Why become a member? ×

I have no idea what I like

kwmlondon

4 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I can safely say I get along with many types of basses too. However, there have been a few oddities in my collection that weren't for me:

- Narrow string spacing at the bridge is fine on a 5-string, but somehow I hated it on 4-strings (Hohner B2A, Aria SB-1000);

- Flat radius. I like a curved fingerboard or a compound radius;

- Narrow bodies. I like something to rest my wrist or lower arm on (again, Hohner B2A was NOT for me);

- Short (or absent) upper horns that place the upper strap button too close, and thereby move the nut too far away;

- 35" scale length. I owned two Yamaha TRB5II's, and they were fantastic. But despite having large hands, I didn't like the stretch in the first few positions.

Otherwise I guess most is fine with my. Gloss necks, satin necks, oiled necks, narrow nuts, wide nuts, longscale, shortscale, I really don't mind. 

Edit: Forgot to add I generally don't get along well with basses with only one pickup when it's moved too far from the neck! I'm not a big fan of the MM sound but it has its use, but closer to the bridge is a nono for me if there's no neck pickup to beefen it up. 

Personally, I get on really well with a 'Ray. Maybe just mine (an '88 with 2EQ) but I've always found it records really nicely and never had any complaints from people doing the sound... though it does ALWAYS sound like a Stingray, just one that plays nice with the mix. I've found precision players really like it, maybe the feel? Putting LaBella flats on it has given it a proper Bernard Edwards slant though.