Why become a member? ×

Fender Meteora bass

NoirBass

On 18/03/2022 at 13:50, NancyJohnson said:

Not my thing at all.  I know that in the past I've bemoaned the lack of innovation, new design/shapes etc, but this is an absolute munter.  

It is possible to do something new, I mean Musicman have a handful of love 'em/hate 'em shapes, but the Bongo and St. Vincent are wonderful things.  Fender do it and it looks like an animator from Hanna Barbera designed it.

I'd quite happily throw my money at a St Vincent bass. It's one of the coolest designs out there and I wish they followed through on that rumour of a bass model going into production.

The Albert Lee and Mariposa are great designs too.

• 1 month later...
On 17/03/2022 at 10:50, uk_lefty said:

Agree 100% I think it looks fantastic and I love the double jazz pup. I've just bought a bass this week but if this was available to me it would have been a contender. They just don't do them for left handers, typical Fender. 

It ‘might’ look a ‘bit’ better if it was restrung for a leftie and turned upside down......  

I’ll stick with Ps and Js....

1 hour ago, MungoBass said:

It ‘might’ look a ‘bit’ better if it was restrung for a leftie and turned upside down......  

I’ll stick with Ps and Js....

True, but there'd be knobs in all the wrong places... 

19 hours ago, ahpook said:

I like it, but not any of the finishes.

It needs to look like a spaceship !

Sorry - more like a spaceship :)

Totally.  An asymmetrical large 2+2 matching headstock that mirrors the curves of the body would have been MUCH better (and a B width neck works better for me 😉).

It looks like a spaceship but not a retro spaceship so the 50s Fender headstock just doesn't work at all. In fact it could never work on anything other than a P, J or trad shortie as the look of those basses are so ingrained within the minds of generations of musicians, that it can only look wrong on anything else. The Dimensions were great and look what happened!

Fender could easily move away from that trademark headstock on certain models. Their name is established (understatement of the century 😄) and if the bass is good it will sell itself. 

Be braver Fender!

Edit: and stop it with the bloody ice lolly colours please. 

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 1

On 16/03/2022 at 17:28, 40hz said:

I think I might seemingly be the only person who absolutely loves this bass! Sounds pretty sweet in the demos too. Nate Navarro put one up yesterday.

Not at all! I think it looks fantastic. I won't ever pay that much for a bass, but the shape and colours are great

On 18/03/2022 at 02:03, NoirBass said:

I really do think Fender are damned of they do and damned if they don't.

I agree and I don't think it will last long. So buy one on run out, put it in the closet and reap the huge rewards in 10y when people start wishing they were available again. I mean, look what happened to T40 prices, right?

• 2 months later...
On 19/03/2022 at 22:26, jd56hawk said:

No tone control in passive mode?

Seriously?

20210816_110344.jpg

My Sadowsky mij metro Jazz doesn't either .I never use active its just got a pure immense tone from the  single volume pot. The pick up mix pot is very responsive for tone changes but generally its just a pure tone to tweak away from the bass 

• Like 1