their ability to survive and prosper. I wish that had been me but I realised my limitations early on.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Sadly, my "dream" only lasted 6 years. It was an unequal struggle and I ran out of money, prospects, contacts and determination so completely that I took up a job in IT!!

But you did do it. No one can take that away from you.

• Like 2