Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a new bass ( Passive )

Guest BassAdder27

After letting my Ray34 go I’m in the market for an additional bass 

I already have a PBass which I love the feel and sound. 
Have a Squier CV 70’s PBass too

What should I go for ( rock mostly ) 

A third PBass or a Jazz perhaps ? 
Ideally £700 circa and stock 

Edited by BassAdder27

• Guest changed the title to Recommend me a new bass ( Passive )
21 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

If you like rock then I'd go for an Epiphone Thunderbird or a Squire 51 PBass.

I tried a ETB on Sunday in GuitarGuitar and I was blown away. It has so much low end and such a lovely overall sounds and feel.

24 minutes ago, CJPJ said:

I tried a ETB on Sunday in GuitarGuitar and I was blown away. It has so much low end and such a lovely overall sounds and feel.

I had a Tokai TB years ago. Looked great, sounded great and lovely neck. But boy was that thing big and unwieldly.  If the OP is considering one, I'd recommend trying one in person before committing, and preferably on a strap.

But I second the Squire 50s P recommendation. Lovely bass to play with a different flavour of 'P'. 

If the OP is a P guy that fancies a Jazz, I'd recommend giving the G&L JB2 (Tribute) a look as well. Chunky jazz neck, jazz electronics in a smaller P bass sized body.

• Like 1

I'm still playing my G&L Tribute SB-2 more than my US Fender. Smaller body, nice Jazz width neck, powerful P bass MFD pickup. (I don't use the J pickup much). I'm still tempted to try out some others - probably the Kiloton or maybe an L2000 or JB-2. 

• Like 1

A bit over budget, but maybe a Peavey T40. You'd probably want to put some money aside for corrective shoulder surgery in the long run too.

What was it about the MM you didn't gel with? 

How about something G&L flavoured? L2000 is supposed to be pretty versatile and can also run passive or the SB2 Tribute is like a PBass on steroids.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

If you're cool enough to carry it off, get an epiphone vintage pro thunderbird. If not get a Jazz.

I'm not, so I got two Jazzes.  Might just be cool enough to pull that off, but not lift them.

6 hours ago, CJPJ said:

Really surprised by that. My second ever bass was an ETH and it was awful. Sound was pants, setup was awful, couldn’t get on with the painted neck, the neck dive meant it was like wrestling a whale even with a low strap. 

Quickly traded it for an Ashdown amp but is there a cooler bass?

• Like 1

You're not talking about another same old, same old, are you?

Dare to be different!

Reverend Thundergun.

One of the best-kept secrets in the bass world.

Passive, pure and potent!

You won't find a better bass for the money.

PicsArt_09-15-01.20.41.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 3

I agree with Bunion, the flea jazz.

Really is an outstanding instrument. Nothing like any other bass I've had. It's kinda old skool built, thin but substantial, looks great and the individual pick up tone and volume make it as flexible as you want.

Mine is my number one bass, and I was a precision guy for 20 years plus.

It's right in your budget around £700 if your lucky.

Plus it's already bashed up, so no need to execssively protect.

Edited by la bam

God, not another P bass, you've already got that covered.

Lots of good ideas in here already so here's a left of field suggestion - just to be completely different - Epiphone Jack Casady.  I don't subscribe to the notion that any particular bass should be preferred for any particular genre of music.  If you want to play rock with it, go ahead and play rock with it - I play in a rock covers band with my JC and I haven't spontaneously combusted.

• Like 1

Ok I have the answer..

I already have the bass I like / need 

My modified CV70’s bass is a joy to play with the satisfaction I’ve upgraded it and made it even better.

My Player Series bass which is equally a joy to play and sounds great is all I need. 

I think if I had a third bass I would struggle to know which one to gig !!

Thanks for some great suggestions though !