Why become a member? ×

Do not bring that bass again... please

javi_bassist

Hi guys!

I just wanted to share with you something that happened to me last weekend. I have been playing some wedding gigs (which I actually enjoy) with some great musicians. There are a lot of good and very talented people there. I am subbing (I think that's how it's written) for a friend who is really busy gigging with a top artist. Anyway, I had played with them 8 gigs. I always play my Yamaha BB735. However, I have been playing my Yamaha BB605 in other projects I have so I took this bass to the last wedding gig (besides, my 735 needed some adjustment and I didn't have the time). It was a disaster. I don't think it was because of my bass, but since it was the only different aspect, the BL thought it was.

So, we don't use amps. We all have our own tiny monitor and everything comes out from the PA. I use my Line 6 HX Stomp and my passive Radial DI. Same preset as always. But the BL started saying that my signal was extremely weak. I thought that was strange since the 605 has more signal than my 735. But ok. I tried to push the HX. Then, he realised that there was a 20db pad activated in my channel, but he claimed that it is always on in every gig. He then set 0db and it was better. But again, the other musicians couldn't hear me in their monitors. The boss looked at me a said "please, don't bring that bass again". I just said "ok". I always take care of my equipment and I take time to prepare and set everything, so I don't think it had to do anything with the bass. What is more, I used that exact bass the night before in other project and it worked perfectly. 

After the gig, the drummer complained that he couldn't hear neither the bass nor the guitar. I think that made the boss realised that it was not my fault (he didn't say anything) but that there was something about the sound. After the gig, everyone complained about the sound and no one said anything about my bass.

Anyway, my 735 is ready again to hit the road. 

Edited by javi_bassist

I was once told that my bass was causing feedback through the PA (which I wasn't going through).  The guy on the desk was an amateur (he was actually an orthopedic surgeon not a sound engineer who had bought a very expensive PA and desk he had no idea how to operate) ) and his wife was the singer, I told him he was wrong but he insisted he was right. So to avoid making him look like an idiot in front of everyone, I didn't argue, I just turned my bass down to zero volume. He didn't even notice that there was no bass in the on stage mix at all.

I mimed through the whole gig and made a decision that he would never be let near a desk again, while I was in the band.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

47 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I feel for you. Head case MD won't admit any fault. Not much you can do in that situation except plug away and hope he gets his kaka together.

It might pay to get another simple DI pedal like a Sansamp as backup that you can sub in.

Yes, I will always bring my Markbass preamp just in case. However, we even try to go straight to my passive DI without the HX. 

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

But the BL started saying that my signal was extremely weak.

If the band leader can't compensate for a slightly weaker signal from one of the instruments then why is he in charge of the sound? You set your sound on the HX stomp, he is then responsible for the level, if it needs more, he just needs to boost it. Sounds like he isn't changing any settings between different gigs which is worrying, every room is different!

Bassists tend to get the blame a lot for their volume, I've had guitarists who have too much bottom end, keyboard players who aren't used to full band situations so add in all the lows... it's always the bassists fault though! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tim2291 said:

Bassists tend to get the blame a lot for their volume, I've had guitarists who have too much bottom end, keyboard players who aren't used to full band situations so add in all the lows... it's always the bassists fault though! 

We're an easy target. I remember getting blamed for some weird feedback at one gig, turned out to be the hearing aid loop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

The music industry/world is littered with such happenings.  :/  

Every bass player needs a DFA switch on their bass and a 'boutique' DI box (with a straight bypass through it).  :)  

I did a gig and the in-house engineer seemed to have the hump with me from the off and he was unhappy with everything I had brought and played through.  He was complaining that my cab was causing masses of bottom end boom in the room... I politely pointed out that at the time I was simply going from bass to HIS DI and my amp was still on stand by; any issues were down to him/his PA.  Oh I felt smug but I swear he didn't even put me through the PA during the gig.

Edited by warwickhunt
  • Like 2

I joined a Soul band and they took one look at my Gibson EB0 (the only "pro" bass I could afford at the time) and told me to play the Danelectro Longhorn the singer owned.

I totally agreed with them. The Danelectro was a much better bass for that gig.

6 months later I bought my Fender Precision and never again had a negative comment.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 3

I auditioned for a band several years ago & I had put in the effort on the run up & nailed everything they asked me to play. They seemed like really cool guys & I wanted to get the gig.

However, at the end of the audition after the whole band telling me they liked my playing & my personality the singist says "what kind of guitar is that"? To which I replied "oh, this is my Musicman Stingray"

He came back with, "hmmmmmmm, haven't heard of them, you'll need to play a Fender in this band"!

In my broadest black country accent I said "thanks for the jam, t'raaa a bit".

• Like 7

I don't gig so this is probably a stupid question, but here goes...

Since the sound of a band is vital - it virtually defines some bands (think JJ Burnel's bass tone in The Stranglers), and could lead to a bad word-of-mouth when it's terrible - why don't bands have their own sound engineer, someone that they can rely on to ensure the band's sound no matter where they are playing?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oakforest5961 said:

Since the sound of a band is vital - it virtually defines some bands (think JJ Burnel's bass tone in The Stranglers), and could lead to a bad word-of-mouth when it's terrible - why don't bands have their own sound engineer, someone that they can rely on to ensure the band's sound no matter where they are playing?

Because they need paid?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, oakforest5961 said:

What size band are you talking about and are you thinking original material or covers... actually as I think of it, it doesn't matter the answer is the same - Money!

Pub covers bands likely just do it themselves and it is 1 less person to take a share.  Originals bands that aren't established and a success will need to pay someone (unless they have a very good friend who has faith in them), established bands often do have their own engineer/sound person.  

2 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

More succinct than my simultaneous answer.  :)  

I hope it didn't come across as "here's a glib answer to what I perceive to be a stupid question".  Succinct is a much better word, thanks!

I'd also like to add that while sound engineering a massive show with many instruments, full drum kit miking etc. is a serious undertaking, operating a couple of powered speakers and a small (say 8 channel) mixer for a covers band isn't rocket science.  In my covers band, the drummer and I do it.  We've learned as we go and refined what we do in response to audience feedback.

Share our spoils with a knob twiddler?  No way :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I was once told by a member of the audience (!) to 'get rid of that cheap bass and get a Fender'.  That cheap bass being a Yamaha BBNE2.

Did you? I'm sure if you put an extra couple hundred quid with it you could trade it in for a used Mexican P bass

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, pete.young said:

I was once told by a member of the audience (!) to 'get rid of that cheap bass and get a Fender'.  That cheap bass being a Yamaha BBNE2.

Having been told by an audience member in the break that we were the best band that'd played the pub, after a set that had been a motorway pile up (forget car wreck) with a band I sometimes stood in with, I have learned just to say "thanks" and walk on, never believing a word  said 🤣 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1