Why become a member? ×

Instrumentals

LeftyP

5 hours ago, lowdown said:

Mind you, I seem to remember getting the info from you about Je t'aime. I think we are all getting too old for this stat stuff.

Good memory.

My source at that time was Herbie Flowers!! Sorry about that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Good memory.

My source at that time was Herbie Flowers!! Sorry about that.

Je t'aime is one of those recordings/sessions when things seem blurred with musicians who were active on the scene back then (and quite often the case with those historic sessions...).

I've just found the three page 'TalkBass' thread where Dave Richmond pops up and explains a few things.

Serge Gainsbourg - that Je t'aime bass sound (Again) | TalkBass.com

• Like 1

Guitarist in the first French punk band, the object of Debbie Harry's desire in Denis Denis, the instrumentalist in one of the earliest synth duos, and after that, a man who seemingly did whatever he pleased, which included smoking and drinking his way to an early grave: Jacno, né Denis Quillard.

16618595556668798495352815986970-01.jpeg.53d4db04779a6945227cd062c55a6248.jpeg

This instrumental is from the late 90s, sounding a little like J.-M. Jarre, and rather more like Bill Bailey's reworking of the BBC News theme.

Aside from being a joyous banger, it's fascinatingly asymmetrical, the phrase lengths are all over the place. Generally each phrase is three bars of three slow beats, except when there's a fourth bar of four (or five) beats. The chorus has two bars of four beats, and one of six. And so on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

This instrumental is from the late 90s, sounding a little like J.-M. Jarre, and rather more like Bill Bailey's reworking of the BBC News theme.

Aside from being a joyous banger, it's fascinatingly asymmetrical, the phrase lengths are all over the place. Generally each phrase is three bars of three slow beats, except when there's a fourth bar of four (or five) beats. The chorus has two bars of four beats, and one of six. And so on.

Yeah, the song form is odd at times, but to my ears, it's a bit more structured than it possibly sounds.

The into is a pickup bar of three quavers into one bar of 6/4 - one bar of 4/4 - one bar of 6/4.

The verses are in 6/4 until the last two bars of the verses (the sus to major chord bit), those are both in 4/4, apart from when there are drum fills later on, then they become 4/4 & 6/4.

The chorus' are just seven bars of 4/4.