Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2022 - Sunday 9th October

scrumpymike

Thank you @scrumpymike and family/friends - awesome day out with beautiful food and the best company!

It was great to catch up with everyone.

Emlyn loved his first bass bash, and is absolutely landed with his prize, so again, thank you @fiatcoupe432 for donating the bass and @yorks5stringerfor donating the gig bag to the draw!  Also thank you @BreadBinfor the pedal.  This means I get my own bass and zoom pedal back from the dark depths of the lad’s room!

Played @wrinkleygit’s @Jabba_the_gut hollow-bodied fretless - I now “get” fretless!  I need one (of Jabba’s) in my life, together with one of @stevie’s new cabs.  What a combination that would be!!!

Thank you everyone 🙏

• Like 5

Just back home after doing over 650km in the last 36h ... why!?!?

To attend the Big Fat South West Bass Bash.

It was my very first bass bash, in fact it was (As far as I am aware) the first time I'd been in close proximity to more than a couple of musicians who play bass ever!  And every millimetre of the drive was more than worth it!

Are you tired S'manth: Totally Exhausted!

Was it worth the epic journey: Without a shadow of a doubt!

It was delightful to meet so many folks I've only "known" here on BC and in person they are just as lovely (Maybe even 117% more lovely)!

Such a a vast array of instruments, cabs, amps, and other goodies ... the GAS was strong but I was able to resist (Well mostly lol).

I cannot rain down adequate superlatives on all that went on (Post drive brain drain) but ... if you can go next time

father-tedand-doyle.gif

S'manth xxx

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Smanth said:

Just back home after doing over 650km in the last 36h ... why!?!?

To attend the Big Fat South West Bass Bash.

It was my very first bass bash, in fact it was (As far as I am aware) the first time I'd been in close proximity to more than a couple of musicians who play bass ever!  And every millimetre of the drive was more than worth it!

Are you tired S'manth: Totally Exhausted!

Was it worth the epic journey: Without a shadow of a doubt!

It was delightful to meet so many folks I've only "known" here on BC and in person they are just as lovely (Maybe even 117% more lovely)!

Such a a vast array of instruments, cabs, amps, and other goodies ... the GAS was strong but I was able to resist (Well mostly lol).

I cannot rain down adequate superlatives on all that went on (Post drive brain drain) but ... if you can go next time

father-tedand-doyle.gif

S'manth xxx

Thanks Smanth, so very pleased you were able to come along.

• Like 1

image.png.14de2acb9da5a8ca376fcf5f200ff9c0.png

As an ICU nurse, I can spot arrhythmia at 100 paces, tweak vent settings to near perfection and ease the terrible burden that my patients and their loved one's are under when they need the care in our unit.

BUT!!!

My memory for names is abysmal!

Would all of you who I connected with today please drop me a PM so I can reach out!?

S'manth xxx

• Like 1

A thoroughly fab day, lots of great basses and amps. The Jabba semi-hollow fretless was fantastic, shame my fretless accuracy isn't. @fiatcoupe432's Passini with the picolo strings was  fun too. 

However it's the people that make the event worthwhile. Talking to friends from previous events, making new ones, that's the fun. The basses are just an excuse. 

Many thanks to @scrumpymike and family for the organisation!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To make such a great day like today there's a number of success factors. Firstly great organisation and infrastructure( Mike and his entourage), secondly great attendees (some who drove 100's of miles each way) and thirdly some fantastic basses and cabs. Tick, tick, tick. We should all  feel great pride in the joint achievement and look forward to the next one.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, wrinkleygit said:

Big thank you to Mrs Scrumpy and the Scrumpets for feeding us and to Mike for organising another brilliant day out, so much stuff to try out, highlight for me was the 8” cab @Phil Starr, beginning to regret not trying to take that one home !!!

That was mine. It was all wrong, designed to be same size as my After Eighty (the modified Ashdown After Eight). It is far from ideal dimensions and neither Phil or I expected great things from it. Suffice to say we were pleasantly surprised. We will put the dimensions On the first some point. It was made with 18mm ply and could easily go down to 15or maybe 12mm?

• Like 4

This should have come first but massive thanks to the following,

Firstly @scrumpymike and  the Scrumpettes, how they stand the cachoohomy for 6 plus hours… they must love you Mike. 

@Andyjr1515who kindly fettled my nut slots ( ooh er missus) and made my Marcus Miller M2 really playable. 

To, @Phil Starrand @steviefor their help and support both at the bash and through the year. A lot of work and planning goes into those DIY designs and the best of luck with LFSys @stevie

I only put the tablet holder into the raffle at the last minute but the pleasure it gave @Smanthwas heartwarming. 

To everyone else, thanks for making it a great day and forgive me for forgetting your names. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've said how much I enjoyed the cab shoot-out and the LFSys cabs - but very remiss of me not to have thanked the people who made it happen: so thanks to Phil and Stevie. For me, the VERY BEST thing of all is that I didn't need to lift a finger to make it happen 😊

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Another great SW Bass Bash! Wonderful way to spend a sunday.

Highlights for me were @fiatcoupe432's fretless Pedulla (what a bass) & the silver grey thing with the piccolo strings (mad), @sprocketflup's NS upright & his SEI fretless, @stewblack's short scale Reverend Dubking(?), @stevie's new LFSys cabs (look utterly superb, top professional build quality & a sound to match), @yorks5stringer's Nordstrand Acinonyx (what an array of sounds from the one bass), @Woodinblack's Shuker (thing of beauty), @Phil Starr's 6" cab build (ridiculously amazing sound from the tiniest of boxes), @Jabba_the_gut's super micro builds (very short 5er with side leds was ace), the always scrumptious scran & catching up with all you guys & gals again.

Well done to Scrumpy Mike, Mrs Scrumpy & the Scrumpalettes catering team, Graham on the door & raffle, for organising it all & thanks to all the basschatters who came from near & far (getting further every year). Brilliant.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Another great SW Bass Bash! Wonderful way to spend a sunday.

Highlights for me were @fiatcoupe432's fretless Pedulla (what a bass) & the silver grey thing with the piccolo strings (mad), @sprocketflup's NS upright & his SEI fretless, @stewblack's short scale Reverend Dubking(?), @stevie's new LFSys cabs (look utterly superb, top professional build quality & a sound to match), @yorks5stringer's Nordstrand Acinonyx (what an array of sounds from the one bass), @Woodinblack's Shuker (thing of beauty), @Phil Starr's 6" cab build (ridiculously amazing sound from the tiniest of boxes), @Jabba_the_gut's super micro builds (very short 5er with side leds was ace), the always scrumptious scran & catching up with all you guys & gals again.

Well done to Scrumpy Mike, Mrs Scrumpy & the Scrumpalettes catering team, Graham on the door & raffle, for organising it all & thanks to all the basschatters who came from near & far (getting further every year). Brilliant.

Loads of beautiful Instruments 

I loved @Jabba_the_gutshort scale and @stevies cabs 

Then all the rest 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Loads of beautiful Instruments 

I loved @Jabba_the_gutshort scale and @stevies cabs 

Then all the rest 

@Andyjr1515dreadnought was also unbelievable. I m a bit of a guitar player and can only imagine how hard must have been to build that with all the bracing.

Loved the 4 strings too and love the headstock 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

@Andyjr1515dreadnought was also unbelievable. I m a bit of a guitar player and can only imagine how hard must have been to build that with all the bracing.

Loved the 4 strings too and love the headstock 

I keep thinking that I will get one of Andy or Jabba’s and then I buy another amp or cab.,,,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi folks,

Yes the battery combo is mine, and it was a feedback howl that took out a fuse. I sized the original fuse for the size of wires I used, so it did its job, but I need to rethink the internal wiring - anyone know a source of cheap welding cable...

Mrs Mottlefeeder and I made a weekend of our visit, and only got home a couple of hours ago, so somewhat belatedly, may I now add my thanks to the organisers and helpers. 

David

20220819_180116.jpg

• Like 4