Why become a member? ×

Cheaper Basses I've missed out on...

Bridgehouse

6 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

What the heck is that, and why isn’t it available over here? That’s got a proper Ampeg vibe going on and looks great.

There's a 5 string model up for grabs about 40 minutes from me.

Seller wants £350 but they've made a bloody awful job of tugging the frets and a hamfisted effort at taking the gloss off the neck.

If you're interested I'd quite happily do the middle man stuff and make an insultingly low offer to reflect the butchery 😀

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

@Al Krow Actually, one thing I’ve not got is a choice of fretted and fretless which play well and sound good that I wouldn’t mind leaning against a window ledge down the dog and duck. 

I can’t see myself taking the Shuker for such a gig - recording and jams, yeah, but get within 5 metres of joe public? Nope. 

Not quite the same for the CS Jazz, but I’d prefer not to have to watch out for 4 grands worth of Jazz in a tent in a muddy field. 

So perhaps the giggable and not worry angle is one factor. Specially for fretless. 

I used to not want to take my nice basses to certain gigs, but it got to a point where I just wasn't enjoying playing the less expensive gear as much.  So now, I've been using my good stuff for everything and been slowly selling off the more midrange stuff. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

@Al Krow

...So perhaps the giggable and not worry angle is one factor. Specially for fretless. 

In which case, you could do far worse than checking out an Ibanez SRF700 Portamento. Should be able to pick one up used for sub £500. Lovely, lightweight, very playable bass. 

• Thanks 1

I once had an Ibanez SR500, which I paid around £200 for, second-hand.
It was a really well built bass, if you like slim necks. Superb pickups and electronics in it too, with Mk1 Bartolini pups. Albeit, the bass had a distinctly "modern" sound, if you like that sort of thing. I sold that bass for pretty much what I'd paid for it, and there were times when I'd wished I'd kept it (Done that many times lol)

So a while back, I was looking for a 5 string bass, and had a couple of stipulations: I wanted it to be as lightweight as I could get (for around a £500 budget), and I wanted a slim(ish) neck, but not so slim for the string spacing to be too tight for the plucking hand - so I needed a slim neck, with a degree of tapering, to be able to get my fat fingers between strings....

Anyhow, I picked up the SR505 and it felt a lot like my old SR500. I instantly felt I could get used to it (I don't play 5'ers much - I just "noodle" at home). Again, quality build, great pups & electrics, very controllable tonally. It's also pretty lightweight for a 5'er. They tend to go very reasonably second-hand too. Mine was new, but in a sale - so I had a good few quid off :) IMO the SR500 and SR505 are rather underrated basses.

Another recommendation from me, would be the Squier, early China-made Classic Vibe basses, if you're looking for more traditional instruments like a P or J bass.
My 2008 / 2009 CV Precision is a superb bass, and there are times when I wish I'd kept my 2010/11 CV P in Fiesta Red.
That said, the newer CV range made in Indonesia are pretty good too. I tried one of their earlier Jazz basses, and that was OK - but I've played a couple of the more recent ones and I think they've improved.

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peavey Milestone. These have been available in J & P configurations at various times. Basic, but solid, lightweight, comfy, nice players, good tone, reliable (might have to tweak or replace the jack socket at some point) and readily available s/h for under £100.

Edited by Earbrass
  • Like 1

Ibanez Mezzo series.

I have 2, a 4 and a 5.

The 5 is stock, and the 4 has EMGs and an EMG 2 band EQ.

I think I paid £270 ish for the 5, and £199 for the 4, both new. Admittedly the 4 has another £350 worth of upgrades in it now, but only because the basic bass was worth it.

I think they are fantastic. 32 inch scale. Lovely neck profiles (particularly the 5) and they sound far better than their price point.

The stock EQ is the weak link but the pickups are good enough to bin the preamp and use them passive.

Both of mine have Dunlop stainless steel Flatwounds on them and they sound ace.

• Like 2

Another vote for Yamaha...  I've had loads, from a BB3000S down to my current RBX460. £170, and it's a cracker with a good setup and flats. Even an RBX170 I found for a friends son was a belter and under a ton on fleabay. Anything from Yamaha or Ibanez can stand up against gear twice the price. 

I love to find good quality affordable gear, and as long as it's set up correctly and sounds how you want it to, it's a bass for life. I'd rather have a few sub £500 basses to chose from than a couple of expensive ones.

• Like 3

I recently picked up one of the Bass Collection Guy Pratt Betsy models, got it s/h with a nice gig bag from Bass Direct for £450.  Pretty standard Jazz bass fayre but with EMGs like the actual Betsy. Excellent finish and I really can’t fault it.

‘Cheap’ basses (and guitars) really aren’t what they used to be!  I got one of the Harley Benton Les Paul copies from thomann in the summer for £238 delivered and it’s absolutely brilliant! 

• Like 2

I had an Ibanez ATK 310 (the mint green one). Not a particularly good looking bass, but that pickup did a fine impression of a Stingray, and was easily the nicest neck I have ever played. Not that common right now, and Ibanez would do well to reintroduce it into their range. The only one I've ever really regretted selling.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

I recently picked up one of the Bass Collection Guy Pratt Betsy models, got it s/h with a nice gig bag from Bass Direct for £450.  Pretty standard Jazz bass fayre but with EMGs like the actual Betsy. Excellent finish and I really can’t fault it.

‘Cheap’ basses (and guitars) really aren’t what they used to be!  I got one of the Harley Benton Les Paul copies from thomann in the summer for £238 delivered and it’s absolutely brilliant! 

I agree. Old tw*ts like me remember the 70s, looking to buy a bass back then as a teenager meant Columbus, Jedson, CSL, Westone etc as we couldn't afford Fenders. Funny how those brands are thought of with such fondness 40 years later.... because my memory is that they were mostly pretty bad.... with a few exceptions. Old, does not necessarily mean good, it just means old. SO yes I agree with you, the more affordable basses of today are head and shoulders above most of that "vintage" Japanese stuff that I remember. 

• Like 1

Today there are loads of good basses for £500. I'm a big fan of the Bass Collection Nanyo SGC range - search around and you can find one for around £150 - you'll get loads of bass for your buck. There's a whole thread here where you'll find out why you should.

You'll also find G&L basses in that price bracket. I'm a big fan of the SB2 - and you'll find them available for around £300.

Lots of Squiers in your budget - I really rate the Standard model (PJ) - again you'll find these for around £200.

Sires - there is good reason why everybody has owned one - amazing basses for under £200. 

If you can find a NS Spector for around £300-350 snap it up.

All the above basses are miles ahead of basses that were available when I started playing back in the 80s.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Today there are loads of good basses for £500. I'm a big fan of the Bass Collection Nanyo SGC range - search around and you can find one for around £150 - you'll get loads of bass for your buck. There's a whole thread here where you'll find out why you should.

You'll also find G&L basses in that price bracket. I'm a big fan of the SB2 - and you'll find them available for around £300.

Lots of Squiers in your budget - I really rate the Standard model (PJ) - again you'll find these for around £200.

Sires - there is good reason why everybody has owned one - amazing basses for under £200. 

If you can find a NS Spector for around £300-350 snap it up.

All the above basses are miles ahead of basses that were available when I started playing back in the 80s.

The SGC bass collection basses really impressed me.

Lovely things.

Shockingly, I’ve never owned one - but have owned Godlyke and Tune basses - of a similar ilk.

Squier 50's Classic Vibe. £330. Classic '54 transition shape, build quality and finish sufficient to give Fender USA execs PTSD, sounds authentic, looks authentic, just beautiful. It makes most £1000 basses look insulting to be asking so much more cash for so little more, if any, extra. A Lindy Fralin pickup and tort pickguard still brings the whole package in comfortably  under 500 sheets.

Harley Benton MB4 in black. £96 last year when an exchange rate blip brought it under the ton. Plays as well as anything costing 500 sheets, light weight, sounds really growly (new word, (c) Bassfinger industries 2021), looks mean, and is an ideal platform for cost effective modding. Fantastic. It makes the stuff from Glarry look like a hideous insult. Ideal gigging tool, and I wouldnt be so upsetmat that getting damaged as I would my Geddy Lee.  Indeed, I carry the Geddy Lee to gigs in its hard case to act as a backup for the HB!

When I were a wee bairn (cue sepia forum theme and Hovis advert music) there was some truly godawful about at the £100 mark, but while their is still plenty of tat there is also a raft of brilliant stuff around for under 500 quid.  We never had it so good.

Vintage V1004SP and V1004DX (replace the 4 with a 5 for the 5er obviously) great basses with through necks and spalted or greatly figured tops which vary a fair bit between examples. Was a stunning 5er in my local Money Traders a few years ago for £250, the top looked like it belonged on a £2k bass it was so striking, like a Marleux for paper round money. 

vintage-v1004dx-bass-guitar-during-a-stuapidmum3e__96213.1440264834.jpg?c=2

A 4 and a 5 on eBay at the moment for low money, tops are nice but not amazing though:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324941670573?hash=item4ba80868ad:g:mXAAAOSwll5hudQP

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334242615066?hash=item4dd2698f1a:g:pyQAAOSwvhthq5t1

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

Vintage V1004SP and V1004DX (replace the 4 with a 5 for the 5er obviously) great basses with through necks and spalted or greatly figured tops which vary a fair bit between examples. Was a stunning 5er in my local Money Traders a few years ago for £250, the top looked like it belonged on a £2k bass it was so striking, like a Marleux for paper round money. 

vintage-v1004dx-bass-guitar-during-a-stuapidmum3e__96213.1440264834.jpg?c=2

A 4 and a 5 on eBay at the moment for low money, tops are nice but not amazing though:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324941670573?hash=item4ba80868ad:g:mXAAAOSwll5hudQP

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334242615066?hash=item4dd2698f1a:g:pyQAAOSwvhthq5t1

I reviewed one of these for Basschat ages ago (still available in Reviews forum but pics are gone). It was awesome, would totally be OK with having kept it.

• Like 2

My first bass in my latter period of playing was a Fender Modern Player Jazz, in fact I had a Mk1 and a Mk2. Once set up they were sublime. I got both for £375 each. They don’t come up second hand that much, 

I expect because it’s a shed load of bass for little coin. I swapped out the Mk2 neck for a fretless neck, it was lush. I think they were easily the best basses I’ve owned in a bang for buck sense, by miles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Machines said:

I reviewed one of these for Basschat ages ago (still available in Reviews forum but pics are gone). It was awesome, would totally be OK with having kept it.

Yeah I regret not buying the one near me, I had a quick play of it and it felt great. From what I can gather there's a lot of variation in the tops.

The HK Custom basses from Germany had a similar vibe to those Vintage ones, wish I'd have grabbed one when they were floating around on eBay for £350, basically a straight ripoff of a Marleaux Consat!:

hk-instruments-custom-bass-6-strings-870

Edited by lemmywinks

7 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Yeah I regret not buying the one near me, I had a quick play of it and it felt great. From what I can gather there's a lot of variation in the tops.

The HK Custom basses from Germany had a similar vibe to those Vintage ones, wish I'd have grabbed one when they were floating around on eBay for £350, basically a straight ripoff of a Marleaux Consat!:

hk-instruments-custom-bass-6-strings-870

Most of my bass playing and owning has centred on P basses. I got a J recently and that would be adventurous for me, were it not that I took a flyer on the Shuker Uberhorn.

My experience with that has put me firmly into the liking weird and wacky, custom and odd. The HKs look good…

5 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Most of my bass playing and owning has centred on P basses. I got a J recently and that would be adventurous for me, were it not that I took a flyer on the Shuker Uberhorn.

My experience with that has put me firmly into the liking weird and wacky, custom and odd. The HKs look good…

That Uberhorn is the best looking bass on this forum!

The HKs were made in Korea and sold by a German importer, the original company is still making basses but unfortunately no longer that particular model. There were a few of the Marleaux copies on eBay many years back then they disappeared, this is the original builder (KHL):

http://wolfguitars3.com

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Thanks 1

Another cheapy worth grabbing is the old Korean Cort C4p, they have a Fishman piezo bridge and really tight build quality despite looking rather plain. I picked one up for £90 and still use it as my backup bass, albeit with a regular bridge due to the original preamp failing. Last one I saw on eBay went for under £200.
s-l1600.jpg

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1