Why become a member? ×

I have no idea what I like

kwmlondon

I know this is going to sound daft, but I really don’t know what I like in a bass. Precision? Love ‘em. Jazz? Great. Stingray? Lovely. Ricky? Gorgeous! Tight spacing? Fine. Wide? Cool. 20 frets? Go for it. 24? Whatever. Single coils? Great. OR humbucker. 

literally…. I pick it up and it’s either: yeah baby yeah!!!! Or meh….Nop. I can’t explain why. 

I do like a satin finish on the neck tho. 

• Like 5

It’s a good question, in my experience  the only way you find out what you like is to buy them , play them for a while, and see if they work for you,   I’ve gassed over many and some  expensive and they were just meh, it’s a good learning curve,  it’s fender precision’s and jazzes for me now 🙂

• Like 1

A 7 string bass will give me more freedom, but a 4 string will give me more focus, ah, frets, ideal for chordal work but a fretless is more expressive, ooh that's a nice acoustic bass guitar arch top, but a double bass might do it better especially if I get an expensive bow and learn how to use it... ooh, what's that shiny thing over there, a new pedal I haven't tried out, hmm I think I need a new boutique bass to play through it, ah but I could get that cheap Squier and spend hours agonising over custom replacement pickups........

= my average week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bunion said:

And that’s why we have a “modest” collection of basses to cater for every whim and situation… 

Give me a collection of modest but decent basses over a couple of amazing ones all day long. My mood changes daily. One night I'm into flats, the next the brighter zing of active, the next passive honk.... etc. I want access to a choice of sounds and feels to cater for my mood that night. I definitely don't have a clue what my ideal bass is, not a clue.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Give me a collection of modest but decent basses over a couple of amazing ones all day long. My mood changes daily. One night I'm into flats, the next the brighter zing of active, the next passive honk.... etc. I want access to a choice of sounds and feels to cater for my mood that night. I definitely don't have a clue what my ideal bass is, not a clue.

I completely understand, but it's also why I'd hate to have a custom instrument built. I'd imagine the conversation would go like

Luthier: So what wood do you want?

Me: Um, nice wood please

Luthier: riiiiigh. Pickups?

Me: I think so, yes

Luthier: (sigh) neck profile?

Me: Yes, definitely a profile.

Luthier: (puts down piece of paper) how about this one here I've already made?

Me: Perfect!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've fantasised about a Bass-Swap-Shop where I can pay a monthly fee and they'll send me a different bass each month, taking away the old one! Mind you, Basschat can kind of be like that... I had a lovely Ibanez SR505 for a while that I bought on here and sold for a bit less than I paid for it. Great way to find out if I like 5 strings (yes, yes I do, very much).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm exactly the same. Although my response is the total opposite of many of the comments so far. I just can't see the point in having multiple basses. At least, not at my level of playing. I get it if you're a professional musician playing with several bands or recording and you need a certain sound for a certain occasion. But for a weekend warrior band it all just seems a bit silly to me. I found a bass I like, I play that one. I actually do own three, but one is a cheap semi acoustic I bought decades ago which is pretty much just wall art, then I own a 4 and a 6 string. I exclusively play the sixer, the 4 string is just gathering dust. I only keep it in case I ever want to revert. Despite endless discussions of gear and the every elusive "tone", which is nothing but subjective anyway, in a live band mix a bass just sounds like a bass and 99.9 percent of people wouldn't know, or even care about the difference. May as well just find one you like playing and stick with it as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 6

I know exactly what I like, Jazzes and Stingrays and good quality copies thereof. Most of this comes down to styles I play and fave players associated with them eg Marcus Miller and Louis Johnson.  Conversely I'd never get a Ricky. Sure they look cool and distinctive but I forever associate them with some of my least fave bands.

• Like 1

You'll figure it out eventually. You've already pinpointed a preference for satin neck finishes. Once you build up a few more positive preferences you'll start to focus in on basses which satisfy those criteria over others.

It doesn't have to evolve into an outright dislike/hatred of certain basses either - a few simple preferences will steer you towards what you like over others.

• Like 1

It's alright liking lots of things. Basses are great. I like all kinds of different basses so I've started working on things I don't like and things I really, really like.

Really, Really Like:

38-40mm nut width

Forearm Contours

4 Strings

Don't Like:

41mm and bigger nut widths

No forearm contours

5 strings and greater

By compiling these lists, I feel I've really cut out a lot of potential sources of GAS. Everything else is fair game. Sweet.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You'll figure it out eventually. You've already pinpointed a preference for satin neck finishes. Once you build up a few more positive preferences you'll start to focus in on basses which satisfy those criteria over others.

It doesn't have to evolve into an outright dislike/hatred of certain basses either - a few simple preferences will steer you towards what you like over others.

Yep. I've been playing bass since 1990 so if I haven't worked it out by now ... anyway. I'd rather change my technique and style to a bass I like. Does me good.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kwmlondon said:

Yep. I've been playing bass since 1990 so if I haven't worked it out by now ... anyway. I'd rather change my technique and style to a bass I like. Does me good.

You've done well to stay so open minded.  Me, I hate Jazz basses, skinny necks, bridge pickups...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You've done well to stay so open minded.  Me, I hate Jazz basses, skinny necks, bridge pickups...

I think some of it's down to having terrible technique when I was younger then having an accident and pretty much had to re-learn to play. Since then I've become quite obsessed with learning and as I've gone from one bass to another rather than made it more difficult, it's just made me approach it differently. I love playing with a pick, and fingers. I like rounds and flats. I'm even getting used to a higher action, which is something I never used to be able to do. I've got a preamp that has amazing distortion and now I'm enjoying going down that route too. I kind of have to impose discipline on myself to focus on one thing rather than getting distracted! Been plugging away at Rocco muting recently...

Edited by kwmlondon
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Which one would you choose to be stranded on a desert island with?

A Jazz bass would do for me.

That's a good way to regard it, I think.  My desert island bass would be a Precision.  Doesn't stop me enjoying (and hankering after) a whole lot more, though.

6 minutes ago, Paul S said:

That's a good way to regard it, I think.  My desert island bass would be a Precision.  Doesn't stop me enjoying (and hankering after) a whole lot more, though.

My Dingwall Combustion. Never played an instrument like it. Mind-blowing. I get so excited when I play other basses but the Dingwall is teaching me a lot at the moment.

I used to think that I didn’t like 38mm nut width and, based on experience up to a certain point time, I was right.  Then I tried a Japanese Sadowsky 4 string some years ago and I didn’t hate it. However, I assumed it was either a one off or my raging Sadowsky GAS at that time and continued with my skinny necked dislike. Fast forward to last week when I took delivery of a Sterling Stingray short scale. I really liked the online tone I was hearing, but they only come with 38mm nut widths - harrumph! Remembering that I find MM all maple necks chunkier than their rosewood (or rosewood substitute) counterparts, I ordered one thinking that I could always return it when I hated the nut width. Well, this one feels just right for this bass. Whilst not a total skinny nut width convert or zealot, I now think that not all nut widths (wide or narrow) are created equal and putting hand to wood is the best way forward. I also prefer passive basses, but I’m very happy to put a preamp pedal in the loop (Sadowsky or a VTDI. The Sadowsky was how I managed to avoid buying an entire bass, it’s a great circuit). Maybe I don’t know what I like either?

• Like 1

I'm also unsure exactly what I like. I just have to try it and see what I like. There's no obvious connection between the basses I like. 

I had a Fender Jazz and hated it but I've played very similar basses and loved them. 

Maybe it's just a spiritual connection with the trees the instrument is made from but I don't believe I any of that old toss.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm also unsure exactly what I like. I just have to try it and see what I like. There's no obvious connection between the basses I like. 

I had a Fender Jazz and hated it but I've played very similar basses and loved them. 

Maybe it's just a spiritual connection with the trees the instrument is made from but I don't believe I any of that old toss.

It's not often I've tried instruments back-to-back in a store, but some do jump out and for the life of me I could not explain why. I do know that there I've tried mates' basses and I've been blown away - my parents' neighbour has a beat-up old Ibanez Roadstar that is possibly the nicest bass I've ever played. Looks like it's been used as a weapon in a riot. What I do know is I can't quantify it, as in so-and-so string spacing, construction, pickups etc. One thing I do believe is that the more played an instrument is, the more worn it is the better it probably is. Not through "mojo" but simply if someone has spent all that time playing the thing it must be good! If I ever see a vintage instrument in as-new condition I think "can't be that nice to play then."

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm exactly the same. Although my response is the total opposite of many of the comments so far. I just can't see the point in having multiple basses. At least, not at my level of playing. I get it if you're a professional musician playing with several bands or recording and you need a certain sound for a certain occasion. But for a weekend warrior band it all just seems a bit silly to me. I found a bass I like, I play that one. I actually do own three, but one is a cheap semi acoustic I bought decades ago which is pretty much just wall art, then I own a 4 and a 6 string. I exclusively play the sixer, the 4 string is just gathering dust. I only keep it in case I ever want to revert. Despite endless discussions of gear and the every elusive "tone", which is nothing but subjective anyway, in a live band mix a bass just sounds like a bass and 99.9 percent of people wouldn't know, or even care about the difference. May as well just find one you like playing and stick with it as far as I'm concerned. 

I actually like the idea of one bass, you really know and love…. unfortunately my ADD makes that impossible. I change my mind SO often, even in one day, it’s ridiculous. I’ve probably changed my mind in the time it took to type this…. in fact I think the one bass idea is stupid….. no I don’t….. etc

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I own multiple basses (4) and deciding which one to play is in the same category of deciding which shirt to wear.  Basses be bassy and they're all ones I like to play, having distilled my dislikes down into a concrete idea of what a bass should be to me.  It's got nothing to do with "level" - I don't have to justify to anyone how I spend my disposable income, it's not a competition and I don't have to be a bass god to "deserve" to own multiple basses.  They make me happy, and that's all that matters to me.

Love, your friendly neighbourhood silly multiple bass owning weekend warrior ;)

• Like 3

I'm monogomous with my Basses but the marriges don't last long!

My Bass selection is mostly down to ergonomics as technique, setup, strings, pedals, amps & cabs can do a lot for tone but can't do anything to solve a Bass that's difficult or uncomfortable to play.

I'm not fussed about looks but I know others are - so that makes me fussed! e.g. I like the idea of the Ibanez fanned fret headless Basses (given that one of their selling points is their ergonomics) and the looks are fine with me but one thing that's putting me off is if I do something like audition for a classic 60s/70s  Reggae/Ska band (which is the sort of stuff I'm into) it could negatively affect my chances if they feel the Bass doesn't fit the look.

• Like 1