Why become a member? ×

Bass for my 12 year old daughter

Scoobs

Sorry if this has been done before, I did try the search and I have googled it, but nothing very helpful appeared. My daughter is keen on the bass and wants to learn properly so apart from getting some lessons from someone who knows what they are doing (ie not me!) I think she probably needs a bass. The only one we have in the house is (still) my Farida Jazz as I haven't replaced it yet. I think it is too big and way too heavy for her so I am looking for something else that will be comfortable for her to play and progress on but not too pricey in case the enthusiasm runs out sooner rather than later (unless it is something I want obviously :)). What would the bass chat hive mind recommend? A short scale bass? Squier Jaguar is it? Or does anyone make playable kids basses? What sort of budget would be realistic? I don't want something so cheap it is unplayable and puts her off. Thanks for any advice.

Thanks folks, looks like there are more options than I thought. I think scale length is probably the most important thing, I'll go and do some more internet digging. Just checking, everything above looks to be passive from the knobs (or lack of) to my amateur eye, I think we could do without batteries to worry about....

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... (regarding capos)

Beg, borrow or steal a capo. Get your lightest, best balanced bass. Give it to your daughter and see where she can reach. Place capo there and de-tune it such that its tuned EADG ("open" strings with the capo on)

At least she can get a feel for the instrument that way. 

Definitely not a permanent solution,  and it'll throw out any attempts at learning some theory aspects as the dots won't be in the right places etc.

Might give you an insight into a comfortable scale length for her, too.

I thought the Squier mini precision looked quite good too, but I think she might want something with 2 pickups. I expect the CV mustang is pretty nice, looks a level up price wise from the others though and more expensive than mine which I might struggle with!

Daughter isn't small for a twelve year old, but her hands look small when she plays the Farida,and it just looks too big and cumbersome. I'm fairly sure it's heavy (I've not played many other basses in the 21st century but it's heavier than a MIM precision I have played)

If my experience (with my own daughter) is anything to go by, the most important factor is how enthusiastic she is about actually picking up the bass and playing it.

Ideally you need a bass that SHE thinks looks cool and sounds great, and that SHE feels comfortable playing. 

And seeing as there's at least a 50/50 chance that she'll lose interest after a while, you need a bass that won't lose too much value over a few months, so deffo buy pre-owned. 🙄

• Like 4

I'm not convinced by the hofner either, and happy Jack I agree with you, it's like most things, if you like the way it looks/sounds you'll play/use/ride it more. Preowned would be good, one I like if she does go off it would be ideal. :) 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Scale length is probably going to be the deciding factor, my daughter is a tall 11yr old and 30" is ok for her. An Ibanez TMB30 might be a good shout, they do some nice colours too.

Really good choice ^^^ I had one and sounded fantastic for the money. For around £100 second hand they are a bargain.

• Like 1