Why become a member? ×

Cheaper Basses I've missed out on...

Bridgehouse

After an earlier exchange with @AndyTravis and a conversation in the Den of Iniquity, it's occurred to me that I've only ever really had either expensive basses (more than £500) or Partscasters (made up from parts, self build, or self assemble/finish etc.)

So, I'm clearly missing out on a huge chunk of basses here.. tell me, fine denizens of Basschat, what would you recommend that meets the following criteria:

- 4 string

- Fretted or fretless

- Less than £500 either new or used

- Active or Passive

- Any manufacturer (the less common the better!)

- You've owned it and really liked it, or thought it to be a great bass for the money

Yes, also never owned a Yamaha bass. Shocking, I know. 

I've had some cracking Yamaha acoustics, and I've got a Yamaha Montage 6 synth which is bloody excellent so I have no idea why I've never looked hard at them..

I don't know my way around their models or numbers tho...

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

Yes, also never owned a Yamaha bass. Shocking, I know. 

I've had some cracking Yamaha acoustics, and I've got a Yamaha Montage 6 synth which is bloody excellent so I have no idea why I've never looked hard at them..

I don't know my way around their models or numbers tho...

That’s why I exist 😂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I’ve got a Yamaha BB604 2005 that was £200 £495 s/h and would still be an absolutely brilliant bass at three times the price. 

My variation on the theme - I think you're getting the gist 😁

(The BB 2004 is the 4 string version of the same model. Sadly don't come up very often).

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

If you can find a bb414, 424…easy

Wot he said.

You can get the BB614 fretless, I saw one in Hobgoblin Music (Birmingham) a few months ago for £175. If it was a better colour and not so roadworn i'd have had it, despite the fact I don't play fretless. Probably should have had it anyway and made a few quid on it's flippage.

EDIT: You can get TRBs fretless too, but certainly not under £500.

Edited by Machines
  • Thanks 1

New, I think the Sire v7 basses are the best instruments in their price range. They're well made, and the preamp is actually really good and usable, unlike a lot of sub £500 basses.

Used, you can get loads. I picked up a Yamaha Attitude Standard for about £400, and an MTD Kingston Heir for well under £300. I even found my old Fender Bullet B30 for under £300.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Doddy said:

New, I think the Sire v7 basses are the best instruments in their price range. They're well made, and the preamp is actually really good and usable, unlike a lot of sub £500 basses.

Used, you can get loads. I picked up a Yamaha Attitude Standard for about £400, and an MTD Kingston Heir for well under £300. I even found my old Fender Bullet B30 for under £300.

There's some great shouts there for further investigation!

The MTD sounds interesting, but I doubt I'd find a B30 for under £500 these days.. shame as I really do like the look of them, but I'm determined to try some cheaper end instruments rather than falling into the trap of just going up a bit more in price. 

Never tried a Sire. I really ought to as well. 

14 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Also take a look at some of the musicman sub/Sterling range (not the USA Sterling.)
they play and sound great with right strings and set up 

I've had a USA Stingray - liked it a lot but it wasn't getting played enough to justify hanging on to it. I'm hoping if I got a few cheaper basses I wouldn't feel I needed to get rid of them so quick if they weren't getting used as much. I don't use my partscasters as much as I could, but there's no way they are going! 

• Like 1

@Bridgehousejust curious - you say you're "missing out", but is there anything you feel that your current herd is not bringing to the party? Or are you looking to trade down to something cheaper? 

In my case I've found a bass (my BB 2005) that I instantly fell for and, because I don't feel precious about it or worried it might get dinged when out at the Dog n Duck in the same way I certainly did about the bass it replaced, it's already become a goto gigging bass for me. The fact that it sounds great and plays / feels beautifully obviously doesn't hurt either! 

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Bridgehousejust curious - you say you're "missing out", but is there anything you feel that your current herd is not bringing to the party? Or are you looking to trade down to something cheaper? 

In my case I've found a bass (my BB 2005) that I instantly fell for and, because I don't feel precious about it or worried it might get dinged when out at the Dog n Duck in the same way I certainly did about the bass it replaced, it's already become a goto gigging bass for me. The fact that it sounds great and plays / feels beautifully obviously doesn't hurt either! 

Nope. Don’t think I’m missing out on anything. The two main basses I’ve got are absolute keepers and the partscasters are going nowhere either. In fact, it’s probably the first time I’ve had a crop that I’m not thinking of moving on at all.

This was more of a realisation that I’ve not had a cheaper bass before - and I’ve got the usual curiosity gas that one gets from time to time, and I’m wondering if I should satisfy that with some more bargain oriented goodness.

@Al Krow Actually, one thing I’ve not got is a choice of fretted and fretless which play well and sound good that I wouldn’t mind leaning against a window ledge down the dog and duck. 

I can’t see myself taking the Shuker for such a gig - recording and jams, yeah, but get within 5 metres of joe public? Nope. 

Not quite the same for the CS Jazz, but I’d prefer not to have to watch out for 4 grands worth of Jazz in a tent in a muddy field. 

So perhaps the giggable and not worry angle is one factor. Specially for fretless. 

2 minutes ago, jd56hawk said:

I bought this for $425...mint, better than new because new they go for $900.

As far as I know this is the only one with this finish.

Yes, it plays and sounds even better than it looks.

L.jpg

What the heck is that, and why isn’t it available over here? That’s got a proper Ampeg vibe going on and looks great.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

What the heck is that, and why isn’t it available over here? That’s got a proper Ampeg vibe going on and looks great.

Italia Imola 

Italia Guitars is a musical instruments manufacturer company that produces retro-styled electric guitars and basses. The company was founded in 1998 with a line of guitars designed in England by luthier Trevor Wilkinson and manufactured in South Korea.

• Thanks 1