Why become a member? ×

Rock Till We Drop - BBC 2

Nail Soup

Just now, thebrig said:

I don't know if he was told to act unprepared, but I would still have the hump with him, and if he was told to behave like that in front of the camera's, then he should have refused to do it, after all, he's a pro musician and has his reputation to think of.

The 'contestants' probably have to sign a disconnect or agreement about doing what they're told.

2 hours ago, thebrig said:

I don't know if he was told to act unprepared, but I would still have the hump with him, and if he was told to behave like that in front of the camera's, then he should have refused to do it, after all, he's a pro musician and has his reputation to think of.

Seriously,  refuse to do what he's told by producers of a national TV  on a prime slot that he wanted to be on  ?  Thats what you would have done is it ?  Anyone with an IQ can see through this obvious show ploy.

His reputation was established decades ago when he was the Atlantic  Records recording guitarist for Jimmy Castor, when Leburn was only 20

Since then he's been on billings with this lot...

John Lee Hooker, Albert Colins, Jeff Healy, Chaka Khan, Patti LaBelle, Kool & the Gang, Bill Withers, Joss Stone, Javier Vargas and others.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 2

It’s not a documentary, he would have been directed, I would image. 
I find it hard to believe he would have found any of the songs difficult either. 

I found it laughable the way the MD was thanking him for practicing and getting the parts right. 

Anyhoo it’s just silly TV, not worth getting het up about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

John Lee Hooker, Albert Colins, Jeff Healy, Chaka Khan, Patti LaBelle, Kool & the Gang, Bill Withers, Joss Stone, Javier Vargas and others.

In the last episode, they will perhaps unmask him.  "You thought that he was a useless duffer.  In fact, you have him in your record collection . . . "

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

Aha! I don't see Robbie Williams in that list 😉.........

• Haha 3

On 17/03/2022 at 19:56, RodTruss said:

Did anyone else notice how the age limit was 64, which seems a really stranger number to pick; then - who would have guessed - two of those picked, Leburn and Carmen, are both 64.

Ooh, that’s very cynical! Welcome to Basschat😃!

On 17/03/2022 at 19:56, RodTruss said:

Did anyone else notice how the age limit was 64, which seems a really stranger number to pick; then - who would have guessed - two of those picked, Leburn and Carmen, are both 64.

It's more than likely a nod to the lyrics 'Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four' by popular Merseybeat combo the Beatles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I haven't watched the programs, but the drummer has just posted a photo of an Isle of Wight gig on Facebook. . . and I know him and have played with him.

I haven't seen him for a few years but Barry is a great drummer.

That drummer was drafted in via the musical director…. Not the audition process. 

41 minutes ago, WAYNESWORLD said:

The smiles on there faces was worth the tv crap that goes with it .  I’m not going to begrudge a couple of songs worth of time for a few people to achieve a life long ambition. Life is just to short.

Exactly my thoughts. Obviously there had to be the "forced" drama to make it tv friendly, but it was great to see how happy it made them.

Both bands were well below festival standard IMHO. I know it's just for show, but the two songs performed by each band sounded like second rehearsal renditions to my ears.

I'm pleased that they had the opportunity to perform in front of such a large crowd, but to delude themselves into thinking it was a quality performance whatever their age, was wrong.

• Like 2

It’s been a loooooong time since I last played a large festival, so I’m not experienced like a lot of you guys here. But from watching last night, it appears that, as long as you have a front person that can engage the crowd right from the start, you’ll do ok. 
Big difference with the 2 front people last night. One gave the band and crowd confidence, the other not so much.
It was nice they got to play, although the whole “your dreams can come true” was a bit overplayed. 
I’ve not seen Leburn busk in town, but I’d happily go see him play locally as I think he’s got great feel and tone. He’ll probably get a lot more higher profile gigs now though. So unlikely to play down the road at the Kebab and Calculator anymore 😢

• Like 1