Why become a member? ×

Their one saving grace

Barking Spiders

Some least fave bands of (y)ours have possibly come up with a single, solitary tune that you like a fair old bit, usually one that's atypical for them. So, what bands/solo acts do you normally avoid except for one or maybe 2 songs of theirs. To kick things off..

How Soon Is Now by The Smiths - I remember buying Hatful of Hollow in 1984 on the the strength of this track. Unfortunately, it became clear this is nothing like what they normally did.

Enter Sandman - never had anything to do with Metallica until I heard this and bought the black album on the strength of it. However, it's by far the best tune on it

Owner of a Lonely Heart - the clear standout track on 90125 which is the only Yes album I can listen to

Jane by Jefferson Starship is still a cracker IMO, unlike anything put out by J Airplane or Starship

Sheep by Pink Floyd - this aggressive uptempo track is pretty unusual for PF and is chocka with great guitar riffage

Gallows Pole off Led Zeppelin III - maybe I really like this because it's a trad tune and not penned by the band. Great bassline too.

Here’s mine, I’m not a great fan of opera music but this moves me 

this got me thinking about the Bollywood scene even though I don’t understand the language 

Not really bands but I don’t think there are many opera bands or Bollywood bands to be honest 🤣😂

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pigbag - Papa's got...I bought the album in the 80s on the back of this. 

Joy Division - Love will tear us apart.  Couldn't get on with any of the other stuff and I  really don't rate PH as a bassist either. Not that controversial 

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Joy Division - Love will tear us apart.  Couldn't get on with any of the other stuff and I  really don't rate PH as a bassist either. Not that controversial 

Same for me Mick, great single, the rest of their material largely passed me by.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Joy Division - Love will tear us apart.  Couldn't get on with any of the other stuff

S'funny, I never really got on with Love will Turd Us Apart - sounded to me like an attempt to get a hit together with a whiney little melody! But then I preferred the likes of Transmission and Dead Souls...

Laid by James.

My Silver Lining by First Aid Kit.

Do It Like A Dude by Jessie J.

Armageddon Waits by Lamb.

Dangerous by the Mysterines.

Itch by Nothing But Thieves.

Little Monster by Royal Blood.

Pro-Gen by Shamen.

Lazy Sunday by Small Faces.

Silver Rocket by Sonic Youth.

Fools Gold by Stone Roses.

That’s discounting one-hit wonders, new-and-undecided and artists I just haven’t heard much from.

Love everything by Joy Division atm.

15 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Gallows Pole off Led Zeppelin III

For me it's "Rock and Roll" off The One With Stairway On. Everything else I've ever heard by them just irritates various anatomical features off.

There are many bands whose career I could condense into an EP and a lot I find unlistenable in their entirety, but bands with just one decent song is a proper ask - good one!

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

For me it's "Rock and Roll" off The One With Stairway On. Everything else I've ever heard by them just irritates various anatomical features off.

There are many bands whose career I could condense into an EP and a lot I find unlistenable in their entirety, but bands with just one decent song is a proper ask - good one!

Just one or two  is indeed quite a big ask. Liking three tunes means you're almost a fan 😊. That said, the more albums a band has you may actually like several tunes while still generally disliking the band. I generally can't abide Aerosmith but half of Toys in the Attic is pretty good.  All that's good from AC/DC is summed up on 'If you want blood'. Always thought BiB is pants.

17 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Oddly, that's one of the only ones I don't like. Love all of the rest. JD are one of my fave bands of all time, but I have to agree that, technically, they were very average. But when you put them all together they make something special.

For me the saving grace song would have to be Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus. I never warmed to any of their other stuff, but that one song I still love.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Just one or two  is indeed quite a big ask. Liking three tunes means you're almost a fan 😊. That said, the more albums a band has you may actually like several tunes while still generally disliking the band. I generally can't abide Aerosmith but half of Toys in the Attic is pretty good.  All that's good from AC/DC is summed up on 'If you want blood'. Always thought BiB is pants.

Aye, broad agreement on all that, just with a different album - 'Get A Grip' for Aerosmith and 'Live At Donnington' for AC/DC. Ozzy is the same deal - I'm not really a fan, but 'Live at Budokan' is great, and it's a double-whammy (or is that wah...) because I don't like Zakk / Black Label Society at all. Except for House of Doom! Wahey.. found another band with one song I don't mind 🙂 

23 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Pigbag - Papa's got...I bought the album in the 80s on the back of this. 

Pigbag - yep loved the single, underwhelmed by the album.

Love Will Tear Us Apart - is for me the definitive and the only Joy Division track.

I never came to grips with Genesis except for ‘Dance On A Volcano / Los Endos’ on the Seconds Out album which IMHO is outstanding - and is Genesis’ saving grace.

Chris.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

More Than Words, by Extreme. 

I'm not really into Extreme, but I always thought that they must be really annoyed that this was the song that defined them, when most of the music is basically shred hair metal...😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chezz55 said:

Pigbag - yep loved the single, underwhelmed by the album.

Love Will Tear Us Apart - is for me the definitive and the only Joy Division track.

I never came to grips with Genesis except for ‘Dance On A Volcano / Los Endos’ on the Seconds Out album which IMHO is outstanding - and is Genesis’ saving grace.

Chris.

I was a happy hater of PG era Genesis and then after they separated Genesis started coming out with a few decent tunes. +1 for 'Los Endos' and also the Seconds Out version of 'I know what I like' plus two from Wind & Wuthering (Wot Gorilla and Afterglow). PG came into his own after splitting, from Genesis that is, not in a mitotic way.

“When The Levee Breaks” - Led Zeppelin 

“The Man Who Sold The World” - Nirvana from the unplugged gig

“Been Caught Stealing” - Jane’s Addiction 

“Paranoid” - Black Sabbath 

“Motorhead” - Motörhead

there’s probably loads of others, but these come to mind right now.