Why become a member? ×

Fender Meteora bass

NoirBass

48 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

predict an even shorter lifespan than the dimension bass.

Regardless of whether it is any good or not I fully agree with you. It won't last, they'll be cheap on eBay for the next ten years then they'll suddenly become semi collectible and sell for about the same as they cost new right now. Forum searches in ten years time will find this and hail me as the David Dickinson of basses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

No doubt it won't last long, but I don't buy a bass, based on whether other people like it or how successful it is. I dig it, massively.

The only let down for me, is the pickup covers. They look cheap as anything. Would have been better off with a smoother look - maybe not having exposed polepieces. They just look like two Jazz Bass pickups, stuck together with Pritt Stick or chewing gum, which knowing Fender, is probably not too far off. 

Edited by 40hz
  • Haha 2

I'm not against the body shape - kinda reminds me of a Talman - but the neck just looks like an afterthought to me. I reckon with an ebony board and matched headstock, that sunrise burst one would look just daft enough to get my vote. If they're as unpopular as people predict, I'll have one for cheap next Black Friday and find it a better neck.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 40hz said:

No doubt it won't last long, but I don't buy a bass, based on whether other people like it or how successful it is. I dig it, massively

Agree 100% I think it looks fantastic and I love the double jazz pup. I've just bought a bass this week but if this was available to me it would have been a contender. They just don't do them for left handers, typical Fender. 

• Like 1

Yes, there's been a lot of debate on the other thread... general consensus is that the stock one looks lazy and that almost anything else would be better. The Starcaster h'stock seems to be popular, but the Tele one works quite well too. Even the old 80s pointy Performer one would be better.

2 hours ago, Musicman20 said:

Should have been 3 single coils! 

Didn't help this one.

Of course, the fact that Fender decided to name it after a mobile scooter for senior citizens didn't help...neither did being available in only one finish.

th.jpeg-414.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

Didn't help this one.

Of course, the fact that Fender decided to name it after a mobile scooter for senior citizens didn't help...neither did being available in only one finish.

th.jpeg-414.jpg

Fender stopped making those Rascals just before the current short scale craze started really kicking off.

If they started making them again now I suspect there would be a lot more interest.

• Like 1

I really do think Fender are damned of they do and damned if they don't.

They are in many ways cursed by having the 2 if not 3 most popular (and well used) bass designs ever! P,J, T.

Like many of us on here, I spend most of my time playing a P bass and when I'm not I'm sort of wishing I was.

I say good on them for at least trying to offer something slightly different.

• Like 3

Far more wrong than right - the body & scratchplate are great designs, but that's where it ends. Aesthetically the bog-standard Fender headstock looks wrong & is lazy, imo a Tele shape would work better, and certainly not that wonky 80s Ibanez-looking thing above. No issues with the pickups, but they need single-coil & passive switching. For me, I'd like a bound maple/pearl blocks (pearl dots at a pinch) neck & a pearl scratchplate.

Also a Squier logo & £399 price tag would make the biggest difference.

• Like 1

Not my thing at all.  I know that in the past I've bemoaned the lack of innovation, new design/shapes etc, but this is an absolute munter.  

It is possible to do something new, I mean Musicman have a handful of love 'em/hate 'em shapes, but the Bongo and St. Vincent are wonderful things.  Fender do it and it looks like an animator from Hanna Barbera designed it.

• Haha 2