Why become a member? ×

\m/(>.<)\m/ ** The 14th South East Bass Bash - Sunday 23 October 2022 ** \m/(>.<)\m/

Hamster

Totally unable to sleep last night, my idiot brain just would not switch off and most of what it did was nonstop nonsense.  Mindfullness meditation, counting sheep, reading the most boring medical articles ... nothing helped and I just grew more exhausted by the minute.  I even got dressed in the middle of the night and started packing my gear i the hope that it lull me off to sleep and I would then awaken, perhaps a little unkempt, but ready to bash away

But ... I am not sure I'd have the energy to waddle to my car,  I know for certain I would not be able to drive safely!

So sadly no S'manth at today's bash :(

Hope you all have a great time! xx

• Sad 1

No @Silvia Bluejay no blog? 😳

I didn't take any pics too busy chatting and playing gear.

Highlights included @orangefriday's exhaust pole bass; @Merton's new Trace amp - the only one in the UK; @Happy Jack's lightweight not-a-Lull made by @Andyjr1515.

Ian King's talk was entertaining and informative with some sublime playing.

I made it back to that London before the downpour so had a dry load in. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

It was a Grand Day out and I hope you good folks who attended got home safely as the rains and stormy weather came down just as we left.

Thanks to all involved in organising the day @Hamster@cetera Mrs.Hamster etc and I loved Ian King's chat. What a great, solid and versatile player and it was great to get an insight into pit playing.

Thanks to all who allowed me to get my Greek mits on your wonderful gear. It was certainly something to hear @Merton new Trace Eliott head and the basses in that corner ? ACGs and thanks to @Simon Cfor letting me try the Laney 85 Octaver - it's a cracker, as well @prowla EBS Octabass (original) and sorry I didn't see you Paul to say goodbye.

Right. Off to look at Ebay and Reverb to look for an EBS Octabass..anyone?

All the best

Cos

Edited by Kebabkid
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cracking day - thank you @Hamster and @ceteraand all others involved in making it happen.

@Kingbassist’s talk was superb. A lovely guy, fantastic player and some really useful tips and interesting stories. Looking forward to his bass course as it sounds like a really interesting approach which I think will work really well for me.

My friend’s son absolutely loved it, though I think I’ve now caused an issue with his desire for expensive toys 😂

Here are some pics, apologies I’m not tagging everyone as I’ve already forgotten everyone’s names 🤦🏼‍♂️

9111BD71-8DA1-4584-9663-B830EB414102.thumb.jpeg.d8160baa973da87caa78bd415aa83931.jpeg

2F3CAB65-AAB6-4D76-B006-E98D03F40564.thumb.jpeg.3a46704260c1ca59591cb152ed93327c.jpeg

AB2FFABC-9E2E-4D26-A4F1-16B56A79B7CF.thumb.jpeg.f279a916695c2e58be82fb57983c0681.jpeg

0FE92558-F179-4E99-AC93-FBE419905823.thumb.jpeg.912f197590082e40d265194f690e5643.jpeg

C6FC7592-BF95-4AB7-838D-D51CA2054CD8.thumb.jpeg.ed080ba8a94b1f6986c9fe0ca9b98929.jpeg

639A08B5-83F1-4864-968A-350E97210556.thumb.jpeg.474e50121d1a2d6b207656f424ae8aa7.jpeg

0CBD0E95-7C23-4394-B8EA-C44BE101B5A8.thumb.jpeg.a024f80d848174aaedfeebf9103893ae.jpeg

647710A1-D98C-4A29-8D0F-CD680FDC3042.thumb.jpeg.feb6be596618278ce2ae494de666d0a5.jpeg

2BDEB71F-CFEF-47C9-BE31-78B0AF4F2FE8.thumb.jpeg.25f8187bd3b7472564fbc4ea9b2be40b.jpeg

9D32E1A8-1090-48B3-ABCF-AEA51AD1D846.thumb.jpeg.faa8dfbb86cc0538b1eb672ca7557acd.jpeg

60BAAFA3-2506-42D4-9335-ADBD7B6E5B48.thumb.jpeg.cd8815cb811cd5d53d582360b2d559ce.jpeg

Edited by Merton
Apostrophes innit
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Kingbassist said:

Thanks for having me today, I really enjoyed meeting everyone and checking out all the gear! Glad to hear my ramblings made some sense 🤣

I’m off to check out some Barefaced cabs online! 👍🏻

You’re very welcome to take mine for a spin if you want, I’m only down the road near Gatwick :)

• Like 1

What a fab day today - so great to see good Basschat friends again after all this time , and to make some new ones too... 😊

Big thanks to @Kingbassistfor his fantastic talk - it was such a great insight into the world of the professional West End bass player! Thank you Ian... 👏👏👍

And a big thanks also to @Hamsterand Sarah, aka Mrs Hamster, for sorting out the venue and for looking after us so well today.. The coffee & pastries were perfect! 🙏

And lastly, thanks to everyone who let me have a go on their amp, bass, fx pedal etc ... I had a lot of fun. 😁

Too much nice gear to single out to be honest, but got to say that @Merton's new Trace amp, @WalMan's SkarBassOne pedal, @Captain Rumble's Vanderkleys and @Happy Jack's new build by @Andyjr1515we're all GAS inducing!

Photos and videos to follow soon... 

• Like 4

Great day for a mix'n'match meet up once the clouds parted. It's always interesting to see all the kit variations that work for each of us and get some ideas for what to try next. A good insight into another world from Ian King along with some enjoyable demos. 

Thanks to all those who did the work behind the scenes and here's a few pics for the peeps that didn't make it today.

IMG_20221023_123419.jpg

IMG_20221023_125034.jpg

IMG_20221023_113653.jpg

IMG_20221023_121031.jpg

IMG_20221023_121044.jpg

IMG_20221023_121122.jpg

IMG_20221023_122417.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The journeys, both ways, were simply dreadful...

...but the Bash was sublime.  :)

Some great basses, great playing, great bunch of folks, great venue and organisation and great talk and ultra precise playing by @Kingbassist.  Perfect day and well worth the pain of getting there and back :)

Thanks, folks!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, prowla said:

Cheers all - that was a fun day!

I blinked and missed most people's kit, but I might've made a couple of Rickenbacker converts, so not a bad result...

I might be one of the converts.  I always thought Rickenbackers were a bit strange.  Having played yours today I’m now not so sure about their strangeness.  And there is a place on the wall now that my son has moved out and taken a sixer with him……

I enjoyed the day.  It was good to meet you all.  Ian King was really interesting. Thanks to all involved with organising and running the bash.

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Simon C said:

I might be one of the converts.  I always thought Rickenbackers were a bit strange.  Having played yours today I’m now not so sure about their strangeness.  And there is a place on the wall now that my son has moved out and taken a sixer with him……

I enjoyed the day.  It was good to meet you all.  Ian King was really interesting. Thanks to all involved with organising and running the bash.

Fab!

There have been variations in Rics over the years; you always want to try before you buy.

🙂

• Like 1

A really good event, of course. Well done to everyone (who braved the rain) and @Hamster and everyone who helped.

I had to drag @rumblefish away as I was gigging in the evening. Some fascinating stuff for sure. Good to see a worthwhile use for the stuff that boy racers hang off the bottom of their cars!!

• Like 6

Thanks to everyone who came, displayed, played, chatted, laughed and made for a fantastic day. It makes all the organisation of these events so much more worthwhile....

Big thanks to Colin @Hamster and Sarah (Mrs Hamster) for securing the venue and keeping us caked & coffee-d and to@Kingbassist for taking the time out of his busy schedule to give a fascinating and entertaining talk and demonstrate some awesome playing. Hope to see you again at future events Ian!

Gear of the day for me was the new Trace Elliot head (huge heft and punch!) and the Trondheim Audio SkarBassOne pedal (juicy tones!). Both are new to market so keep an eye/ear out for them!

Same time next year (preferably without the torrential rain storms)?!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Many thanks to those folks who have posted pics and video so far. Only thing is, I'm feeling even more gutted that I couldn't make it to the bash. (No car - see my earlier post).
Some excellent gear as usual and as someone who is still using old school Trace Elliot, I think @Merton's new TE head is something I will be checking out - once I get my eyes back in their sockets!
Roll on next year! :)
@Hamster & @ped, I did send you a PM t'other day but not sure if you may have spotted it yet. I appreciate you've been busy ;) ). 

58 minutes ago, Stingray5 said:

Many thanks to those folks who have posted pics and video so far. Only thing is, I'm feeling even more gutted that I couldn't make it to the bash. (No car - see my earlier post).
Some excellent gear as usual and as someone who is still using old school Trace Elliot, I think @Merton's new TE head is something I will be checking out - once I get my eyes back in their sockets!
Roll on next year! :)
@Hamster & @ped, I did send you a PM t'other day but not sure if you may have spotted it yet. I appreciate you've been busy ;) ). 

Hi mate I’m afraid I can take no credit for organising this bash so best for Colin to come back to you on that one. It looks like another great event. Unfortunately I was way up in Aberdeen at the time!