Why become a member? ×

Do you set-up your own bass?

Supernaut

I leave frets or skimming to someone else but I've set-up for years with the rest. One of the first things I look at if I'm interested in a bass is to see how much travel is left in the bridge compared to the action I'd like. Especially on fretless, mass producers don't drop the neck pocket by 1.2mm to accommodate the lack of fret height from my experience. So that has to be accounted for too. Anything that's close to bottoming out and still needs lowering, I'll look for another one.

I did do a setup course with Jon Shuker, fret levelling and everything, it was great and I learned a lot. But I'd still rather take my basses to him for any servicing works, partly for peace of mind because he's very good but mainly because he's got a lovely dog.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Yep, I do it. I see it as a fundamental part of being a player. If you don't understand the basic nature of how your instrument works, well... that's not very good at all.

Impressive. I guess you are capable of designing and building all your own amps and loudspeakers?

Yes I do, at least normal day-to-day setup (saddles adjustments, truss rod, neck shimming, etc). I've set up my own guitars and basses for 3-4 years now, but I was never sure I did it properly.

Last october I handed my main bass off to a professional tech and told him to set it up for me, expecting to really feel a difference now that a "proper" tech got his hands on it.

£110 later, I got it back. It felt nice and all, but there was nothing notable about it, and it didn't really feel any different. So as a result, I trust my own abilities a lot more now, and I know that my setups are good enough, at least for me and my hands.

I'm not brave enough to file the nut on my own (yet), and I don't have the tools or know-how to do fretwork. Maybe some day though.

Edited by Naigewron

I used to pay for all my basses to be set up and the main requirement I asked for was for the action to be as low as possible, very few came back lower than 2.5 - 3mm  , and I ended up doing it myself ,so I now do all my own setup’s with the exception of fretwork or work on the nut, which I’ve never had to do 

• Like 1

I learned to do all of mine out of necessity, not having a pot to p*ss in as a teenager. it was really good fun learning what to do (and not!). The thing that strikes me, aside from fretwork and electronics, is just how easy it is, really. Get a good tuner to intonate and you're golden!

I'm the guy who measures out things twice, drills hole in the wall and STILL things don't line up. So I've only recently started to do neck adjustments myself. I'm happy doing intonation. But overall string height, neck relief and so on I just don't have the confidence or patience with.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Yep, I do it. I see it as a fundamental part of being a player. If you don't understand the basic nature of how your instrument works, well... that's not very good at all.

I think for many it’s simply a confidence thing, not necessarily not knowing how to do it. 

• Like 3

I have two Vigiers (no truss rod) and two Sadowskys (truss rod wheel), so set ups on those are really easy. 

Work requiring actual tools like slotting a nut, soldering, electrical work is all via a tech. Also I will use a tech to set up the truss rods on my 70s P bass and Gibson EB3. 

Even after a 'pro' set up though, I will generally adjust the action to my personal taste (not super low but usually lower than what I get).

Yep - I'm happy to do the basic stuff. I've replaced a fret or two, swapped pickups and a few other more "serious" bits and pieces, too. My basses are far from "boutique," so I'm happy to wade in, knowing I'm not going to slash thousands off the kids' inheritance if I put a dink or a scratch on one of them.

I think it's more to do with having the confidence to do it, than having the skill.

Edited by rushbo