Why become a member? ×

Instrumentals

LeftyP

55 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

here's quite an obvious one everyone of a certain age seems to've missed😉

I was about seven when it came out and I think it may be the very first tune I ever liked, 

I hear this and have visions of the BBC Holiday program with Cliff Michelmore and his combover. (And the gratuitous boobs shot in the opening titles!)

….

Edited by JJTee

28 minutes ago, JJTee said:

I hear this and have visions of the BBC Holiday program with Cliff Michelmore and his combover. (And the gratuitous boobs shot in the opening titles!)

….

No gratuitous shots here, but this is the later Paul Hardcastle theme which we released on a label I was working for in the early 90s:

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

One of the best instrumentals ever made ,from 1970.

Yes, a good instrumental with the unmistakable style and sound of Russ Stableford on Bass Guitar. (Je t'aime and Everlasting Love are other Bass credits of his as well).

A bit of trivia...Zack Laurence arranged the track and played Piano on it...replacing Elton John's Piano.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

Yes, a good instrumental with the unmistakable style and sound of Russ Stableford on Bass Guitar. (Je t'aime and Everlasting Love are other Bass credits of his as well).

Sorry for being a nerd. . . but I think Dave Richmond played some of those songs.

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

Sorry for being a nerd. . . but I think Dave Richmond played some of those songs.

Yes, sorry maybe on Je t'aime.  And now you mention it, I think he popped up on TalkBass two or three years ago and said it was him.

It's defiantly Russ on the other two.

EDIT:

Mind you, I seem to remember getting the info from you about Je t'aime. I think we are all getting too old for this stat stuff.

:D

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 26/05/2022 at 07:26, ubit said:

Dance and trance music from the 90's was to a large part instrumental

...as is all ambient electronica and Warp type stuff like early Orb, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Biosphere, Plaid etc. Well that's my taste in instrumental music. At the mo' on Planet Rock they're doing 100 greatest guitar solos. Seems to me voters can't distinguish between a  guitar solo and and solo guitar instrumental, what with a fair few instrumentals being played e.g. SRV's Little Wing, Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson. No doubt there'll be some Joe Satriani higher up the chart.

7 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

The Dixie Dregs (later Dregs) aren't mentioned that often.
Here's their "Cruise Control" - originally on "Free Fall" but here in its shorter version on "Unsung Heroes".

Listen to Andy West kicking some behind on that bass!

The Dregs! What a guitar player Steve Morse is. So sad that he’s had to call it a day.

• Like 1